vacuum hose quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I replaced a section of brake booster vacuum hose, just splicing to the original hose with a barb connector. The original hose is 19 years old, the newer piece is 8 years old. The newer hose now is coated with white oxidation, at least I assume that's what it is. The original GM hose has no oxidation, still looks fine. I'm going to replace the whole hose now, but the original GM part is no longer available. So which brand of universal replacement hose will hold up like the GM original?

I've heard good things about silicone hose so thats what i've used in the past.

Is it really oxidation? A few of our cars developed a white film on some of the hoses that was a waxy coating with the underlying hose being completely fine. I'd stick w/ OEM equivalent if at all available. GM must sell or spec a universal or superseding part.

A word of warning if you choose silicone vacuum hoses. Make sure that the hose is high quality thick wall, the cheap Chinese knock offs will collapse under heat and vacuum. For vacuum hose I just use Continental 5/16 fuel/emission hose. Continental (as in the tire company) its flexible, made in the USA , heat resistant, and rated to 50psi. You can get it at most auto parts places by the foot.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
A word of warning if you choose silicone vacuum hoses. Make sure that the hose is high quality thick wall, the cheap Chinese knock offs will collapse under heat and vacuum. For vacuum hose I just use Continental 5/16 fuel/emission hose. Continental (as in the tire company) its flexible, made in the USA , heat resistant, and rated to 50psi. You can get it at most auto parts places by the foot.

+1 This

Yes, don't buy thin wall stuff from Home Depot. All the stuff I get holds full vacuum without collapse or deforming and is more flexible than anything on the market.
The OE don't use because of cost but back in the day the choke tube was always orange (usually) silicone hose.

Regarding the white stuff, the latest silicone molded Fel-Pro valve-cover gaskets made in Mexico have white stuff in them, which doesn't seem to rub off. They used to be shiny black when they were made in USA. I think they are still top-quality.

For thin vacuum and regular fuel hoses for my Toyota, I use bulk OEM hoses from the dealer. They are made in Japan and really top-notch quality with several layers. The dealer usually doesn't know the part numbers and I don't remember how I got the information for them.

For molded thick vacuum hoses that are discontinued, you don't have much choice but to go to an auto store or shop online.

You have so many options, with various reinforcement levels including none. You probably don't need silicone. Pick the one you like. Gates is a good brand as far as I know:

Rock Auto vacuum hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back