Recommended lab for short tripper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an oil change schedule for my vehicle and I was thinking about getting a UOA because I've reached 50k miles AND I've been bassicaly short tripping the vehicle (approx 22 mile daily commute 4-days week) for the past year or so. So imo the primary focus is on water and fuel dilution.

Which lab do you guys think are the best in this regard? I've used BS in the past for single-pass curiosity analysis.

Last edited:
OAI/Polaris. For a single test you can just order the test kit off amsoil no need to be a PC or anything like that.

22miles/day isnt a short trip in my eyes though. You need to be about 10 or less per day to qualify.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I have an oil change schedule for my vehicle and I was thinking about getting a UOA because I've reached 50k miles AND I've been bassicaly short tripping the vehicle (approx 22 mile daily commute 4-days week) for the past year or so. So imo the primary focus is on water and fuel dilution.
Which lab do you guys think are the best in this regard? I've used BS in the past for single-pass curiosity analysis.

Assuming 11 miles one way 22 round trip, I'd not consider this real short tripping. If you take a longer trip weekly it ought to be enough to burn off any fuel water in the system.

Originally Posted by Donald
NAPA at $16.00 seems like a good deal. I have used them for the past 5+. $16 includes TBN.

Is this 22 mile, each way or round trip?

Round trip.

Originally Posted by Pelican

Assuming 11 miles one way 22 round trip, I'd not consider this real short tripping. If you take a longer trip weekly it ought to be enough to burn off any fuel water in the system.

My vehicle has an I6 and has an oil temp gauge which travels approx 1/2 the distance between no read and normal operating temp by the time I arrive at my destination.

You may be correct in that it's not technically a short tripper. I haven't been road tripping the car so much this year because I'm outside the factory warranty period and I have to sell the car.

Last edited:
Why is the lab for short tripper and long tripper different?

May be I am gullible?

Last edited:
Depending on your location in Atlanta, you may be able to drop off the Napa/Wix analysis kit at ALS directly, bypassing the post office.

3121 Presidential Dr, Atlanta, GA 30340

Originally Posted by JMJNet

May be I am gullible?

Some people have mentioned that Blackstone's method for testing fuel dilution isn't as accurate as other labs.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

May be I am gullible?

Some people have mentioned that Blackstone's method for testing fuel dilution isn't as accurate as other labs.

Thats a nice way of putting it.
Blackstone is straight guessing what fuel dilution is.
Its literally every 20F below the expected flashpoint is 1% of fuel. And the expected flashpoint is pulled out of a hat with no decernable reasoning for why a particular number is picked.

UPDATE: No sample taken. The technician forgot and I'm kinda bummed.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back