Change Anti-freeze or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought 2014 Kia Soul today, 29000 mi, original coolant. Should it be changed just because of age? Manual calls for ethylene-glycol. Is this the older style green stuff that is not long lasting?

Last edited:
There are some test strips you can get that will show the ph and concentraion of the coolant if you are unsure if its needed.

Last edited:
Change it every five years and you will never have problems.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tc1446
Is this the older style green stuff that is not long lasting?

Others have answered the other questions, but virtually all coolant you find on the shelf will be ethylene glycol. The differences are in additive chemistry. The path of least resistance is to get OEM coolant. As many flaws as GM has, at least they license out DexCool so it's not only available at the dealer and there's no need to guess as to what's a good secondary choice.

Many cars are 5 years or 150000 miles. I think this is with the idea that you'll be at least between 75-100k at the end of five years. I would test it but I doubt a change will be needed.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
It doesn't need to be changed until 120,000 miles.

It's a 5 year/150,000 mile coolant and it's already been in there 5 years.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by DBMaster
It doesn't need to be changed until 120,000 miles.

It's a 5 year/150,000 mile coolant and it's already been in there 5 years.

There's your answer. Change it using Kia OEM coolant.

Scott

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Change it ! Use DexCool and 50 percent distilled water.

31.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't use Deathcool!
mad.gif

Either Zerex Asian, Pentofrost A2, Recochem OEM Green, Peak OET Green, or even Peak Global Lifetime.

The modern Asian green coolants are NOT the same as the old green silicate type!!!!

Bought 2014 Kia Soul today, 29000 mi, original coolant. Should it be changed just because of age? Manual calls for ethylene-glycol. Is this the older style green stuff that is not long lasting?

Unless you think someone changed it with something other than the factory fill, you can probably let it go a bit longer.

Most new Asian cars are factory filled with a coolant containing phosphated organic-acid technology corrosion inhibitors. The typical recommendation is for an extremely long first change, and then smaller intervals for subsequent changes - probably because each change only results in a partial refresh of the corrosion inhibitors. You usually only need to drain and fill without any other steps other than maybe bleeding air if there's something like an air bleeder valve.

I found a copy of a Canadian 2014 Kia Soul owners manual, and it says this about the coolant change interval:

Replace engine coolant
(First 192,000 km or 120 months
after every 48,000 km or 24 months)

So 10 followed by 2 years. Never heard of anything quite that extreme. Honda recommends 10 then every 5 years.

The coolant is coming up on 5 years old. And from your description it's the standard green Prestone stuff. If it looks like you have easy access to the drain cock, and it's not going to be too difficult, I would go ahead and change it out. Time is what matters with that stuff more than miles.

Walmart sells Zerex coolant for asian cars.

My toyota takes the red, my hyundai takes the blue.

I did the coolant for the first time in my sonata at 60k miles and 7 years. Came out dirty.

We did the oem coolant in my wife's XB last week for the first time and it looked fine.

I wouldn't do either car without a vacuum, it makes the job too easy to mess with any other way.

Thanks everyone for the good comments. I will change it this spring.
smile.gif

Just for general info: Its a one owner N.C. car with clean Carfax, 26K when local husband/wife dealer got it from orig owner. He and his wife drove it 3K in the past few months. Its exceptionally clean and unmarked (no paint touch ups), white with red accents, Nav system with doodads I don't even know how to use. The entire top is a dark tinted sunroof with spoiler. Dealer said it was a limited production model, not that I care, but do like the looks. I got it for its condition, low miles, price competitive with Base Plus models. Figured that even tho I wont make much use of the Nav, Radio system and Sunroof, those items will make it more saleable one day. It will still likely have low miles as I use the truck some (dogs gotta ride in something!) and in good wx drive the Slingshot. Dealer changed the oil when he got it and since its coming up on 30K shortly I will have the oil (Edge 5-30) and filter (Kia) changed and Nexen tires rotated this coming week. Looks like orig owner never rotated them as the fronts show considerably more wear than the rears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back