2018 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a Jeep Cherokee with 2.4L engine and not quite 20,000 miles on the clock. Since new, the engine has burned oil at an alarming rate. At 3,000 miles or so, I checked the oil and it was a few quarts low. I had to add 2 quarts just to get it to show up on the stick, and another quart I believe to get the level into the hatched zone on the stick.

Since then, I've monitored her oil level more religiously and I have to add quart(s) of oil on a regular basis.

In reading the Jeep forums, it seems that this is very common on this 2.4L engine.

The dealership has offered to do an "oil consumption test" for us. But, I don't know how that works and I assume they'd have to keep the vehicle for a long while. My wife wouldn't like that. Also, there is a high liklihood that we'll go through that whole process and then they'll just declare it "within spec" and nothing would be done.

So my question is this: Factory fill is 0W20. Could I possibly slow down the oil consumption with a 5W30 synthetic instead?

When they do an oil test they have you bring in the car and they check level and record it. Then you come back in X amount of miles for a recheck. If it uses more than spec. they may do something about it for you. They may also check the stick for accuracy, if it's way off and full is really 2 quarts overfull that could cause oil usage. Next time it is changed and the correct amount is put in the dipstick should be checked.

Last edited:
First of all , sad to hear of this problem . Inexcusable at that few miles .

Second of all , document all of this & present it to the dealer . Maybe a different dealer .

Ask as many questions as you think of . If they wish to keep the vehicle a long time , request a loaner . If told no , escalate the claim , as high up , as quickly as you can , with the factory customer / quality assurance people , as you can .

Until then , I would continue to use what ever oil the owners manual indicates and a MoPar filter . And , again , document it .

Best of luck to you , :)

Have them do an oil consumption test, odds are they are going to give you the "it's normal" cock and bull story. If they do give you that story, I would try a 30 grade oil next time you're due for an oil change. Good luck.

Quite a long time ago a friend was having oil consumption problem on a Mercedes. The set up a consumption test. They even sealed the engine with stickers. He protested as it was burning a quart every 800 miles and it would not make it. They said leave it alone bring it in when due for next change. Well, as expected it blew before then. Then they tried the you did not check it baloney. It's on you. He had picture of engine with seals on it and the service document with bring back at xxxx miles, which he never hit. Funny how quickly they change their tune when you get the state attorney general involved. BTW a MB engine for it was like 30K or so and that was like 10 years or more ago. Replacement one did not burn oil. I bet the dealer will only verbal the test in the future. Too bad cell phones record nowadays. The replacement Lexus has been flawless.

I wouldn't use anything different. I would take it to them and allow them to do the oil consumption test so it's documented and in the event they will repair/replace the engine for you. If you aren't happy with the answers you are getting, get Chrysler area representative and/or corporate head office involved.

The 2.4L I had in my Journey didn't use any oil between changes. It's a slightly different setup than yours but it's very similar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Quite a long time ago a friend was having oil consumption problem on a Mercedes. The set up a consumption test. They even sealed the engine with stickers. He protested as it was burning a quart every 800 miles and it would not make it. They said leave it alone bring it in when due for next change. Well, as expected it blew before then. Then they tried the you did not check it baloney. It's on you. He had picture of engine with seals on it and the service document with bring back at xxxx miles, which he never hit. Funny how quickly they change their tune when you get the state attorney general involved. BTW a MB engine for it was like 30K or so and that was like 10 years or more ago. Replacement one did not burn oil. I bet the dealer will only verbal the test in the future. Too bad cell phones record nowadays. The replacement Lexus has been flawless.

I found oil consumption issues are typically based on a sliding scale, meaning the service writer will ask how much oil the vehicle is using and say its normal based on the number the customer says. When it gets down to about 500 or 600 miles a quart they'll usually test it. If it comes in around 800-1000 miles they'll do a consumption test for people who put up a stink. Had they done a consumption test and loaded my engine with tamper resistant labels, which they often do, I would gladly have grenaded the engine and sued if needed.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to get the wife warmed up to the idea that we may have to let the dealership do the consumption testing for documentation to at least cover our bases.

I'm not sure what they changed with the 2.4 when it went to the multi-air, but my 2010 Sebring with the 2.4 VVT doesn't even drop halfway between the add and full line during my 6k oil changes. And it has 182k on it right now.

L8R,
Matt

a thicker oil may help BUT be sure it don't mess up your warranty. generally from reading it gotta use more than a qt on a thou, which is quite a bit. keep after the stealer + keep records!! girlfriends 2.5 DI naturally aspirated 2013 malibu was sucking more oil than it should from new with the spec xxW20 changed to 10-30 + was better for a while but the last change almost 60 thou i put in 5-40 + its doing good for now. FCA isn't the only ones building crap these days as manufacturers are trying to get more mpg's + profits as well!

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
I'm not sure what they changed with the 2.4 when it went to the multi-air, but my 2010 Sebring with the 2.4 VVT doesn't even drop halfway between the add and full line during my 6k oil changes. And it has 182k on it right now.

Here's a high level overview of the 3 different 2.4s.
The multi air is the Tigershark with more Fiat Technology in the top end, yours is the WGE.
https://www.allpar.com/news/2013/10/multiair-and-the-two-2-4-engines-23751

More general info
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

My wife has an '07 Sebring 2.4 WGE she has owned since roughtly 13,000 miles.
It now has 159,000 on it and uses no noticeable oil between 5k mi changes.

Unfortunately it looks like the Tigershark is getting a reputation.
Google search "tigershark 2.4 engine burning oil".

Good first step documenting the problem with the dealer.

Last edited:
These engines seem to be picky about oil. I was using Mobil 1 0W-20 in my wife's 2018 Cherokee 2.4 then switched to Carquest brand 0W-20 (from Advance Auto Parts) because it was on sale. It used 2 quarts of Mobil 1 but burns 1 quart of Carquest between 5K mile oil change intervals. I don't know if this is because the engine is broken in or because of the oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back