‘18 3.5 EcoBoost recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my first few posts - fairly long time lurker/surfer here...Ž

My new F150 has the 3.5tt, and it is my first turbo vehicle ever, and I'm loving it. 7k on odo, just did second change.
However in decades of various naturally aspirated vehicles from many Japanese I4s and V6s and many American V8s, I've honestly not thought that much about the oil I chose other than viscosity and interval. In the last decade I've gravitated to synthetics as my vehicle have gotten a little more expensive/advanced, and more demands put on them as I'm pulling a 24' boat regularly.

I probably wouldn't have even posted this had it not been for mention of Ford changing their spec from SN to SN+ due to concerns about LSPI ( love the acronyms!)

So, I've heard mention of suggested 5w-30 oils in no particular order of PP, Magnatec, RGT, and M1, and maybe a few I'm forgetting. Now I have analysis paralysis! But all ears and looking for some guidence.
FWIW, for my second oil change, I thought I was being smart and went PUP, but in hindsight it might not be the best for my application. DOH!

Attached is my UOA, which at least wasn't terribly high in fuel dilution- yes I've heard how Blackstones method is sub par for this.

Thanks for making it through this and TIA any insight!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
There is no one definitive answer as to which synthetic is best. But in my experience of doing UOA's, Motorcraft 5W-30 is not really that ideal for EB engines. Review the Used Oil Posts, there are a fair amount of 3.5 EB UOA's posted. I have a 2.3 EB in an Explorer and I'm happy with the UOA results I've gotten and so far with Mobil 1 5W-30. Plus I've accumulated a fair amount of Mobil 1 5W-30 using Mobil's twice annual MIR that lowered the 5 quart jug price to ~$11-$14/5 qt jug. I did an UOA for a 4,275 mi OC using Motorcraft 5W-30 for the late summer/late fall and it sheared well into the lower mid 20 wt category, though the wear metals were ok. The Mobil 1 5W-30 resisted shearing much better and at a greater OCI.

Whimsey

Whimsy- was that semi syn or full? Seems their new full syn is SN+, which caught my eye. But I don't know if it's been out long enough for any UOAs?

Thanks hulkster - yes hear that regularly. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Last edited:
Your new engine sheared down that Motorcraft oil, in some combination with a small amount of fuel dilution.
That 8.2 viscosity is a actually a 20 weight oil, not great.
With a turbo and the possibility of fuel dilution, even a little, its better to choose a slightly thicker 5w30, and make it dexos1 Gen2 since they are extremely easy to get and beat all Ford oil minimum specs.
I would pick M1 AP, or QSUD or RGT, all on the thicker side to soak up any permanent shearing and/or fuel dilution in a turbo application.

Another vote for Castrol Magnatec 5W-30....it just really seems to work well in these engines.

Originally Posted by noclutch
Whimsy- was that semi syn or full? Seems their new full syn is SN+, which caught my eye. But I don't know if it's been out long enough for any UOAs?

Thanks hulkster - yes hear that regularly. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

FWIW, the more I see the more I'm convinced that Magnatec is just a great oil for everything, full stop, and it's sure priced right.

Hey No Clutch,

Welcome! I have a 13 3.5 and I am in the same boat as you. I think I am going to be trying RGT at my next oil change. I want something thicker and on the cheaper end as well but with great protection. I currently use PP/and PUP and those are on the thinner side. With our turbos being oil and coolant cooled I want a oil that can hold up to high heat.

Can't escape the Rotella gastruck mafia anywhere on this site. Hard pass.

OP - magnatec has a BUNCH of great UOA's from ford ecoboost products. I'd be using that with confidence, along with a reasonable OCI to counteract fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Can't escape the Rotella gastruck mafia anywhere on this site. Hard pass.

OP - magnatec has a BUNCH of great UOA's from ford ecoboost products. I'd be using that with confidence, along with a reasonable OCI to counteract fuel dilution.

Just curious, why wouldn't you give the RGT a try?

My vote goes to QS Synthetic
Logged 120K in my 2012 F150 3.5 Ecoboost before I trade
for my F250 6.2L
Not one issue with QS
I've run it for years and still do today
QS Synthetic also meets Honda's HTO -06 turbo specs

Originally Posted by kstanf150
My vote goes to QS Synthetic
Logged 120K in my 2012 F150 3.5 Ecoboost before I trade
for my F250 6.2L
Not one issue with QS
I've run it for years and still do today
QS Synthetic also meets Honda's HTO -06 turbo specs

Did you run the 5w30?
No timing chain rattle when you traded it in?

Mobil 1 and QSUD would be other options besides Magnatec that are "thicker" 5w30s.

I'd run whatever SN+ D1G2 5w30 I preferred during warranty and then switch to a 5w40/0w40 post-warranty if it were my truck. the 3.5tt seems hard on oil.

Thanks to all chiming in here!

kstanf150- from what I've heard hear and a specific forum, it's a shearing thing? And the whole "rattle' issue as Evn1ous alluded to, has yet to be nailed down in the Gen 2 EB ( as opposed to gen 1) A FEW have posted that actually going to a 0w-xx was the fix for their cold start rattle, but that's limited anecdotal. Love to hear the opinions on 0w-xx here!

Regarding the rattle, coincidentally or not?, I have noticed a rattle in my EB within a few hundred miles of my last change ( from MC semi to PP....) awfully coincidental! Was that effectively 20w better regarding solenoid or VCT operation?? Tons of theory on the other site about that.

BLND1- yea Ford suddenly sometime late '18 or early '19 deciding that xxx946-A should be upgraded to 946-B1 was the impetus for me to dig into this whole spec thing. I'm like WTH? I follow the owners manual, then they change it! LOL And WHY specifically? Known blown pistons?

I thought about going with MC full synthetic, but don't know if a few of these other companies might do a better job? Who makes MC full anyways?? Does that factory/refinery market the same product without the MC packaging??

Last edited:
Originally Posted by noclutch
Ford suddenly sometime late '18 or early '19 deciding that xxx946-A should be upgraded to 946-B1 was the impetus for me to dig into this whole spec thing. I'm like WTH? I follow the owners manual, then they change it! LOL

The B1 spec is to go along with the LSPI (SN Plus) thing going on now with all the oil makers.

I've been using M1, 10W-30 EP in my 3.5EB since early on (I purchased it new) . 5000 mile OCI's. No issues as I near 100K. I performed a few UOA's early on and was quite satisfied. I know of a similar truck owned by a contract employee who has timing chain issues at the same miles.

Seems to be a perfect oil for my 3.5EB.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Hard on oil in which way ?

Did you look at OP's UOA?

How about this one?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...nnzoil-platinum-5w30-5-7k-mi#Post5025448

Or this one?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...017-ford-f-150-3-5l-ecoboost#Post5009102

Fuel dilution (and if blackstone is showing 2% its probably WAY higher), and shearing down out of grade. Whether that affects ability of the oil to lubricate the engine or not is debatable of course.

Magnatec seems to have good UOA results in this engine (I'm only posting one here... there are several more in the first 5 pages of the UOA forum alone.)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...w-30-6800-miles-3-5-ecoboost#Post4974561

Ignore the above if you don't put any stock in UOA's (they are exceptionally limited, after all).

Last edited:
At work the 3.5 ecoboost get 5K OCI's with about 75% idle time on lowest bidder bulk oil and lowest bidder gasoline. As along as it's API SN and above with a 5W30 following your iOLM your maintenance practices are better than nessary and chasing ppm in UOA's is just allowing yourself to fall into chicken little paranoia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back