Need helping picking a new printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Costco has great deals. After doing my research, I bought this from Amazon:

Cannon

How do you like this printer? Are toners expensive?

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
My less than $100 Epson all-in-one has been very reliable, and inkjet refills are cheap on Amazon.

What model do you have?

I picked up a Brother DCP-L2550DW a few months ago and very happy with it.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I picked up a Brother DCP-L2550DW a few months ago and very happy with it.

This just a black and white printer?

You couldn't pay me to buy an HP. Every one I have owned has had mechanical problems or intermittent driver issues or the computer can't find it on WiFi. I'd go for the Epson between those 2 choices. My first choice would be Brother though. They have been really good to our family over the years.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
They are reliable and tend to just "work", which makes them a good choice.

I have the other model listed on that Amazon link MFC9130-CW and it's great. I love scanning over WiFi. I also bought no-name toners for it that are less expensive than brother toner and it works perfectly.

Last edited:
I picked up an HP printer/scanner/copier/fax machine TEN YEARS ago and it will works perfect. I use it every day. Stupid reliable. I buy ink one or twice a year on average for it.

When it dies, I will replace it with the newer version of the same thing.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Costco has great deals. After doing my research, I bought this from Amazon:

Cannon

Reviews seem a little iffy on amazon.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
They are reliable and tend to just "work", which makes them a good choice.

Yep..very good printers

OP,
How much are you looking to print?
I have the HP, the on and off wifi issues are real. Also , compared with HPs from 10-20 years ago, build quality is less.
The full set of toners (Double capacity black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) Will set you back about $400.

Also have mostly Brother at work. Have some with 100k+ prints. they just eat toner and drums and keep on going.
Usually the Brother printers you will have to account for toner(1.5k-3.5k prints depending on toner capacity) and drum (30k-50k prints) if you print a lot.
Price these first. I recommend you go with the high capacity toners (usually a bit more than double printing capacity than normal, at less than double the price)

And yes, at this moment, they have cornered the consumer/small business market, because of reliability/stability.

Do you want a all-in-one or just a printer?

I have no experience with the ink printers with tanks like the Epson.

Color laser printers are getting pretty darn good, but ink is still better for printing everything else.

With any laser printer the toner cartridges included are typically starter cartridges.

If you want a printer only I would suggest a Zerox Phaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back