Logic of Oil Stashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive never been one to stash oil before. but now i have started! plus i have found a good deal on Mobil 1 syn and Pennzoil Platinum so i am stocking up big time!

when oil goes up i will be laughing! heck it could stay this same price and i will still be laughing!

im in the early stages of the disease...

currently:

10qts of Trop Artic 5w30
10qts of Havoline 5w30
14qts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
15qts of Mobil 1 EP syn 5w30
5qts of Mobil 1 syn 5w30
-----

that comes out to 54qts! excellent...

and i am getting 25 more quarts of Mobil 1 EP tommorrow :)

79qts....yummy

-Bo

A rhetorical question -- do any of us buy oil other than by the case?

I don't think I've ever purchased individual quarts, except when changing oil for somebody else, and he used something radically different than what I stock for myself.

I've got 28 quarts of GC... I bought them all quart by quart (usually in sets of 6 with the free oil folter at AutoZone).

How do you buy them by the case? Autozone doesn't seem to have GC in a case available to be purchased. Sure would make buying GC a lot easier
tongue.gif

I know at Advance, I just ask them if they have a case of whatever I'm looking for in the back. They usually do. You also get to look around in the back and see whatever other oils they have yet to stock.

i buy oil by case and by jug. my truck takes 5qts so ive been stocking up on 5qt. jugs. but the wifes car only takes 3.5qts! so i buy oil by the case.

-Bo

^ that is one thing that ****** me off about Walmart.

They either have it in Quarts or Jugs, or sometimes just quarts like troparctic
i mean back in the day it was fine cause i would just go to the store every time i needed an oil change, now i like having the stuff on hand so i can do it whenever i want so i buy at least a case at a time and
they hardly ever have it in cases.

Kestas, I wish I bought it by the case... I have all these loose bottles, split evenly between quarts and gallon/5qt containers. It's the loose bottles that go on clearance or are sold by Rite-aid, etc. I miss the experience of grabbing a case and tossing it in the back of the pickup truck with the other "provisions".
grin.gif

For example, walmart's case prices are exact multiples of how many quarts are inside. 5 quart containers on the shelf have a cheaper unit price.
frown.gif
I think the last case of 12 quarts I've bought (auto parts store) was of Pennzoil Longlife 15w40; wierd when one pictures a trucker filling an 11 gallon sump with quart bottles.
dunno.gif

I did buy a cheesy metal utility shelf (walmart) and painted its dowdy grey color a cool black, so my stash is "on display".

When I first joined this site, I was amazed by people that had an oil stash. I couldn't figure out why anybody would need that much oil.

But I have to admit...I have become "one of them". After reading about Green GC, I went and stocked 37 qts. of it. Now, Wal-Mart is price matching the Pep Boys mail-in rebate special on Pennz. Platinum. So, this past week I've purchased 36 qts. of PP for $1.99.

I change oil on 5 different vehicles so my stash won't last too long. I will say though I'm kind of addicted to "stashing" right now!

Haven't visited much lately and saw this thread while I was looking for another with slightly more relevant details to something I'm discussing. Long story short, I should have taken my own advice. I have so many random odds and ends bottles of oils and additives that 13 years later I haven't used. 13 years....geesh. I still have multiple bottles of SLOB (10 points if you know what that is), AutoRX, some of that Castrol Tection Extra 15W40 I mentioned in this post, and multiple quarts of 10W40 I haven't had a use for in years. Good news is I've only had one bottle deteriorate over there years. I still get rid of stuff a top off here and there at the time. It hasn't grenaded any of my fancy, new reliable engines, lol. Honestly, since all my cars went to long intervals, oil is such a back of the mind topic.

At 26 quarts, with 3 cars at 5,000 OCI each, I don't feel like I even have a stash compared to most of you guys, I'm just taking advantage of the M1 and PP rebates. When I start to measure it in gallons, I'll start calling it a stash. Definitely feeling like small potatoes in this group. :)

Was going to say why resurrect a 13 year old thread, but being the OP with a follow up, that is allowed.

I agree to a point that a huge stash can be a dangerous thing. It is a matter of knowing what your buying and what you will be using, and price.
While it is impossible to see into the future, I know for me that I am fine with the stash I have for the vehicles I service and any near future vehicle purchases.

My oil change vehicles and qts per change:
2002 F150- xw-20 - 6 qts (once a year change, uses 2 qts top off per OCI)
2004 F150: xw-20 - 7 qts (2x a year change, uses 1 qt top off per OCI)
2007 Saturn Vue: xw-30 - 5 qts (7000 miles, about once a year)
2010 Santa Fe: xw-20 or xw-30 - 5 qts (7500 miles, twice a year, uses 1 qt top off per OCI)
2012 Scion xB: 0w-20 - 4qts (once a year change)
2018 Santa Fe: xw-30 or 5w-40 - 6 qts (5000 mile interval, once or twice a year)
1994 Honda Shadow xw-40 - 3.5 qts (annual change)

I have:
27 qts of 0w-20 and 22 qts of 5w-20, no problem using that up with the 2 trucks using ~24 qts a year.
5 qts of 5w-30, will be used in a few months in the Saturn
45 qts 10w-30 (some of it being SN+), will take me a while to use this, but I can use it in both Hyundai's and the Saturn with no issues, and the Scion as well.
My 16 qts of 5w-40, that will take a long time till I get to that. That was a total impulse buy, probably should not have gotten it, but I can use it in the Hyundai's and my motorcycle.
The 22 qts of 15w-40 I bought was also overkill. I use 3.5 qts a year, so I am set for a long time. But @ $1.75/gallon...

I have set a new standard for me buying oil though, I will not buy any more unless it is free after rebate.
It was $1/qt or less for synthetic, but that is how I ended up with 16 qts of 5w-40 and 10 qts of 10w-30.

Yeah, the attitude for me back then was "BUY ALL THE OIL!" I've resorted to using old bottles of Lucas HD oil stabilizer as my 2 stroke oil of choice. Oh, and also for bar and chain lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back