Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KrisZ
It's a "lifestyle" vehicle. Plenty will buy it with the market crazy over anything raised up and AWD/4WD.

I'll place my bet now that it will be a flop of a seller at that price. What odd's and how much?
grin2.gif

Price is the same problem for the Colorado/Canyon. You look at the dealer and all they stock are the loaded versions and if you want the stripper/work truck version, you have to order it.

Originally Posted by morepwr
Price is the same problem for the Colorado/Canyon. You look at the dealer and all they stock are the loaded versions and if you want the stripper/work truck version, you have to order it.

I don't blame the dealer for wanting to sell higher priced trucks for more profit.

Originally Posted by morepwr

My local Ford dealer has maybe 1 base model F150 on the lot. All of the others are loaded, and they sell a ton of trucks. I'm sure a loaded Ranger being cheaper than a loaded F150 will be what sells them.

Originally Posted by StevieC
It's a "lifestyle" vehicle. Plenty will buy it with the market crazy over anything raised up and AWD/4WD.

I'll place my bet now that it will be a flop of a seller at that price. What odd's and how much?
grin2.gif

Well, Ford has already added overtime shifts at the Ranger factory to try to meet the incredible demand, so it appears it will be quite the opposite of a "flop".

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-adding-overtime-shifts-match-ranger-demand/

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then it's "hope"... "300,000 plan to buy". I have a feeling they are going to get stuck with lots of inventory unless they lower the price.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it. Until then it's "hope"... "300,000 plan to buy". I have a feeling they are going to get stuck with lots of inventory unless they lower the price.

I agree. If this board is a sampling of the buying public , it ain't going to fly.
I suspect next year you will see a big rebate.
P!us it really isn't that small of a truck.

Originally Posted by Zee09

I agree. If this board is a sampling of the buying public , it ain't going to fly.

I highly doubt this board is a good representation of the buying public. Anyone interested in oil, general vehicle maintenance, fluids etc. is right off the bat not an average car owner.

I highly doubt this board is a good representation of the buying public. Anyone interested in oil, general vehicle maintenance, fluids etc. is right off the bat not an average car owner.

Agreed. This board is NOT an accurate representation of the buying public.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Problem with that is twofold. First, those are strippers and you won't find many, if any, on dealer lots. Those are going to be the fleet trucks and the ones dealers will stock are all going to be the 35K+ models.

Second, the F-150 starts at 28k. Sure, it's 4 grand more, but if you figure that over a 5 year car loan, the F-150 is only 66 more a month and even the base F-150 is far more capable than the Ranger.

You're not going to find many $28k F150s on the lot either. Those that you will find will be strippers that few will want....

There's a MUCH bigger market for stripper F-150s than stripper Rangers, though. That said, yeah, you tend to find more optioned up trucks, but things tend to stay pretty proportional from what I've seen, and the F-150 can do a lot more for not a lot more money. You basically lose nothing going from a mid level Ranger to say, a midlevel 2.7 ecoboost F-150, but you gain a lot more capability.

Now, if anyone would make a real small truck, like the Rangers of old, we'd be having a different discussion, but they won't. Not in America, at least.

For what I use my truck for, which is towing heavy loads in mountainous terrain, I just cannot imagine a turbocharged gas engine and automatic trans designed for passenger car duty lasting very long under those types of conditions. I can't afford to buy a new truck every three years, so I hang onto mine for as long as I can. My friend had an F150 Ecoboost and used it exactly like I use mine, and he went through three engines. It was a nightmare to get warranty work done, the dealer tried using every excuse in the book to not do the repairs on this new truck. He had to resort to social media and ultimately Ford caught wind of the situation and ended up buying the truck back. He drives a GM Diesel now.

If I had to go new today, I'd probably try to find a Silverado with a 5.3 that doesn't have the AFM. They brought it back on the 2019's and I still don't trust it. I know you can tune it out, etc. but I want a vehicle that's 100% stock, unmolested that I can drive for 200,000 miles and/or until it rusts out.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
For what I use my truck for, which is towing heavy loads in mountainous terrain, I just cannot imagine a turbocharged gas engine and automatic trans designed for passenger car duty lasting very long under those types of conditions. I can't afford to buy a new truck every three years, so I hang onto mine for as long as I can. My friend had an F150 Ecoboost and used it exactly like I use mine, and he went through three engines. It was a nightmare to get warranty work done, the dealer tried using every excuse in the book to not do the repairs on this new truck. He had to resort to social media and ultimately Ford caught wind of the situation and ended up buying the truck back. He drives a GM Diesel now.

