coolster 150 cc atv 2019 new

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting ready for its first oil change brand new. should i use syn 10w 40/?
or conv oil?
what is the weight of rear gear oil also syn vs conv?
the user manual is a joke.
any hlep is appreciated

You don't need synthetic in it. if there is any soft, junk, cheap metals in the mechanicals, synthetic oil wont
make up for it. Usually those Chinese preteen sized ATV's fall apart and don't hold up.

I actually have 2 of the Chinese 110cc atvs for my kids. They have been very durable actually. Though I do go through them alot, tighten nuts and bolts, etc.

I forget what I used for oil, but Im fairly certain it was whatever I had laying around that wasnt expensive. probably 10w-30 or 40, conventional Valvoline or Supertech.

Mine are chain driven, no rear gear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hyperscion
i have 75w-90 gear oil,,,royal purple.
will this work for the cvt?

NO. 75w-90 is WAY to thick for a CVT.

The 150cc is a fan cooled engine correct? Provided you don't use it in extreme heat, any 10w30 would be good, 15w40 better.

This unit has a separate gearbox I presume? The kid sized 110cc (not fan cooled) I had for my kids was single speed gas and go wet clutch that shared the engine oil sump. Like said, they're not bad machines for yard and light trail use for what they cost new or used. They won't hold up to major mudding, jumping, etc. You do have to go through every fastener with something like blue Loctite and neaten up the wiring if you want longevity out of them.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You don't need synthetic in it. if there is any soft, junk, cheap metals in the mechanicals, synthetic oil wont
make up for it. Usually those Chinese preteen sized ATV's fall apart and don't hold up.

Not the engines... they've been copying/cloning Honda engines for so many decades they/re rock solid (provided you keep the fluids full and clean). In fact, for many smaller engines, Honda had them manufactured in China, so when Honda ended production, like with the GY6 style engine, it was simple for China to just keep on making them and putting them in their own vehicles.

The big thing with the China quads and bikes is to tighten every bolt after every ride the first few times, blue loctite and then you are generally OK. You replace items that break with upgraded parts as they fail, and after a while, you've got a solid machine. Usually they cheap out on things like t he plastics, seats and cushioning, and the shocks are usually overly stiff.

T4 Rotella 15w40 is all you need and it's pretty inexpensive also. I ran it in several TaoTao machines with good results.

The 110cc Tao Tao we bought a few years ago came with a sticker on the engine recommending 15w-40. So far so good with the engine, but I have had to tighten a lot of fasteners on the rest of the machine.

Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
The 110cc Tao Tao we bought a few years ago came with a sticker on the engine recommending 15w-40. So far so good with the engine, but I have had to tighten a lot of fasteners on the rest of the machine.

They've changed that recommendation then. When I mail-ordered the little TaoTao 4-wheeler for my kids back in 2008, they gave the standard 10w30 recommendation. I swapped it to inexpensive 15w40 after some run time.

The OP never really posted back, but his fan cooled 150cc and transmission is a very different setup than the 110cc's, but even that engine would benefit from 15w40 IMO.

My son recently got a Taotao 110 dirt bike. The dealer recommended a first oil change after 3 tanks of gas. I changed it after 1 tank, and the oil had lots of glitter in it. I used Supertech 15W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy

They've changed that recommendation then. When I mail-ordered the little TaoTao 4-wheeler for my kids back in 2008, they gave the standard 10w30 recommendation. I swapped it to inexpensive 15w40 after some run time.

The OP never really posted back, but his fan cooled 150cc and transmission is a very different setup than the 110cc's, but even that engine would benefit from 15w40 IMO.

The Coolster 150 is not anything special in terms of cooling compared to the 110s. It may (or may not) have a small fan to direct air onto the engine, but it is still air-cooled, not liquid... and the oversized computer case fan they would put on it is nearly useless. The OP's quad is very much like my generic Chinese 150 which is a GY6 engine. Other than being larger and using CVT instead of an integrated gearbox, it's not significantly different with regards to oil needs than my son's 110cc Chinese atv.

Either which way, doesn't matter... 10w40 or 15w40 for both engines is a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back