MoDTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bottle of 1.5 micron MoS2 laying around. I use it as a dry lubricant for firearms and door hinges.

Just curious if this is fine enough to add to motor oil? And if so, how would I go about dosing it? I use LM's mixture right now, but I figure if I could save a few bucks than why not.

Per LM datasheet, moly content in their 300ml MoS2 oil additive is between 0,5 and 1,5%. That is enough for 5l of engine oil. So you have your dosage.
Now people would say the trick is getting the moly to stay suspended in the oil. I would think that a fine enough fraction(smaller than your filtration pores by some margin) would be pushed by oil pressure around the system.
Any small clumps should be handled by the dispersant in your oil.
I'm no chemist, so I would like to see why simply pouring moly in would not work.

I believe the MoS2 used in the LM additive is much finer between 0.1-0.5 micron. I'd worry about 1.5 micron (if it got past the filter) might be too big to fill the microscopic depressions in metal surfaces and just end up acting like an abrassive wear metal. I think your other issue may be getting it to stay in suspension in the oil and not just sit at the bottom of the pan. That's just me speculating. I could be wrong.

Standard filters (Im in Europe so cant give you names), filter particles over 40 microns. That is tens of times larger than 1,5 microns. Imperfections (scratches) less than a micron are minor at best.
A dry lube by definition cannot be abrasive. Oil cannot be abrasive.
The real breakthrough Lm supposedly made is keeping moly floating around(as part of the oil). It goes all the way back to 1940's, maybe earlier. How much better are todays oils and dispersant packages.
While the chemistry is over my head, I fail to see any issue using "standard grade" moly powder, other than the fabled clumping at the bottom of the pan.
This point also seems incorrect. Oil is not being poured it is pumped. So the oil pump would keep it in suspension. Moly is attracted to surfaces with increased temperature and friction. It is also EP additive.
So sitting it should remain inert and even if it does nothing, it certainly cant clog anything at 3gr per 5l of oil.
Moreover it would not stick to the first point of friction, as we know, it layers itself under the above conditions over time.
A neighbor of mine swears by the stuff, I guess I talk to him a lot
smile.gif

Hopefully someone knowledgeable would shine some light
smile.gif

I remain skeptical. There may not be an issue with it so long as it can be held in suspension. IIRC, the LM MoS2 additive is around 4300 ppm. Adding one bottle to 5 quarts of oil would be an increase of about 250 ppm of MoS2. I know the base oil it's blended in is a 30 grade but no idea on the quality. It could be a cheap group I bright stock for all we know.

I'd personally rather just run a better quality oil that already has a good bit of blended in it like Red Line or JG Driven which both have 400+ ppm of much more efficient tri-nuclear moly.

We here get cheap LM Mos2 oil additive and clones.
Little to no moly oils unless you want to pay up - 100 bucks (like 60-70$)/5 liters. No thanks.
I almost always use an additive.

Last edited:
I wouldn't based on lack of knowledge and chemistry. You can purchase a bottle for under 15.00 (approx). Why chance it? Now, if Molakule or another expert gives you the green light. Go for it. Good luck sir!

Which oil are you currently running? Will more moly really improve it? How much moly is enough? 500ppm? 1000ppm? 2000ppm?

Run a good brand name oil and skip the dumping dry lock lubricant idea.

I have been using LiquiMoly for hundreds of thousands of miles. Recently I had a leaky oil pan gasket changed. The oil pan

was absolutely clean, no MoS2 accumulation. This is a daily driver though, so the Moly really doesn't get a chance to settle.

Originally Posted by harry j
I have been using LiquiMoly for hundreds of thousands of miles. Recently I had a leaky oil pan gasket changed. The oil pan

was absolutely clean, no MoS2 accumulation. This is a daily driver though, so the Moly really doesn't get a chance to settle.

Yes a daily driver is the key. Vehicles that sit for long periods of time, the stuff settles, as seen by pictures Trav had posted a few years back.

there is 84 pages of oil analyses. i didn't look through all of them but can you tell me what form of moly is better. I found two different ones. the first one i've been using is liqui moly MOS2 anti friction engine treatment. I found an alternative by schaeffers called moly ep oil. Did anyone due voa's on these two additives and if so can you send me a link to them.

Thanks alot,
A. Hernandez
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
According to bitog... MoDTC is the ultimate one...

But instead of adding anything....search for oils wich already have it (VOA&UOA section of that forum)
wink.gif

Probably you would want to mix the moly powder well into a quart of oil so it will be dispersed and not form clumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back