Amsoil vs Royal Purple - Project Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Onetor
Amsoil won by 8 cm. Yippie!....How does this work in my engine? Well, that's different. But, I still enjoyed the vid for entertainment purposes.....

Should have used RP HPS 5w30 or Redline,would have been a closer comparison.

Do Amsoil or RP publish noack numbers?
It will be interesting to see if this guy's weight loss test results are close to the real noack numbers.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Do Amsoil or RP publish noack numbers?
It will be interesting to see if this guy's weight loss test results are close to the real noack numbers.

Amsoil does, not sure about RP.

Originally Posted by lawnguy
Should have used RP HPS 5w30 or Redline,would have been a closer comparison.

^^This. RP's top of the line PCMO vs Amsoil's top of the line PCMO.

Wow another Amsoil thread from Steve.
Everyone look at how great it is-it beats purple Valvoline in a useless test.
Reality is both will get you many miles down the road.
Must be a slow day for some.

Here's some data from PQIA
All these oil were tested around 2013 / 2014
So really numbers today may be a little different

TBN NOACK 1hr @ 250c
RP 8.7 10.9
Amsoil 12.8 7.6
Kendall GT 8.7 10.7
Mobil 1 9.7 10.1
Pennzoil 9.0. 9.3
QS 8.5 8.8

All 5W-30 were tested

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Wow another Amsoil thread from Steve.
Everyone look at how great it is-it beats purple Valvoline in a useless test.
Reality is both will get you many miles down the road.
Must be a slow day for some.

I see your scroll wheel on your mouse is broken.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Honestly, after watching that video, I must agree that AMSOIL definitely has something going for it. It appears, at least from the tests he did, to be very robust. I'm quite impressed that, even after the cooking it endured, it still flows better than virgin Royal Purple.

I know the Amsoil does have a couple ringers, let's say, when it comes to their cold weather numbers, as does Petro-Canada. I don't need a pour point test to show me this, though. What the video author probably doesn't realise (and I'm not going to watch the video to find out; I've seen more than enough pour point nonsense over the years) is that ILSAC lubes already leapfrog the CCS and MRV numbers for their grade, and that will include Amsoil and RP offerings.

I know full well that RP 5w-30 and any of the Amsoil 5w-30 ILSAC type offerings will spank in CCS and MRV the 5w-XX HDEOs I've run over the past number of years. On the flip side, Petro-Canada conventional 5w-30 ILSAC will spank both RP 5w-40 and Amsoil 5w-40 HDEOs on the same test and for the same reasons.

Good points Garak...and anything that's dexos has to beat the MRV and CCS (note THESE define the W grade, not glug tests) maximums by in excess of 30%.

Yes, you were the one who first pointed it out here that GM explicitly demands that. The ILSAC rated oils really have never had a problem within grade, but GM codified it. Maybe GM really pities the cold weather dwellers. After all, they've historically allowed 0w-30 for those who needed it.
wink.gif

This guys drops a bunch of useless races/"tests" and people start calling RP a mediocre oil. Ridiculous

Originally Posted by SlavaB
This guys drops a bunch of useless races/"tests" and people start calling RP a mediocre oil. Ridiculous

There are very few RP fanboys here on BITOG. The main reason being there are oils like QSUD, PP, EDGE, and M1 that are arguably superior products that are half the price.

It's not that RP is a bad oil, It's a good group III oil that is Dexos rated in the API version. The issue is the others are just as good or better for less money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by SlavaB

There are very few RP fanboys here on BITOG. The main reason being there are oils like QSUD, PP, EDGE, and M1 that are arguably superior products that are half the price.

It's not that RP is a bad oil, It's a good group III oil that is Dexos rated in the API version. The issue is the others are just as good or better for less money.

I didn't see much of the data to cover this statement. Yeah I get it, all SN plus, all group 3 and others. Yet you know that VOA and spec is not everything. All I'm sure about is my car purrs on RP and noisy like a trash can on M1. BTW it's not that expensive- AAP sells it for $35 for 5qt and M1 filter delivered, which brings the oil price to $25. Will push it to 5-6k miles and send out to Blackstone to see the results

Last edited:
I started using Amsoil 0W-30 oil at 118,000 miles on my 1993 Civic. Now with 560,000 miles, engine runs like a sewing machine, doesn't burn or leak any oil.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by harry j
I started using Amsoil 0W-30 oil at 118,000 miles on my 1993 Civic. Now with 560,000 miles, engine runs like a sewing machine, doesn't burn or leak any oil.

Amsoil ðŸ‘...Ž

Originally Posted by donnyj08

There are very few RP fanboys here on BITOG.

Correct. Despite the reoccurring contention, there are no RP "fanbois" here. At least none that I know of. Has there been tons of irrational, misplaced hate of RP through the years? YES!

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Royal purple is a good oil regardless of how BITOG perceives it to be.

You are absolutely right about that. I don't use RP, but I know for a fact it is a fine oil. The rest of their industrial products are awesome, too.

Probably just fine - only if it's priced the same as Amsoil, but is not better than the main 3 or 4 on the shelf - this is not the place you will find fans.

I know a guy with a 3/4 ton diesel that says RP HDEO hung the moon.
However, DNewton comes on here often armed with data to say that motor is not picky about oil in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back