Toyota oil filter housing rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Some of you guys need your "man card" revoked whining about this. Acting like the very minimal extra care to remove skid plates and removing the cartridge filter is going to get your polo shirt and khaki pants dirty.

Jeez, put down your Pumpkin Spiced Latte and get both hands dirty and quit whining it is not like MB or BMW.

Says the guy with three Toyota's
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

wink.gif

This guy with three Toyota's and three cartridge filter setups, does his own oil changes and does not whine about it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

wink.gif

This guy with three Toyota's and three cartridge filter setups, does his own oil changes and does not whine about it.

Well I'm the guy with 2x BMW's that take cartridges and 1x Ford 4x4 with a front diff in the way that takes an FL-820S and who ALSO does his own oil changes and doesn't whine about it
wink.gif
But it doesn't mean I can't critique what other marques have done to make a change on their vehicles a bigger PITA than it needs to be
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mykl
If a proprietary, non standard tool is required for the relatively simple task of changing the oil, the manufacturer is doing it wrong.

I would argue the same for transmission fluid.

I have some doozies.

At least for my 2004 WRX, the manual transmission drain bolt had a T-70 Torx head. Hard time finding it back in 2004 and I ended up spending almost $30 on a fancy German made one. It's now pretty easy to find for less than $10. I remember contacting Lisle to ask if they would consider it, and they said they never heard of an application for a T-70. They have one now. It's used on some other stuff, including the front diff in some Subarus.

And when I worked on bicycles, I built my own wheel with a fancy Campagnolo front hub I bought on eBay. It was beautiful polished aluminum but I wanted to rebuild it. It had these unique dust caps and I ended up scratching them trying to remove them with a common tools. Turns out there was a specialty tool just for this particular part. The hub was only a design for a couple of years. I paid a shop $5 just to take it off without scratching it more.

d_record_hubs.jpg

This was the tool to remove the dust cap:

4941639265_718a092d5d_z.jpg

Some of you guys need your "man card" revoked whining about this. Acting like the very minimal extra care to remove skid plates and removing the cartridge filter is going to get your polo shirt and khaki pants dirty.

Jeez, put down your Pumpkin Spiced Latte and get both hands dirty and quit whining it is not like MB or BMW.

I appreciate good designs and point out poor ones regardless of who designs them.

Sure tough guy, come and get it
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I appreciate good designs and point out poor ones regardless of who designs them.

Absolutely correct, this is the way it SHOULD BE.

Apologists need not apply.

I am a "fan" of VW products..... HOWEVER I am actually MORE critical of their design and engineering compared to other competing brands because HOPEFULLY consumer input does have an influence on the design of future products.

The companies will not respond to input if the consumer doesn't offer it up, and supplying it in a persistent manner as well is actually the best way to approach manufacturers. the squeaky wheel really does get the oil.

Last edited:

The splash shield under the Volvo V70 is BIG, hold up by 7-8 bolts. Remove it isn't bad but reinstall is pain in the bud.

I've been doing changes on our 2005 Toyota Avalon since 2005 and that car came with the cartridge-type filter. I use a 3/8 in drive ratchet to remove the cap and the plastic nipple to drain the filter housing. Then I grab the biggest Channellock I have and remove the housing (by the numerous scratches on the aluminum housing). I just bought a Motivx tool a couple year ago along with the drain hose you screw into the housing to drain it. Yeah a bit more work than the can filters and messier but not a show stopper.

Last edited:
Going to agree with OP that the design is overall not user friendly, however the Germans are not immune as my '06 Jetta 2.5 had a similar cartridge system accessed from underneath that caused spillage. The TDI's had a top mount cartridge that was no mess, same with most if not all BMW's and Mercedes.

My '03 Golf TDI, '09 MB C300 and now my '11 MB E350 all have top mount filters where when you unscrew the cap it opens the anti-drainback valve and drains the filter housing down to the pan as soon as you have the cap loose. My process was to just get the housing fully unscrewed and leave it sitting for a few minutes for the filter and housing to drip a little bit longer. Makes refilling the oil easier too as you had this massive filter housing to pour oil into that drains pretty rapidly into the pan, never used the oil fill neck except for topping off.

