Dealer service courtesy cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by y_p_w
I called around and no Subaru dealer around here can do it same day.

Subaru dealers around here are usually booked out at least 7-10 days.. Can you usually get same day service out there?!

Originally Posted by sxg6
Originally Posted by y_p_w
I called around and no Subaru dealer around here can do it same day.

Subaru dealers around here are usually booked out at least 7-10 days.. Can you usually get same day service out there?!

I haven't really used any dealer service in years. The last time was for some cable recall. I mentioned my wife's 2002 Civic. I had all day and was there with it when I figured I'd find out if I could get an appointment. I used Honda's online system. It was maybe around 11:25 AM and I could have selected 11:30 but chose 11:45 just in case I got lost (never been to this dealer). They had the parts in stock. I did look, and the car stayed in the driveway for about 2.5 hours, but they had internet and free coffee in the showroom, which was right next to where service accepted the cars.

For my WRX I made the appointment Monday and called around. One dealer said only service advisors could check the part but I never heard back. Another one wanted my phone number and would get back to me. I got a text for an appointment (same day but later in the day) with a note to call if I wanted to cancel, which I did. I really selected the one I chose because they offered a car. I can spend all day, but I though maybe I could make it a day off exploring the area. It sounds like they treat this recall really seriously, although I remember my first recall notice said to simply not use the front passenger seat and wait for the part to be available. For whatever reason, my WRX doesn't have a recall for the driver airbag.

So I'm at the dealer now waiting for the service. They ran out of courtesy cars. Said they were gone before my appointment time, and I was already late. Asked about a rental and was told it might take an hour. I'm thinking of maybe asking for a test drive of a new WRX when sales opens.

I haven't had a dealer offer free courtesy loaners in 25yrs. I do know guys with $50-70K pickups and some with luxury brands that get them. Best I get is a shuttle ride to and from. Like mentioned above 2-3 week waits are standard practice if you call for a service appointment. Calling for an appointment with the mega dealer chains is through a centralized call center (even if you dial direct to a specific dealer). If you're able to talk directly to a service adviser or have a repeat problem, they'll usually fit you in quick.

There were others asking about the loaners but again they were all taken. I spoke to a sales guy who said that they had one less because one came back damaged the previous day. They did have free rides though anywhere in the county.

The service only took about 2.5 hours, and a lot of that was just waiting for someone to do it. I just waited and then asked for a test drive in a current WRX. Pretty nice - a bit lighter clutch than my 2004. I even stalled a few times because I didn't give enough gas on a green light. This was the first time I've seen a gear indicator on the instrument panel for a manual transmission. Maybe the Civic Si I test drove had it but I didn't notice it. Also a bunch of data on a center console screen including boost pressure.

I always got a loaner when I had my Magnum, even for an oil change. It was usually a Caravan (I recall they had three: green, teal, and white), once a Dakota-they had a PT Cruiser but I don't recall ever getting it. Two loaners stand out-once, the Caravan I was supposed to take had a nail in the tire...so they threw a plate on a Ram demo. I recall it was a Ram *deep breath* 1500 4x4 Quad Cab SLT Laramie Big Horn Edition *gasp, gasp*. Nice truck, but WOW, it was almost sixty grand!

The other, I brought my car in for a brake job-it wasn't ready because they didn't get the parts. (They accidentally got 2 sets of rear pads.) They had no loaners, so the service manager offered to put a plate on one of their used cars. He asked if I minded a Neon...I said no problem. It was an R/T with a 5-speed. I took the long way home that day...man, those pocket rockets are fun.
laugh.gif

I've only had them for warranty work. At the Land Rover dealer, I used to get whatever enterprise had. Even if it was just for a few hours. At the Jeep dealer, it had to be overnight. Once I had a new Renegade Trailhawk with 40 miles on it, another time I had a Dodge Journey with 800 miles on it.

You're in luck, there are dealers who refuse to offer a loaner car, even if the manufacturer's official policy permits it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back