2016 Sierra, 5.3L L83, ACDelco Full syn 0W-20, 5528 miles

Here's a Blackstone UOA on my GMC Sierra with the 5.3L L83 V8. 39,237 miles on the truck. Was a free oil change from the dealer, full synthetic ACDelco 0W20 was used with a PF63E oil filter. I added half a quart of Valvoline 0W20 around 3000 miles on the oil change. This was mostly used for going back and forth to work, 20 miles one on two-lane back roads with some short trips around town, one 60 mile Turnpike round-trip with a 4500 pound trailer and two unladen round trips across the Turnpike to Pittsburgh from Philly.

I just started a new job with a six mile round trip commute, current oil change is eight quarts of Napa Synthetic 0W20 and a Bosch 3502 filter. I'll have it sampled again around 5K and maybe send it to one of the other labs to get a better look at fuel, I have noticed the OLM is dropping faster compared to before (down 8% in 350 miles).

I'll try and post up some of the UOA's from the Ram I traded in on this truck, and my old Dakotas if I can find them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Nice report, I have the same engine. I've been keeping my oil change intervals at 5,000 miles but maybe I can/should push it further...the oil life monitor is usually at 40% when I change it. I always worry about fuel dilution with these engines but your sample looked great.

Originally Posted by Marco620
As much as I dislike anything GM,I bet this oil performed better than the Napa Synthetic. Looks good so far.

Rockauto sells the ACDelco 0w20 blend for $3.47/quart and the full synthetic for $4.02/quart, if I have a RockAuto list going by the next time I need an oil change I'll probably just add eight quarts on my order.

Originally Posted by Marco620
As much as I dislike anything GM,I bet this oil performed better than the Napa Synthetic. Looks good so far.

Well, it's not like GM actually makes this oil. IIRC, AcDelco oil is made by XOM to GM's spec. I think it used to be rebottled Mobil Super Synth, but now it looks like that's not the case.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Please forgive my ignorance of the particulars of this engine... Does GM spec (or allow as an alt) the 0w-20?

Yep. First year or two (forgive me I don't know the exact year) they spec'd 5W-20, then changed it to 0W-20 for the 5.3 and 6.2. The 4.3L V6 specs 5W-30 but it lacks an oil cooler. Guy at my old job had a 2014 with the same engine and his fill cap said 5W-20 while mine says 0W-20.

Originally Posted by Gubkin
Use 5w-30 913-D or 229.5
Not this water like 0w-20

Why? The report is good and everything runs fine.

Use 5w-30 913-D or 229.5

My sons 2016 GMC Denali has 90K and he uses M1 0-20EP at 12-15K OCIs. Results: Very good. A friend has a 2014 Silverado 5.3 with 140K and uses M1 0-20EP at 10K OCIs. Results: Very good. My BILs 2014 Silverado 5.3 has 40K and uses M1 0-20EP at 10K OCIs. Results. Very good.

Last edited:
Copper 21 ppm is good ?

GM engines historically have shown higher copper and iron numbers than other brands of engines, but this never translates to shorter engine life.

Originally Posted by tig1
Use 5w-30 913-D or 229.5

My sons 2016 GMC Denali has 90K and he uses M1 0-20EP at 12-15K OCIs. Results: Very good. A friend has a 2014 Silverado 5.3 with 140K and uses M1 0-20EP at 10K OCIs. Results: Very good. My BILs 2014 Silverado 5.3 has 40K and uses M1 0-20EP at 10K OCIs. Results. Very good.

Yeah I have no problems running the 0w20 in this engine, coincidentally my folks have a new Tundra taking 0w20 and I had to have this discussion with them as well.

Originally Posted by tig1
Copper 21 ppm is good ?

GM engines historically have shown higher copper and iron numbers than other brands of engines, but this never translates to shorter engine life.

I have to wonder if the oil cooler contributes to that?

Copper 21 ppm is good ?

It's from the oil cooler plus UOA's dont provide wear data just metallic particles in parts per million.

New analysis. Similar mileage this time, 5332 on the oil and 44569 on the truck at the time of the oil change with 30% left on the OLM. No make-up oil needed. As noted with the last report I started a job with a short commute, this report covers a lot of short tripping around town but also a 1000 miles round trip to Ohio and a few smaller (T) Turnpike trips. This was the Napa Synthetic 0W20 that came out, Rotella Gas Truck 0W20 went in. Blackstone is showing the flashpoint went down and extrapolated that out to a 1.5% fuel number, I'm awaiting a report from Oil Analyzers on the same oil to see how it stacks up. Ordered TBN with this pretty much just to see how close I went, looks like I'll probably stick to 5000-6000 miles on this engine for oil changes.

When I get the report from Oil Analyzers I'll post it up, as well as a test of the RGT when it's run its course. I will say the engine is a little louder running the RGT than it is with the Napa.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Macsignals
New analysis. Similar mileage this time, 5332 on the oil and 44569 on the truck at the time of the oil change with 30% left on the OLM. No make-up oil needed. As noted with the last report I started a job with a short commute, this report covers a lot of short tripping around town but also a 1000 miles round trip to Ohio and a few smaller (T) Turnpike trips. This was the Napa Synthetic 0W20 that came out, Rotella Gas Truck 0W20 went in. Blackstone is showing the flashpoint went down and extrapolated that out to a 1.5% fuel number, I'm awaiting a report from Oil Analyzers on the same oil to see how it stacks up. Ordered TBN with this pretty much just to see how close I went, looks like I'll probably stick to 5000-6000 miles on this engine for oil changes.

When I get the report from Oil Analyzers I'll post it up, as well as a test of the RGT when it's run its course. I will say the engine is a little louder running the RGT than it is with the Napa.

[Linked Image]

1.5% Flashpoint derived fuel dilution is actually more than 3% for GC. A 50% increase in copper is not good, only change is fuel dilution.

Back