kia sorento?

Status
Not open for further replies.
came across some good deals (sub $20k) on new 2019 kia sorento L, fwd, 2.4 four cylinder, 7 seat base model. i may need an suv with cargo room/7 seats. won't offroad (well maybe some rutted dirt roads). won't tow. hate sunroof, leather. really love and only want bare bones simplicity of a base model vehicle.

what is collective wisdom on the sorento? thanks!

We had one for a few days a few months ago.

But it was older

Longitudinal V-6...manual...AWD...sunroof and leather.

I loved it, but never had to fill it up, it was a loaner...it gave me thoughts of what could have been...dark complexion, go anywhere together that didn't require a ladder chassis and a lift kit.

Originally Posted by jstert
came across some good deals (sub $20k) on new 2019 kia sorento L, fwd, 2.4 four cylinder, 7 seat base model. i may need an suv with cargo room/7 seats. won't offroad (well maybe some rutted dirt roads). won't tow. hate sunroof, leather. really love and only want bare bones simplicity of a base model vehicle.

what is collective wisdom on the sorento? thanks!

Great vehicles. Get it. If I could have gotten an equally good deal on a Sorento as we I got on the Sportage, I would have gotten it.

Do some research on the 4 banger performance in the heavier Sorrento. It's both slow and thirsty. It's the same issue as the 4 banger in the Toyota Highlander. The V-6 in the Sorento LX model is a better fit.

Our friends have the V6 version and it's a 2017 and they love it. The engine might be under powered with the 2.4 so before you lay down the cash put it through its paces to see if you are fine with the way it responds.

If you are happy with the performance buy it, great vehicle.

The 2.4 makes 190hp so it does not feel super slow to me; but if FULLY loading it up/towing then yea the V6 would work better.

We are buying a 2015 tonight for my BiL, 2.4 FWD LX. Same as the Santa Fe just Kia version. So they are reliable if taken care of.

Isn't the 2.4 the engine Hyundai/Kia has had problems with?

Overall Kia is a great brand, we have been super happy with ours and our daughter also has a 15 Soul bought new, mostly due to our positive experience. Also been a great vehicle.

What an amazing voice and a sweet song, Thanks!

shocked.gif
Oh, the KIA Sorrento? Yeah, good vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KCJeep
Isn't the 2.4 the engine Hyundai/Kia has had problems with?

Overall Kia is a great brand, we have been super happy with ours and our daughter also has a 15 Soul bought new, mostly due to our positive experience. Also been a great vehicle.

Yea some were not machined properly. They said it was "debris" that was not cleaned, but that did not make sense. They extended the warranty on the motor. Have several customers with that motor and so far not failures. Less than 10 total so not a large sample but one I keep a eye on. Many of them have 100k+ now.

So should not be an issue for newer one in the last year or so.

Depends on your driving habits. If it's just you most of the time you could probably get by. But if you plan on using the 3rd row seat, drive with passengers a lot or with loads, probably want to go with the 6. I have a 2012 in the 2.4 with just me most of the time and in the flats, it's just ok. When I take trips and get into uphills, it's a chore. My engine was one that fell under the recall - it's been checked out as ok, swapped out the dipstick to show that, and extended the warranty. I'm sitting at 124K and had it since new. It's been really problem free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Do some research on the 4 banger performance in the heavier Sorrento. It's both slow and thirsty. It's the same issue as the 4 banger in the Toyota Highlander. The V-6 in the Sorento LX model is a better fit.

That would be my concern as well.
I have the 3.3 vs in my Santa Fe, and it is nice. Never leaves me wanting for sure.
The 2.4, I just don't see it being enough, even unloaded. I don't see any advantage to the 4 cyl except initial cost, but fuel mileage may be worse, and being unhappy with the power is just not worth it.
I am really surprised they even offer that, Hyundai only offers the v6 in their 7 seater.
You need to ask yourself, why are they selling it for so cheap?

thanks for all the info! most of the time will be two of us, but occasionally need extra room for visitors with kids and ikea runs, which makes a new 2019 4cyl sorento attractive at $20k. i've driven my sister's 2006 4cyl toyota highlander, so am familiar with a non compact suv powered by 4 not 6: not bad cruising but not great fully loaded, in hills, quick passing. the 6cyl sorento seems to run $24k new. i normally buy used and my target spend is $20k.

now that i've got some useful feedback next step is the very dreaded trip to car dealer for test drive, hard sell, etc.

Did they ever make the 2-row version with a v6? all the used ones i see have the 3rd row which i thought was optional until 2019

I rent them from time to time. I though the Kia was a better driving compact SUV than the Chinese made Buick envision.

Not as luxurious, but more responsive.

As mentioned above, Kia/Hyundai has had a very large number of engine issues/failures. Make sure you know which engines are failing. The problem does not seem to be resolved. Both the 2.0 and 2.4L engines are subject to the problems.

Note: It's not related to debris as first thought. That was simply a way to blame the plant that made the engines. The design has a limited lifespan. It's my belief that more frequent oil changes and the use of very high quality oil of sufficient viscosity will help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back