2011 Prius Valve Cover Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current odometer reading: 184,997 miles.

For the first 90k, I followed the Toyota recommendation of 10K drains using 0w-20 full synthetic.

From 90k - present, I have been replacing the oil and filter every 5K miles.

About 75% of the time I used Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. The rest of the time has been various other brands (TGMO, Pennzoil, ServicePro, ACDelco).

The engine valve cover and timing cover were removed in preparation for cylinder head removal. The headgasket failed last week and is dumping coolant into cyl 2.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by The Critic
About 75% of the time I used Mobil 1 EP 0w-20.

That shows the PAO-based M1 EP 0W-20 keeps the engine as clean as new.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by The Critic
About 75% of the time I used Mobil 1 EP 0w-20.

That shows the PAO-based M1 EP 0W-20 keeps the engine as clean as new.

Gokhan, I hope that's tongue and cheek. We've seen countless "Grp III" Synthetics look just as pristine.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Weird question: Do the red colored links on the timing chain signify something?

They are used to install the chain and properly time the engine using marks on the crank and cam sprockets.

In the pictures above, you can see that the mark on the right sprocket lines up between the two colored links. On the left cam, there should be a mark that lines up to the middle of the colored link. Same with the crank.

Originally Posted by cpayne5

They are used to install the chain and properly time the engine using marks on the crank and cam sprockets.

In the pictures above, you can see that the mark on the right sprocket lines up between the two colored links. On the left cam, there should be a mark that lines up to the middle of the colored link. Same with the crank.

^^This.

You'll see that very same thing on timing belt systems too.

Originally Posted by cpayne5

That's what I was thinking. Thanks !

Originally Posted by Phishin
Why is there piece of paper towel or something else tucked around the cam lobes in pic 2 and 3??

Evidence that the OP really spent hours upon hours using paper towel to wipe away all the sludge prior to taking the photo.
grin2.gif

Looks clean in the cam box.

Are the cams / tappets servicable? Did you plan to have them profiled /measured?

Good luck with the HG repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back