Interesting OEM oil requirements - Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I were browsing 2019 Mazda CX-5s and CX-9s at the dealership while her 3 was in the service bay for a TSB.

Anyway, while she was talking to the salesman, I looked under the hood of both cars:

Both had the same 187 HP 2.5l 4 cyl Skyactive engines.

CX-5 had 0W-20 on the oil cap

CX-9 had 5W-30 on the oil cap.

Just an observation.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Is the CX-9 turbocharged? That would 'splain it.

Nope. Exact same engines according to the window stickers and underhood observation.

Originally Posted by PimTac
CX9 is a turbo SkyActiv 2.5. That does explain it.

Good catch PimTac. I noticed this as well on our new Mazda SUV'S at work
wink.gif

It also depends on the trim of the CX5. The top Grand Touring Reserve also gets the turbo. The rest get the naturally aspirated engine. Both are fine.

Interesting. I looked under the hood and they were identical. I couldn't see any turbo plumbing at all on the 9. And I would swear the window stickers listed identical engines....

The CX9 had the Ford v6 until 2016 when it got the SkyActiv 2.5T

The "Ford" V6 was always Mazda's design and engineering.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
The CX9 had the Ford v6 until 2016 when it got the SkyActiv 2.5T

The "Ford" V6 was always Mazda's design and engineering.

For that matter, so were a lot of their 4 cylinders. The switch from the awful 2.0 SPI to the good Duratec saved Ford's small car bacon.

Not the same engines. CX-9 has the turbo engine, and thus hotter oil temps and higher cylinder pressures requiring a 5W-30.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Not the same engines. CX-9 has the turbo engine, and thus hotter oil temps and higher cylinder pressures requiring a 5W-30.

For 2019 Mazda included the turbo version of the 2.5 in the new CX5 Grand Touring Reserve trim which is the top of the line. That also includes real wood trim among others as their move to be a class above continues.

For 2019 Mazda included the turbo version of the 2.5 in the new CX5 Grand Touring Reserve trim which is the top of the line. That also includes real wood trim among others as their move to be a class above continues.

Correct. I would take one in a heart beat! Beautiful car. I'm holding out for a Skyactiv-X Mazda 3 hatch.

Correct. I would take one in a heart beat! Beautiful car. I'm holding out for a Skyactiv-X Mazda 3 hatch.

A lot of people are eyeing that X. Hopefully next year but Mazda has the tendency to keep customers on edge. It is available in Europe.

A lot of people are eyeing that X. Hopefully next year but Mazda has the tendency to keep customers on edge. It is available in Europe.

The X looks interesting to me, especially from an engineering standpoint, but I do worry about possible reliability issues. No one has ever made an engine like that before, so it's really uncharted territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back