If I had to go new today, I'd probably try to find a Silverado with a 5.3 that doesn't have the AFM. They brought it back on the 2019's and I still don't trust it. I know you can tune it out, etc. but I want a vehicle that's 100% stock, unmolested that I can drive for 200,000 miles and/or until it rusts out.

Honestly, if I wanted a half ton and had the money, I'd go straight for a Tundra. It's been the most reliable half ton truck in America for just about as long as it's existed. Sure, it may not have all the new whiz bang tech, and it's not as powerful as some competition, but it does everything well enough and basically never breaks. That would probably be why dealers can ask, and get, such ridiculous prices for them. Used Tundras are especially bad. Around here, 10+ year old Tundras with over 200k still sell for 10 grand or more. Still not as bad as Land Cruisers, though. Those things would probably cost less if they were made of solid gold.

Last edited:

This. This place is full of people fearful of new technology and tends to lament the old junk we once bought.

For what I use my truck for, which is towing heavy loads in mountainous terrain, I just cannot imagine a turbocharged gas engine and automatic trans designed for passenger car duty lasting very long under those types of conditions. I can't afford to buy a new truck every three years, so I hang onto mine for as long as I can. My friend had an F150 Ecoboost and used it exactly like I use mine, and he went through three engines.

What the heck was your friend doing to his truck? I run a 2011 Ecoboost bought with 43k (now at 93k) and tow a camper with a GVW of 9900 lbs with it. Up to NY State, through PA, down to VA in the mountains and interstates. It does great, on the first engine and it runs like a top. I can't imagine running rated loads in a new Ford, GM, Toyota, or Nissan would have it needing 3 engines.

Originally Posted by itguy08
For what I use my truck for, which is towing heavy loads in mountainous terrain, I just cannot imagine a turbocharged gas engine and automatic trans designed for passenger car duty lasting very long under those types of conditions. I can't afford to buy a new truck every three years, so I hang onto mine for as long as I can. My friend had an F150 Ecoboost and used it exactly like I use mine, and he went through three engines.

What the heck was your friend doing to his truck? I run a 2011 Ecoboost bought with 43k (now at 93k) and tow a camper with a GVW of 9900 lbs with it. Up to NY State, through PA, down to VA in the mountains and interstates. It does great, on the first engine and it runs like a top. I can't imagine running rated loads in a new Ford, GM, Toyota, or Nissan would have it needing 3 engines.

Not sure. I know once he remote started it, and when he got in it the oil pressure gauge was at zero and the engine sounded like a diesel. That was the first engine I believe.

Indeed the typical poster to this thread will say a pick-up should be 15K with the GM 3.8. Along with a 5 Speed manual, manual windows and locks. To them automobile technology peaked in 1985.

Indeed the typical poster to this thread will say a pick-up should be 15K with the GM 3.8. Along with a 5 Speed manual, manual windows and locks. To them automobile technology peaked in 1985.
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Honestly, if I wanted a half ton and had the money, I'd go straight for a Tundra. It's been the most reliable half ton truck in America for just about as long as it's existed. Sure, it may not have all the new whiz bang tech, and it's not as powerful as some competition, but it does everything well enough and basically never breaks. That would probably be why dealers can ask, and get, such ridiculous prices for them. Used Tundras are especially bad. Around here, 10+ year old Tundras with over 200k still sell for 10 grand or more. Still not as bad as Land Cruisers, though. Those things would probably cost less if they were made of solid gold.

Yep the new whiz bang technology on newer higher performance trucks is failing at near the same rate as the Tundra. The difference is the whiz bang stuff is selling around 5 times higher than the Tundra.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Not only that, if a manufacturer just happens to offer something very close to what these "enthusiasts" are asking for, these people will often turn around and say they will buy it used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

This board is the buying public. You guys are naming a few cheap skates.
Even if not as I say, the people here are deal seekers. There is no deal in a Ranger yet.
No beef with it and if I really liked it I'd buy it. I just don't see the value in it.

It's too bad that Ford cheaped out and used a six year old platform to Americanize to quickly get to market.
I have looked at a Ranger and the GM is actually a bit nicer.But the back seat area in both is not very utilitarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back