Can a "High Mileage" oil help reduce blowby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, and only indirectly, not inherently because they're "high mileage" oils. Many of the HM oils have viscosities toward the higher end of the spec range for a particular grade, compared to their non-HM siblinigs. Vanilla M1 5w-30 is 11.0 cSt whereas the M1-HM flavor of 5w-30 is 12.1 cSt (hot of course). To the extent that the higher vis might reduce blow by, then again, maybe.

All that said, if blow by has become an issue, for whatever reason, your problems are probably greater than that which might be addressed by tinkering with oil selection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
High mileage oil is nothing more than good marketing

Darn you to heck MaxLife!!!

Actually I remember when MaxLife and many of the copycat high mileage motor oils came out they didn't have the API EOLCS donut. They might have even fudged a bit where they couldn't meet the standard, but these days they formulate something that does.

HM oil worked for me! aunts 1999 jeep was leaking quite a bit but after 2 changes, 6 mo intervals its getting better. on a similar note girlfriends DI 2.5 LS malibu cut consumption in half with a euro spec 5-40 compared to a 10-30 + don't even mention the spec 20 than ran thru it when new. all oils fake group III synthetic.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by kstanf150
High mileage oil is nothing more than good marketing

Darn you to heck MaxLife!!!

Actually I remember when MaxLife and many of the copycat high mileage motor oils came out they didn't have the API EOLCS donut. They might have even fudged a bit where they couldn't meet the standard, but these days they formulate something that does.

Yeah most were thicker and had a bit more additives. QS Defy was one who had more ZDDP at API SL levels during the SN era.

Originally Posted by benjy
HM oil worked for me! aunts 1999 jeep was leaking quite a bit but after 2 changes, 6 mo intervals its getting better. on a similar note girlfriends DI 2.5 LS malibu cut consumption in half with a euro spec 5-40 compared to a 10-30 + don't even mention the spec 20 than ran thru it when new. all oils fake group III synthetic.

Once again what does it matter about "fake" group III synthetic do you live in the Artic and Pennsylvania is cold it's not the Artic.

Originally Posted by Quest
what makes you think you have a blowby issue?

The Toyota Prius is consuming about 1QT of oil every 750miles. This is a known issue with the 2010-2014 Toyota Prius. The fix recommended by Toyota (replacing the piston rings) costs over $1500, so that's not an affordable possibility unless Toyota pays for it (working on getting that to happen).

It hasn't been confirmed to be a blowby issue (not sure how to verify that for sure), but since there is a known issue with the Toyota Prius, and the symptoms match, it's the most likely culprit.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Not gonna help much but since your in SC you could just go with a thicker oil.

I agree.

I think HM oils are a waste of shelf space. If someone has a higher mileage engine that's burning more oil than they are comfortable with, just move to a thicker viscosity.

But as I've read on every oil manufacturer's website,HM oils have more cleaning additives and anti wear additives. Don't they also usually have a higher tbn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back