Same thing on 2GR-FE V6 in my Sienna. Poor average driver of Toyota still thinks they are lucky, as it must be more difficult and expensive on Euro cars.
On Tiguan it is a breeze and more importantly, no mess.
But that on a side. Which idiot put that filter housing so close to the ground is beyond my understanding.

Spin On Conversion for Toyota

Lovely spouse wants a new van, the Sienna with Access Seat fills the bill perfectly.
Still that same goofy filter cap and cartridge in the 2019, so the BITOG in me went looking.
I may have to convert that thing when we get it, and if it's as difficult as indicated.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
As long as you don't over tighten it (18 pound feet I believe) and use use a good tool, they ain't that bad.

Yeah I'm not in love with it on my Corolla, but I'll put up with it in exchange for the spotless reliability over 188K miles.

Originally Posted by greenjp
My mother in law comments this morning that she needs to take her 2010 Rav4 4 cylinder in for an oil change, I say don't bother I'll take care of it. (I've done a hundred or so over the years on my Saab, Saturn, couple Hondas, other random cars). Grab 5 qts of Castrol syn-blend and a PureOne filter from Advance for $23 on special. Note that the filter is a cartridge type, no biggie or so I thought.

So I get the car up and find that the filter cartridge is accessed from the underside (doesn't this defeat the apparent purpose?) and has a separate drain plug built into the cap. So I remove that, a little oil drains out. I then realize that there is no obvious way to remove the complete cap to replace the filter. Hop on the internet and determine it requires a special tool.

After a couple fruitless stops at auto parts stores I find myself at the nearest Toyota dealer, buying a friggen $30 wrench attachment, my rear end was quite sore on the drive home. Get home and finish the change without a problem, except that when you do get the filter housing cap off, another load of oil dumps out all over the place, a complete mess.

Now, I have no problem with specialized tools for special jobs (I have a $25 wiper arm puller that I've used exactly 1 time, it was worth every penny) but this is absurd. I'm a mechanical engineer with two master's degrees and I cannot think of a single valid reason for this setup aside from creating a difficulty for the DIY mechanic, thus driving business to dealer service and parts departments.

Immediately prior to working on the Rav4 I did my umpteenth oil change on my 2003 Saab 9-5. Standard screw on filter located on the bottom of the engine, just forward of the sump. Comes off with ease, drains cleanly right into the oil pan. That's the way it should be done.

So to whatever fool(s) at Toyota thought up this thing, go to [censored]
39.gif

ha ha.

jeff

Well, if you want to call a cap-style oil-filter wrench a special service tool... It's the same one as for the Toyota spin-on oil filters. I have a half-a-dozen varieties of them. You can get cheaper ones at car-parts stores but not all work well. I had no problem changing the oil on my 2009 Corolla with the old cap wrench I had for spin-on filters but it felt like my shoulder blade would separate to get to the oil-filter cap because it was a long reach without raising the car.

I do like the spin-on filters because you can go with different varieties and oversized ones. Also, you don't have to worry about your housing cap breaking one day in the middle of an oil change.

I absolutely hate these things. I owned a Lexus LS460 for five years and I dreaded changing the oil on that thing...it was a mess, things could get aggravating and it just bugs me that all they had to do was put a simple spin on filter on the thing and it's a two minute job. But no, had to turn something so simple into a sloppy agrivating mess.

My new car no longer has this setup and oil changes are somewhat enjoyable again. I may install a fumoto valve and really spoil myself.

Aside from being in an inconvenient location (unless you have the car up high on a lift) the cartridge on 1.8L Toyotas (Corolla, Prius, et al.) seems easy enough to me. It does not have the extra drain complication of the larger version on Camrys and such. It's designed to drain the filter housing when the cap is partially removed, much as a horizontally oriented spin-on does.

The only grounds I see for a rant are that I must raise the car at least slightly to crawl underneath, then deal with the stupid, balky plastic push pins to gain access to the filter and drain plug.

I have been using the Motivx wrench on my Tundra and find it works really well. I kind of like being able to drain the cartridge housing before removal and find the oil change is less messy albeit, more time consuming.

Motivx

I like the looks of the Baxter filter adapter/relocator but they are really proud of it! If using the screw in adapter I wonder what spin on filter you would then use on a Toyota 5.7L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back