Richmond Gear GL-6 (75W85?) manual transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only thoughts are very similar to yours (except I was thinking about their 6 speed version for myn Volvo
shocked.gif
)

I see the stuff (gear lube) in Jeg's 'n Summit and say (to myself) - they just say "GL-6" for bragging rights.. (higher number is better, right
smile.gif
?)

I thought the stuff is 75W-140...I wonder who makes it?

The guys at jeg's told me (I hang out in Jeg's alot), that about the only people who buy the stuff, run richmond trannies, and are convinced that is the best stuff for theirs. If you ask them for advice on selection, they always recommend something else.

Kind of a strange one I stumbled across... anybody know about it? Richmond makes those 5 speed trannies like I'd love to get some day for my old Chevy. I like to click over there once a year (richmondgear.com) and check out there latest offerings. I forgot they offer a manual tranny lube too.

All their little PDF file says is just marketing hype. Doesn't even list the viscosity if you believe that! It does list it as a replacement for 75W, 80W 85. That would suggest it's a 75W-85.

An email from them in response to my query states it's a a 75W-90. But between the context of the email and the PDF file - I don't get the warm fuzzy impression a lot is known about this lubricant.
rolleyes.gif

It also is apparently fully synthetic.

But then the infamous GL-6 claim comes up. API says it's 'retired' and not in use. Their description says:

quote:

API GL-6 denotes lubricants intended for gears designed with a very high pinion offset. Such designs typically require protection from gear scoring in excess of that provided by API GL-5 gear oils. A shift to more modest pinion offsets and the obsolescence of original API GL-6 test equipment and procedures have greatly reduced the commercial use of API GL-6 gear lubricants.

Now admittedly I don't own a Richmond transmission but I'm unaware of anything about their trannies that need an oddball defunct gear oil standard that seems more in tune w/ ring/pinion gears than spur gears and synchros. In fact seeing a manual transmission maker tout a GL-6 presumably for their trannies and others makes me raise an eyebrow.

Thoughts?

PS: I'm not interested but if anybody is, I believe it can be purchased thru the mail order places like Jegs and Summit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back