Ford replacing F150 5.0's due to oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BigD1
I assume they are replacing long blocks because the blocks can't be rebuilt because of the cheapened sprayed on cylinder liners.

At least not at the dealer level. I don't know why these manufacturer just don't use tried and true iron liners in the aluminum block engines, sure its a few pounds more but reliability is there. I have seen camshafts rebuilt and pitting repaired using this transfer method and flame spraying and they didn't last long. Pass.

We don't know what the issue is - could be rings, piston clearance, liner, any # of issues. It's probably cheaper for the mfg to ship a long block than have a tech replace pistons, rings, etc to maybe fix the issue. They can replace the long block and be done with it and send it to the factory where it can be machined and put back together properly.

PWTA liners are not new - they have been used on the GT-R, GT350, and other high performance vehicles. It's not new but most likely this is one of the few high volume applications. We don't know if it's a lining issue or any one of the other things that cause oil consumption.

It's interesting reading the responses and general disdain for "new and different" here. For the most part new works well. I "took that gamble" 3 times and it's worked out well. 2010 Taurus SHO (new Ecoboost 3.5 and 6F55 @ 130k runs great with minimal maintenance), 2011 F150 with the EB 3.5 (94k and runs great, only issue was the condensation and it does like plugs every 40k), and 2018 Mustang GT, while too early to tell (7500 mi) it should be fine as well. Some designs have issues but as a whole it's not the dire stuff many around here paint it as.

I like the idea in this case of installing new engines. That seems to be the trend anyway. Fewer places are rebuilding engines and transmissions. Send the old ones somewhere where conditions are controlled.

Plus the labor costs should be cheaper.

One side affect that has been nice on the F150 boards has been the V8 vs. Ecoboost threads have seemed to have died down...(I say this as a baby ecoboost owner - the constant drone on this issue ceased to be entertaining years ago). The V8 has certainly seen some issues particularly with the change to both DI and PI among other things...

It is interesting to note that the threshold is 1 qt per 3,000 miles. Used to be 1 qt per 1,000 miles was often deemed acceptable...

Originally Posted by itguy08
We don't know what the issue is - could be rings, piston clearance, liner, any # of issues. It's probably cheaper for the mfg to ship a long block than have a tech replace pistons, rings, etc to maybe fix the issue. They can replace the long block and be done with it and send it to the factory where it can be machined and put back together properly.

PWTA liners are not new - they have been used on the GT-R, GT350, and other high performance vehicles. It's not new but most likely this is one of the few high volume applications. We don't know if it's a lining issue or any one of the other things that cause oil consumption.

It's interesting reading the responses and general disdain for "new and different" here. For the most part new works well. I "took that gamble" 3 times and it's worked out well. 2010 Taurus SHO (new Ecoboost 3.5 and 6F55 @ 130k runs great with minimal maintenance), 2011 F150 with the EB 3.5 (94k and runs great, only issue was the condensation and it does like plugs every 40k), and 2018 Mustang GT, while too early to tell (7500 mi) it should be fine as well. Some designs have issues but as a whole it's not the dire stuff many around here paint it as.

Keep up the great work. We luddites really appreciate it.

as noted pretty generous as others need to sick more than a qt on a thou! that would give girlfriends 13 2.5 DI malibu a replacement, not GM for sure! dealers are generally parts replacers + complete trannys + engines usually go in. you can't just throw in new pistons without proper honing which is a pain in the vehicle.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Good thing at least Ford is being responsible about their issue.

+1

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Throt is right, the odds of it being put back together as good as factory are about the same as getting struck by lightning.

I'm thinking if they can't replace a long block without screwing something up, they need to choose a different profession. They don't deserve the ASE badge. We're talking very basic stuff here. I'm not even a pro and I could do it easily by following the service information.

Toyota took the guts off severely rusted truck frames and put the guts onto new truck frames. How did that go?

(I am thinking that Toyota forced Dana to pay for that. Just a hunch. I think if Toyota had to pay for it they would have exchanged the old to a new truck at a reduced cost.)

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Throt is right, the odds of it being put back together as good as factory are about the same as getting struck by lightning.

I'm thinking if they can't replace a long block without screwing something up, they need to choose a different profession. They don't deserve the ASE badge. We're talking very basic stuff here. I'm not even a pro and I could do it easily by following the service information.

One would hope. I saw my fair share of botched up jobs at dealerships I worked at, for work a lot easier than replacing a long block. Are there guys capable of doing the job correctly? For sure. But for everyone of them I bet there are two that will screw something up.

This is good service from Ford. I suspect that these qualifying defective engines will get worse quickly, and Ford is preventing a Blue Oval Smoke = fail emissions testing & consequent social media fiasco

Originally Posted by KGMtech
This is good service from Ford. I suspect that these qualifying defective engines will get worse quickly, and Ford is preventing a Blue Oval Smoke = fail emissions testing & consequent social media fiasco

I think you're right. They must know they're going to fail in relatively short order, or they'd be saying adding a quart of oil even in 1K miles is normal.

There seems to be an issue with the Mustang GT 5.0 engines, as well. Google Mustang GT 5.0 tick and all sorts of hits pop up. Some have had dealer mechanics say there has been abnormal scoring on the rear most cylinder walls. Replacing short blocks hasn't helped. I drove one of these on a 3500 mile road trip and thought it was an awesome car. Hope they take care of this, too.

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
There seems to be an issue with the Mustang GT 5.0 engines, as well. Google Mustang GT 5.0 tick and all sorts of hits pop up. Some have had dealer mechanics say there has been abnormal scoring on the rear most cylinder walls. Replacing short blocks hasn't helped. I drove one of these on a 3500 mile road trip and thought it was an awesome car. Hope they take care of this, too.

The easiest coyotes had those issues I believe. Are you hearing this about 2018s?

Originally Posted by advocate
But now at 1 quart per 3000 miles they will replace the long block.

I'm really surprised it isn't the usual "1 qt or more per 1000 mile" standard that a lot of car companies use.

Ford will probably be changing out quite a few long blocks if going by the 1 qt per 3000 miles spec.

Originally Posted by hatt

The easiest coyotes had those issues I believe. Are you hearing this about 2018s?

Yes, '18s and I believe 19s, too.

Yes, the Gen3 Coyote in the 2018+ Mustangs have some issues going on too. Same basic engine as what's in the new F-150s.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yes, the Gen3 Coyote in the 2018+ Mustangs have some issues going on too. Same basic engine as what's in the new F-150s.

Way to go Ford. They figured out how to have issues with a pretty solid engine.

1 quart in 3,000 miles and they're replacing the engine? The funny thing is I always thought the 5.0 in the F150 was the lesser of two evils.

Originally Posted by itguy08

Lets see "new and different", first US liner less aluminum block in the Chevy Vega, first cylinder deactivation system in a US car GM 8-6-4 are just a couple that come to mind. No disdain for new or different here but definitely a disdain for crap technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back