2012 LaCrosse 3.6l LFX 92.5k maxlife 5w-30 w 5.5k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom's Impala 3.6 did same thing on Pennzoil 5w30. It looked like burnt syrup. If I can talk her into it I want to try Valvoline advanced synthetic high mileage in it to help with oil break down and possibly usage. Engine looks clean through oil fill but suspect carbon on rings which only fix is rebuild. Sad for 124k and it loss one quart last oil change and 2 this time. She had 100k warranty but at 100k only lost one quart between changes.

I've heard lots of people say the LFX eats oil like this, also heard you can replace the pcv valve and modify it to help.

Last edited:
Two quarts low on one of the better high mileage oils on the market? Make sure you check the oil level once a month and top it up.

Originally Posted by Danimal1q2w3
Oil was 2 quarts low when I changed it.

2 quarts low ? How many miles on that oil ? 123,000 miles on the car ?

I take it , the car , otherwise , is in good condition ?

Were it mine , I would look for a synthetic with a reputation for very good cleaning properties . I would change it more often and hope for the best . And definatly change the PCV valve ( I know nothing about the mod that has been mentioned ) .

I would also change / drain / service the other under hood fluids . And the transmission .

We have a 2006 Lacrosse 3.8l . Nice cars . We bought ours in 2016 with ~ 36,000 miles on it .

Best of luck , :)

2 quarts low will add a lot more wear to the timing chain. You really need to check/top off more often.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
2 quarts low will add a lot more wear to the timing chain. You really need to check/top off more often.

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned checking the oil level more often.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Good idea to check oil at least once a month. Put it on your calendar if its hard to remember with a busy life, understood.

That said, this engine is wearing well, average iron PPM levels are fine. The oil pickup tube is low in the sump, so its been pumping oil, even 2 quarts down is not that bad. Much more than that could be an issue, but not this engine. Good choice of engine oil here, MaxLife with its titanium protects well.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Mom's Impala 3.6 did same thing on Pennzoil 5w30. It looked like burnt syrup. If I can talk her into it I want to try Valvoline advanced synthetic high mileage in it to help with oil break down and possibly usage. Engine looks clean through oil fill but suspect carbon on rings which only fix is rebuild. Sad for 124k and it loss one quart last oil change and 2 this time. She had 100k warranty but at 100k only lost one quart between changes.
Wait, before tearing down the engine, try a patented POE+AN+etc. blend specifically targeting carbon on pistons. Ordered at https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/valvoline-877377/premium-blue-restore-10w30-gallon-p-vvl-877377 ..... Only use May thru October since it's a 10w cold oil. ....
[Linked Image]

There have been bitog threads on its efficacy
See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4778351/1 for details.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by PimTac
Good idea to check oil at least once a month. Put it on your calendar if its hard to remember with a busy life, understood.

That said, this engine is wearing well, average iron PPM levels are fine. The oil pickup tube is low in the sump, so its been pumping oil, even 2 quarts down is not that bad. Much more than that could be an issue, but not this engine. Good choice of engine oil here, MaxLife with its titanium protects well.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Wait, before tearing down the engine, try a patented POE+AN+etc. blend specifically targeting carbon on pistons. Ordered at https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/valvoline-877377/premium-blue-restore-10w30-gallon-p-vvl-877377 ..... Only use May thru October since it's a 10w cold oil. ....
[Linked Image]

There have been bitog threads on its efficacy
See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4778351/1 for details.

I don't plan to teardown engine as she drives 75 miles a day and this is her only car. She is reluctant to try high mileage oil as only one with certification of Dexos is Valvoline and she has ran Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 exclusively with 5k to 7k oil changes. She seems to think maybe she should not have gone over 3k for last 100k and she hates having to put synthetic oil in it.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
2 quarts low will add a lot more wear to the timing chain.

Could you please elaborate?

The 3.6L GM motors are known for early timing chain failures. Its been traced back to low oil level adding extra wear. When the oil is a little low it will not starve the bearings but the chain wear does increase.

GMs fix for this was to make the oil life monitor more aggressive and change the oil sooner since so many people do longer oil change intervals and do not check their oil. I have had 2 3.6 motors in my cars and 2 BiLs that each had a Cadillac with the 3.6. None of them, even one that's went 200k, ever had timing chain issues. I have several customers with 3.6 and no issues there as I stress the importance to check the oil level at least every month or 1k, which ever comes first.

2 quarts low is plenty low enough to start to starve the timing chain on those motors. Its not a easy or cheap repair when they go bad, but is very easy to mitigate.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
2 quarts low will add a lot more wear to the timing chain.

Could you please elaborate?

The 3.6L GM motors are known for early timing chain failures. Its been traced back to low oil level adding extra wear. When the oil is a little low it will not starve the bearings but the chain wear does increase.

GMs fix for this was to make the oil life monitor more aggressive and change the oil sooner since so many people do longer oil change intervals and do not check their oil. I have had 2 3.6 motors in my cars and 2 BiLs that each had a Cadillac with the 3.6. None of them, even one that's went 200k, ever had timing chain issues. I have several customers with 3.6 and no issues there as I stress the importance to check the oil level at least every month or 1k, which ever comes first.

2 quarts low is plenty low enough to start to starve the timing chain on those motors. Its not a easy or cheap repair when they go bad, but is very easy to mitigate.

Thanks!
I take it the timing chain is splash lubricated?

Update:
Replaced pcv valve with the mentioned mod and no change in consumption.
Added an oil catch can and consumption stopped. Pretty sure it's coincidental and I think the cold winter months and all the idling involved was causing excessive consumption. Since the weather has warmed up I've had literally no noticeable consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back