Liqui Moly Leichlauf vs Synthoil 0W40 vs Molygen (also vs Castrol, Mobil, Fuchs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

My car has just got off the warranty and I decided to do all the oil changes myself via fluid extractor.

The car is 2013 VW CC with 2.0 TSI engine and DSG trans. It has also been chip tuned with Unitronic Stage 1 ECU and Stage 1 TCU recently. All the oil changes been performed at 7-7.5K and it is driven energetically quite often.

My dealer used to put Castrol 5W30 or 5W40 Professional into it and the first DIY oil change I did with a cheap-o Castrol Edge 5W40 that I got at Costco. The engine burned like 400-500 ml of it in 6000 km. I switched to LIQUI MOLY 5W40 LEICHTLAUF for the second DIY oil change and so far I like it just as I liked Liqui Moly DSG fluid. It seems that the engine runs more smoothly but don't know on the burning rates yet.

However, I am also thinking about LM Molygen 5W40 or LM SynthOil 0W40 as better options potentially. Synthoil seems to be an older but 100% synthetic formula whereas Molygen has the latest additives. Leichlauf is still on the table.

Here is how my current broader selection for oils with all the options on the table looks like:

Castrol Edge 5W40 30-35CAD (the cheapest, oil changes can be done say every 5K?)
Mobil 1 0W40 30-50CAD (often discounts, some complaints on high burning)
FUCHS TITAN GT1 5W40 XTL technology 50CAD (may not be the best since designed with DPF filters in mind)
Liqui Moly 5W30 Long Time Hi-Tec 50-65CAD (same- DPF, low-SAPS, not that good for non-dpf turbo engines)
LIQUI MOLY 5W40 LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH 55-65CAD (seems like a good cost/benefit balance, getting older/cheaper, oil changes at 7-8K. I may add CERATEC for healthy chain?)
LIQUI MOLY 0W40 SYNTH OIL 60CAD (100% synthetic but older and getting cheaper, hard to find)
LIQUI MOLY MOLYGEN NEW GENERATION 5W40 60-75 CAD (is the best? but the most expensive)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

KKh0EqwX4xW2GGMmLbrAENX7ylhWi3IJicgWE7f784a

s9n7o00yzI0c1VCfhNanew0tqBlgoRanUhXD0sIwomX

Last edited:
Yeah. I am kinda torn here too since Castrol is like 2x cheaper so I can go 5K intervals with it without breaking the bank. LM is nice but I am afraid I might be paying a bunch for the brand.
Thanks!

Just get the cheapest 502 or 504 spec, which is usually something on sale from CT. The LM stuff is fine too but not worth double the price. I assume you're looking at Germanparts.ca which is fine but there should be a cheaper Fuchs option on there in 502 spec but it's still going to be more than CT sales.

Edit:
https://germanparts.ca/parts/B151F

Or this is a buck cheaper:
https://germanparts.ca/parts/0332ML

Last edited:
Yep. Exactly. Also, there are no other options (at least known to me) than german parts to get molygen for 60CAD or leichlauf for 50CAD for 5Lx4 combo and their shipping seems to be very reasonable.

When I had VW TSI cars they used to love drinking that Castrol - it's VW's 'recommended' oil but every other brand burnt less in mine. Most recently I used 504 spec Fuchs 5w30 because it had the approval and was good value, but if you're not planning 504 long drain intervals then getting the Mobil 1 seems like good value here. Liqui Moly oils just seem unjustifiably overpriced to me.

VW 504 00 and 507 00 (their latest Gas / Diesel standards) require a low viscosity ESP oil. Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 / 5w30, Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 "Improved ESP" and such. Just look for VW 504 00 / 507 00 on the container and you should be good.

With Liqui Moly - yes you ARE paying tons for the brand (and customs duties / import fees as well, I suspect). Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w30 works just fine when you can get it, or any other Castrol Edge product that says VW 504 00 / 507 00 on the back.

Edge 5W40 is different from Edge 0W40, 0W40 is a much better oil and the same price at CT. Edge 0W40 is Edge 0W30 with more VIs from what I have read on this board.

Paying twice as much for LM on what I assume to be a DD is a little rich for my blood. You have mods, but not enough to justify a boutique like LM.

If you are willing to drop the coin on mods, you should get a UOA even if it's just for fun. The money you save choosing M1/Edge from CT over LM will pay for the UOA.

That's what I noticed with off-the-shelf Castrol Edge. It seemed to burn 100 ml for 1000KM for my car. Mobil is an interesting option but I found number of posts here that it burns for some people.

Last edited:
Long story short, CT usually has Castrol 0W40, Mobil 0w40, and they have the Euro PP LX. These go on sale for about $30-32 and the Pennzoil also has a $10 rebate. Last choice from CT would be Castrol 5W40 which is fine but not quite as good as those previous three. If those are all too boring (lol) then I would order something from GP.ca, the Motul 8100 option there is good too.

Originally Posted by faraway
That's what I noticed with off-the-shelf Castrol Edge. It seemed to burn 100 ml for 1000KM for my car. Mobil is an interesting option but I found number of posts here that it burns for some people.

Try it and see
21.gif
I had minimal consumption in my M5 with M1 0w-40, and I have no discernible consumption with the Castrol 0w-40 in my Jeep.

Well, so far it seems that I either switch to CT and Edge/Mobil 0W40 or wait to catch a deal/discount combo at GP.

i believe the euro spec 5-40 synthetic super-tech is available where you are unlike the USA. oils with the same specs are very similar in everything but price, excepting the real synthetics. save for your decarboning if you keep your car a while. i like Vag cars + have one know but no DI, 2001 jetta went 200,000 + running great when i traded for my current 2001 TT 225Q.good luck with your good lookin ride

I'd go with Castrol edge 0w-40 or if you want to spend liqui moly type money then go with Ravenol RUP 5w-40, very nice numbers on it for your spirited driving

Originally Posted by dbias
I'd go with Castrol edge 0w-40 or if you want to spend liqui moly type money then go with Ravenol RUP 5w-40, very nice numbers on it for your spirited driving

No Canadian distributor
frown.gif

How about Royal Purple then? No approvals whatsoever but I hear it has a ton of additives and enthusiasts like it a lot. Also, an acquittance of mine has been putting it into his 2.0 TSI Passat for the last 70K with no issues.

Buy an oil that has the actual specification you need. Royal Purple has zero European approvals.

If you're not willing to pay the premium price for the LM with approvals, why pay the price for Royal Purple with no approvals?

"Enthusiasts" don't pick oil for me I guess. Approvals do.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by dbias

No Canadian distributor
frown.gif

You should be able to order it through Blauparts. They currently provide it to Amazon USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back