Acceptable Winter Tire Age at Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a set of Michelin winter tires mounted on my car and noticed that the date code on the tires shows that they are 2+ years old (made in January of 2017). I've never purchased any tires that were more than 6 month old and am wondering if I can expect reduced life from these tires.

Last edited:
No one knows. Old tires are rarely tested.

I would not pay full price for tires over a year old, you got hosed. MAYBE if they were some special tire like a white wall for some old jalopy that is not going to need grip.

However, maybe you have a weird size that never gets sold. Even then, two years is used tire territory IMO.

Michelin recommends 10 years as max age for their tires, so you still have 8 years left to wear these ones out. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

They are a somewhat unpopular size, but I was under the impression that winter tires were made in batches every summer/fall to keep the invintory fresh.
I was given no discount other than a rebate that applies to all models of the brand.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
No one knows. Old tires are rarely tested.

I would not pay full price for tires over a year old, you got hosed. MAYBE if they were some special tire like a white wall for some old jalopy that is not going to need grip.

However, maybe you have a weird size that never gets sold. Even then, two years is used tire territory IMO.

According to CapriRacer, a retired tire engineer, 3-yo properly-stored tires are as good as new
smile.gif

Heat affects tire life. Winter tires in Minnesota will be no problem at all

They're coated with preservative. While the clock may be ticking, it ticks faster once they hit the pavement. I would share your being annoyed but run them just the same.

Now you know to ask ahead of time. The intent is switching for better winter traction while they will get 2 years worse traction. I call nonsense on 10 year tire life unless you don't care about traction... then why switch to winter tires?

It's more of an issue for winter tires due not only to the traction issue but also that being winter tires, you aren't putting many miles on a year unless you live where they are needed most of the year, so the ultimate result "could" be they cheated you out of 2 years of use, well call it one year if you'd be willing to buy one year old tires which seems like a more fair cut off point unless priced appropriately.

It is easy to say "proper storage" but they are just sitting on a rack somewhere oxidizing, not necessarily at a cool temperature either if the storage area isn't air-conditioned in summer. Proper storage means no light or air as well as moderate temperature.

Last edited:
Assuming you bought from a reputable retailer, I'd run with them having been stored correctly.

And from there, recognize that it happens more often in oddball sizes, which you've acknowledged was the case here.

As others have pointed out, we aren't in Arizona and assuming the tires were stored properly... you'll be just fine.

On my previous truck, I basically ended up in a similar situation, though by choice. Discount had in stock snows on sale at the end of March, so I pounced on them. By the time I put them on the truck to use, they were 2 weeks shy of two years old... Used them for five years, and sold them for a tidy sum when I sold the truck.

Drive and enjoy...

I'll say this again.

It is a widely held belief within the tire industry that properly stored tires are to be considered "new" for up to 6 years from date of manufacture. I say "belief" because I know of no one who has done any testing to prove this.

HOWEVER, I know testing has been done on properly stored 3 year old tires, and no differences could be found.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Michelin recommends 10 years as max age for their tires, so you still have 8 years left to wear these ones out. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I was sure this was wrong, so I reached down and grabbed my Michelin owner's manual (since I just bought a new set), and sure enough, on pages 20-21 under Service Life, 10 years from DOT date code. Or manufacturer's recommendation, if less.

FWIW, I put a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 4D's on my VW Golf about 3 months ago. They were on clearance through Tire Rack because they were manufactured in 2014. 70% off so I gave them a shot. I've had them on all winter and around 4K miles now. I'm happy due to the discount and they are holding up/performing just fine.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
,,,,,,, properly stored tires are to be considered "new" for up to 6 years from date of manufacture.
One driver bought new tires & belatedly found they were 9 years old. Of course, 9 year old tires sold as new, ain't gonna be stored..... properly. Do I hear a bidda bidda ten years? Do I hear ten? Sold American! Bet someone out there got ripped with a ten+ year old tire, sold as new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back