Allen key size problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to loosen M2 hex head screw. None of my Allen bits fits. 1.27mm is too small, 1.5mm is too big, I really don't feel like sanding a 1.5mm bit down to fit. I am not aware of any intermediate size.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I need to loosen M2 hex head screw. None of my Allen bits fits. 1.27mm is too small, 1.5mm is too big, I really don't feel like sanding a 1.5mm bit down to fit. I am not aware of any intermediate size.

7/128 = 1.43mm Not sure that SAE is made.

This is where a high quality item made to tight tolerances is needed. I suspect yours is not, or the head, is buggered up. Probably 1.5. The other posts are good also.

Bondhus ball types are all I use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
...or the head, is buggered up. Probably 1.5. The other posts are good also. ...
Exactly. Check for burrs at the entrance of the hole in the screw, or at the tip of your hex key.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
An M2 SHCS should accept a 1.5mm he Allen key per DIN 912 & ISO 4762.

For a socket head screw you are correct, but OP does not have a socket head screw. Applicable standard is ISO 7380 which specifies 1.3mm for M2.

[Linked Image]

HTH

Originally Posted by gaijinnv
Originally Posted by Imp4
An M2 SHCS should accept a 1.5mm he Allen key per DIN 912 & ISO 4762.

For a socket head screw you are correct, but OP does not have a socket head screw. Applicable standard is ISO 7380 which specifies 1.3mm for M2.
HTH

'ISO 7380- Hexagon socket button head screws' is button head screws just like you have illustrated.

OP states:
I need to loosen M2 hex head screw.

He does not specify socket head or button head...
I guess we'll need OP to clarify exactly what he has/needs...
cheers3.gif

IMHO. this is where you buy the cheapest tools you can find. and mod them to your harts content

'ISO 7380- Hexagon socket button head screws' is button head screws just like you have illustrated.

OP states:
I need to loosen M2 hex head screw.

He does not specify socket head or button head...
I guess we'll need OP to clarify exactly what he has/needs...
cheers3.gif

I completely agree
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Lordy, oh lordy, he says he has a HEX HEAD SCREW. No wonder his Allen bits don't fit, he needs a box end or open end wrench.

Now if he had a hex socket screw that would be different, but he needs to specify head type.

Sorry for the confusion and the late reply. I have been working so much overtime lately I haven't gotten around to posting. The screws in question have internal hex aka Allen heads. not hex heads. I hate posting using a mobile device. The auto-correction and auto-complete feature always mess something up that I surely miss. The heads are not buggered up as someone suggested. They are button head screws on sensitive commo equipment. So I won't be "hammering in" some other socket. It's not that I have a real problem getting them out - I can loosen them with small pliers by gripping the head, but I want to use the proper Allen key because there are more than a few of them. It looks like button head M2 require actually a 1.3 mm socket. This makes sense because the 1.27mm is just a little too small. I wasn't sure that the Allen keys advertised as nominal 1.3 were not actually 1.27mm. I'll get one and find out. As for whether I tried SAE Allen kes, no, I did not since they are nowhere near the required size. I measured all my Allen keys and the nominal size is always larger than the actual size:

1.2mm is actually, 1.17mm
1.5mm is actually 1.46mm
2.5mm is actually 2.35mm

[Linked Image]

The 1.27 mm probably really are that nominally ... because 0.050" is 1.27 mm and is a common electrical connector pitch. SAE hex sockets do exist in 0.050"

#0 SHCS, #1 and #2 flat and button head use a 0.050" hex key.

In the ANSI (A=American) dimension charts, there is a 0.9 mm and 1.3 mm, nothing between. I don't have a DIN reference but doubt there are non ANSI standard sizes.

As it turns out a 1.3mm Allen key fits. So there are 1.25mm, 1.27mm, and 1.3mm. None of my Allen key sets had the 1.3mm.

Originally Posted by gaijinnv
M2 spec is 1.3mm. Many available: 1.3mm at Ace Hardware

HTH

As it turns out a 1.3mm Allen key fits. So there are 1.25mm, 1.27mm, and 1.3mm. None of my Allen key sets had the 1.3mm.

gaijinnv for the win!

banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back