TC-W3 Oil add to fuel in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you using TC-W3 in your regular fuel fills at 640:1, I wanted to know if you add it after filling the tank of fuel (exact amount of oil added) or add the oil before filling the tank (estimated amount)?

I want to experiment with it in an engine in our family of vehicles.

It's been a long time since this was talked about regularly here and I can't remember how members were doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
When I did it I added at the gas station then pumped the gas. I know by the fuel gauge if I need 10 or 15 gallons of fuel. So I'd add either 2 ounces or 3 and pump to a round $ figure ~ 10 or 15 gallons of gas. I might have been a hair over or under on the mix.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I dont see how such a small amount can do anything.

That is what I thought too. I keep my vehicles long term, so I have ample opportunity to test. Some of my vehicles do not care. Others have a solid 3% to 5% mileage increase. That amount of oil does not cost much. If it is reducing friction that much then there has to be a wear difference too. I have tested several times, it is always worth an extra 20 to 40 miles per tank on the ones that care. I do not know what the mechanism is. I do not know why some engines respond and others don't. I am 100% sure that there can be an effect.

Rod

I was going to make a thread about TC-W3, but I'll scavenge yours.
TC-W3 was all the rage 7 years ago, what caused the fad to die?

For some reason I have a few gallons of TC-W3 in my garage that I don't remember buying. I know I can't use it in my air cooled 2 stroke, so I've been using it as a general oil. But I've started adding it to the gas in the pickup to see how it does.

I have 20 years of MPG data for the pickup to work off of.

I put mine in before pumping the gas so that the gas washes the TC-W3 down the filler pipe and helps mix it into the tank.. I have an Ultragauge in both cars, so I know how much fuel it will take before I pump.

I keep the TC-W3 in an old Stabil bottle . . . makes it easy to measure.

Reactions: a5m
I add it before. I dont use a measuring device, but I do use an old Lucas UCL bottle that measures about 5 oz. I add it all to my fuel since I usually add close to 25 gallons to my f150 each week (30 gallon tank).

currently using Pennzoil Premium Plus (16 bucks for 2 gallons, clearance at walmart), but I have used ST (12 bucks a gallon) and Mag 1 black bottle (6 bucks for the gallon on clearance at pepboys). Check clearance racks at your auto parts stores, tcw3, at least in my area, is always being clearanced. I once got a PPP tcw3 quart for 89 cents at O'Rielly's

Last edited:
Pretty sure just driving with a lighter foot explains mpg boost.
Pouring last summer's 40:1 TCW-3 mix into my VW bus fuel tank just tints the valves bluish-green.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Is everyone using 640:1 on a typical 50:1 TC-W3?

*There are some online calculators you can use - I ended up going a little less at around 900:1 which was about 2.5 oz. in a 14 gal. tank or 3 oz. to a 18 gal. tank ... In my experience too much TC-W3 hurt my gas mileage plus at around 900:1 ratio if I over did it a little I would still be far away from having added too much . It's something you have to play around with - I've used everything from 640:1 to 1280:1 ratio .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by StevieC
Is everyone using 640:1 on a typical 50:1 TC-W3?

*There are some online calculators you can use - I ended up going a little less at around 900:1 which was about 2.5 oz. in a 14 gal. tank or 3 oz. to a 18 gal. tank ... In my experience too much TC-W3 hurt my gas mileage plus at around 900:1 ratio if I over did it a little I would still be far away from having added too much . It's something you have to play around with - I've used everything from 640:1 to 1280:1 ratio .

Thanks Chris.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by zorobabel
For those that have used TC-W3 for 7 years, did you have any catalytic converter trouble?

I wondered about this as well...

I've been using it for about 2 years. I did have a cat give out, but it was separated completely. I'm not going to blame that on the tcw3. Other than that, no issues at all.

Originally Posted by addyguy
My favourite gas additive thread, an oldie but a goodie:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/297922/1

laugh.gif

When I had my 86 Caravan I used to put a quart of transmission fluid in the gas tank ocassionally and I swear it had an effect on engine performance. This was a not a fuel injected engine and without a Catalytic converter though.

Terry still advises again MMO (and I suspect Transmission fluid) as well as TC-W3 because of soot issues. I suspect with the TC-W3 it's because he assumes folks aren't using the 640:1 ratio but rather something closer to 50:1 but I keep forgetting to ask him in our conversations and really didn't have a need to try it until the project I'm working on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back