Dealer Used Wrong Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was the PP Euro 5w30. Thay was the Factory Fill here in the United States for this VM Motori 3.0L diesel.

The 2017's and 2018's were all drained and filled with Rotella T6 5w40 and flashed before sale.

While my logical side says that no permanent damage was done and that you should change it to the proper pil and keep on trucking if it was my personal truck I'd be ferious.

My UOA's from my Ecodiesel show that between 0w40, 5w40, amd 15w40 that the 15w40 had the nest wear numbers and that was over the Summer camping season and towing a travel trailer.

If I were you I'd run Rotella T6 5w40 in the winter up there in Idaho and the NEW Rotella T6 15w40 in the summer and towing your travel trailer.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
While my logical side says that no permanent damage was done and that you should change it to the proper pil and keep on trucking if it was my personal truck I'd be ferious.

This. If I had the vehicle and an oil change were absolutely necessary for some reason and the C3 lube were the only lube available (or I only had ILSAC and C3 alternatives on the shelf), I'd use the C3. But, if I paid for and asked for something else, from a place that should have that "something else" in stock, I'd be none too happy.

Originally Posted by BoiseRob
Jaybird97, which dealer, P in Nampa or LM in Boise? Just curious...

I sent you a private messsge BoiseRob

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jaybird97
The dealer changed my oil with Rotella T6 5-40w yesterday. He said the oil that was in there was Pennzoil Ultra 5-30w synthetic oil and it is low ash and would not have done any damage.

FCA changed from the 5w-30 Pennzoil recommendation due to lower end bearing wear. I guess they found the T6 was better for the application.

I've debated putting T6 in my Cruze Diesel since both vehicles are DPF equipped, but I haven't yet.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Seems like you should make your own changes, my friend. Because of error like this, I try to do it myself.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yet another reason to change your own oil.

+1 The threads of the dealer used the wrong oil are happening a lot lately. Which makes me even happier I avoid the dealer as much as possible. Although I will have to bite the bullet and pray they don't screw something up replacing my airbag.

Back on topic. I doubt you damaged your engine. As already stated it "could be" break in metal still showing up. Having said that I would use a 5W40 oil such as Rotella T6, and change it myself.

Lubricant fraud unfortunately is very prevalent and is one of the big reasons, along with inappropriate OCI's, for the intake contamination problems seen on DI engines.

But in this case, just use someone who will do it properly from oil that ideally you can witness it being added, or at least is trustworthy. Not just a dealer or quickie lube where the slack-jawed yokel that is assigned to do oil changes will just draw from a bulk tank filled with the cheapest oil they can put their hands on.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Lubricant fraud unfortunately is very prevalent and is one of the big reasons, along with inappropriate OCI's, for the intake contamination problems seen on DI engines.

You also buy directly from an oil company's distributor, which reduces the number of hands there taking a cut, making a mistake, and playing confidence games, as the case may be.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back