Air Compressor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a week now since I changed oil on my DeVilbiss 6.5HP 240V air compressor. Ive had this compressor since new for 20 years, no issues. This compressor calls for SAE20 ND on the label on the compressor (No ISO recommendations). I try to guesstimate 100 hours of use, then change the oil. Last week I was in a rush and picked up some Amsoil air compressor oil at the local NAPA, not realizing the weight was ISO 100 (SAE 30/40) instead of ISO 46 (SAE 20). After draining the old oil and filling the compressor with the ISO 100, it seems to run quieter and fill the tank faster. This compressor is in a heated garage and will never operate under 60 degrees F, even if its minus 20 F outside. Are there any long term issues of running this (ISO 100, SAE 30/40) oil in my compressor that calls for SAE 20? If the consensus is to change to the recommended SAE 20, its no big deal. Oil is cheap and it takes 5 minutes to change. This compressor is used a fair amount for sand blasting and other continuous use tasks.

Thanks in advance

I purchased my compressor back in the 80's when I lived in the Midwest. The only problem I had with it, was when I used it in cold Winter weather. The oil in the compressor from the factory was too thick, and caused the breaker to trip. So I drained it and refilled it with Mobil 1 0W-30. (At least that's what I think it was. It was the thinnest Mobil 1 I could find at the time). It solved the problem, and the compressor would start and run on the coldest Winter days without a problem.

When we moved to Arizona it ran the same. I finally changed the compressor oil this past year. It drained out every bit as clean as it went in. I refilled it with the same 0W-30 Mobil 1. Even on 100F+ degree days, it never runs long enough, or hot enough for my use, to where I can't place my hand on the cylinder head. It's now 34 years old and still going strong. It gets run every time I clean my guns. Which is usually at least once a week.

I have Royal Purple compressor oil in my 60 gallon compressor. It got good reviews here years ago. It works much better than it did with the factory fill in the cold weather, and much like billt460's compressor I can touch the cylinder head during summertime use

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Its been a week now since I changed oil on my DeVilbiss 6.5HP 240V air compressor. Ive had this compressor since new for 20 years, no issues. This compressor calls for SAE20 ND on the label on the compressor (No ISO recommendations). I try to guesstimate 100 hours of use, then change the oil. Last week I was in a rush and picked up some Amsoil air compressor oil at the local NAPA, not realizing the weight was ISO 100 (SAE 30/40) instead of ISO 46 (SAE 20). After draining the old oil and filling the compressor with the ISO 100, it seems to run quieter and fill the tank faster. This compressor is in a heated garage and will never operate under 60 degrees F, even if its minus 20 F outside. Are there any long term issues of running this (ISO 100, SAE 30/40) oil in my compressor that calls for SAE 20? If the consensus is to change to the recommended SAE 20, its no big deal. Oil is cheap and it takes 5 minutes to change. This compressor is used a fair amount for sand blasting and other continuous use tasks.

Thanks in advance

No problem running it at your ambient temps.

I use Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 in mine. Makes a huge difference as to whether or not the motor actually starts and runs at the end of a long extension cord. Using generic "compressor oil," the motor would just hum and trip the breaker in colder weather after about 100' of cord or so.

I noticed on my compressor, that going to Amsoil compressor oil was a welcome change. I could fairly easily feel less heating on the head for my uses, though no calibrated result.

I would somewhat doubt that it would be filling easier, but I can see that the heavier oil might help with a tighter seal inside, plus reduced friction might allow marginally faster RPMs.

I'd personally change it after some use (a shorter oci), but unless you can reuse it somewhere for something, I'd run it for at least a little while to recoup some utility cost.

Detergent (motor) oil in humid environments can foam and gum up the valves. Many get away with it, some don't. I stick to non-detergent compressor oil in mine.

For continuous use in a heated garage, I would upgrade to 30W synthetic anyway.

Originally Posted by Anduril
I use Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 in mine. Makes a huge difference as to whether or not the motor actually starts and runs at the end of a long extension cord. Using generic "compressor oil," the motor would just hum and trip the breaker in colder weather after about 100' of cord or so.

Use 100 ft of air hose, not 100 ft of electrical line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back