Motorcycle training and licencing

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Yamaha XVS thread it looks like there are some pretty diverse licencing requirements across the US and the world. I was interested to know what you have to do to get on a 'big bike' where you are?

Here in the UK it is pretty convoluted (which is a reason given by the MC industry for falling sales):

- before you can ride a bike of any size you have to apply for and obtain a provisional licence and then take a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course - usually takes one day and includes theory and an observed ride on the road. The usual is either a 125cc scooter (for people who only want to ride these) or a 125cc geared bike (for those with bigger intentions). The CBT has a 2 year life - if you don't take any further tests before it expires you have to do it again. Some people just do an eternal cycle of CBTs, enabling them to ride a 125cc bike with learner-plates on, meaning no passengers and no using the motorways. Common pizza delivery riders' route.
- once you have your CBT you can then take a formal riding test*:
-- if aged 16 you can only ride a 50cc bike - you need a CBT and can take a 'moped' test but nobody does as it gains you little and in a year you can move up
-- if aged 17-19 you can take a test* to ride up to 125cc with a maximum power-to-weight ratio
-- if aged 19-24 you can take a test* to ride a bike up to 35kW (47bhp) with a maximum power-to-weight. The bike can be restricted to meet the power limit, but the full power from which it was restricted can not be more than double the limited power (so 70kW/94 bhp maximum)
-- if aged 24 or older you can take a test* to go straight to an unrestricted licence, to ride any bike of any size or power.

For the mid-power and full-power licences, you can either go straight in for those tests (if you are old enough) or you can do the lower power test and wait 2 years, do another test to 'upgrade' your licence to the next stage up. This means that you can beat the age limit (eg, if you are 19, do the mid-power test, wait 2 years you can go for the full-power test at 21).

* the test is done in 2 parts - 1st on an off-road test course (in a parking lot or similar) doing various handling manouvres then a second test on the road. You have to do them in order and have to have done the classroom-based theory test first.

You can do training for the mid- and full-power licences on a bike of the appropriate type, but you have to be accompanied by, and in radio contact with, an approved motorcycle training instructor and you must display learner plates. You can not ride anything more than a 125cc bike on your own (or with experienced riders) until you have the correct licence.

Luckily I got my licence many years ago when it was far simpler (CBT plus one theory and one practical test).

Here in California. You take a simple written test. If you pass you get your permit. You can ride anywhere except a freeway or at night.

Then when your ready you go back to the DMV and show them that you can ride straight,shift 3x and stop. If you pass you get the motorcycle endorsement added to your car license.

You do not need a motorcycle license in South Carolina ... :eek:)

Your drivers license is enough with a simple written test but if you carry a passenger on the motorcycle, you do need a motorcycle license and need to take a road test.
Oops, just noticed its the same as CA above this post.

Last edited:
We have graduated licencing in Ontario, both for cagers and motorcycles. M endorsement is the full licence. I believe it is possible to have an M licence without a 'G' for passenger cars. Insurance is mandatory and very expensive, especially for beginners...

Ontario M licence

Had been riding for decade in the 80's and 90's. I've never got a M license. They give you a permit and you ride for a few months then they give you a road test. - if you are still alive! Sounded stupid so I ignored the states' revenue scheme.

I just rode with my car DL. Been stopped a couple times and the cops never said anything about not having a motorcycle endorsement.

I would not ride now whe I live - though Id like to. Too much traffic and driver inattention on the road.

Watch - Ill buy a bike this Spring!

Last edited:
In Missouri you can rake a rider course and get an exemption.

Or you can take the state written test, weave thru some cones and then accelerate, shift, stop in a little box.

Rod

Illinois was similar when I did it in the 1990s.

Took the MotorCycle Safety Course at SIUE and passing that counted as your practical exam. I still had to take a written exam at a Driver Services office, but got my MotorCycle endorsement.

I didn't own a bike at the time, so the MSC was a good way to go.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
In Missouri you can rake a rider course and get an exemption.

Or you can take the state written test, weave thru some cones and then accelerate, shift, stop in a little box.

Rod

When I got my first motorcycle license in Illinois, there were 2 levels - Class L and Class M. Class L was 150cc or less, Class M was any engine size.
My first license was a class L, I took and passed the written, then took the riding test on a Honda CT90. Passed.
The next time my license was due, I took a riding test on my Hodaka 250SL and got my class M.
This was in the early 80s. I never took a course or had any formal training.
I miss riding. I havn't ridden since I got married, 25 years ago. But I still have my class M.
As long as you don't screw up on the road, renewing is just a matter of paying the fee.

I kind of like the graduated license that the UK, Australia, Japan and others have. Helps prevent the 18 yr old that has never ridden a bike from going out and buying a liter sport bike and killing themselves and others.

In Texas, you must pass the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course before applying for a license.
Once you have your MSF certificate, you have 2 options, get a motorcycle permit, where you must ride with a licensed motorcycle rider in site that is age 21 or older, or you can go and get your motorcycle endorsement at the drivers license office. Not really sure why you would get a permit instead of a license though.

Seems I heard that passing the MSF course also counts as your driving test portion for DPS? Not positive on that though.

Interesting thing is, in Texas you can get your full motorcycle drivers license at age 15, so long as you have an automotive learners permit and have passed the MSF course.

There are no restrictions on engine size or power. There is a exemption for license if you drive a motorcycle/moped with an engine size less than 50cc.

Licensing for Motorcycles in Alberta includes a written and road test. 16yo or older may apply and no size restriction. Sadly the spring is often "cull" season here. Between new riders with hyper-powered bikes, residual road gravel from the winter and clueless box jockeys not looking for riders, a number of riders are killed and injured every spring. I gave up around 25yo and moved to off road mountain biking. Better fitness for me anyway. 49cc and smaller is considered a moped and can be ridden, with insurance, by anyone with a written learners permit from 14 and up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Here in California. You take a simple written test. If you pass you get your permit. You can ride anywhere except a freeway or at night.

Then when your ready you go back to the DMV and show them that you can ride straight,shift 3x and stop. If you pass you get the motorcycle endorsement added to your car license.

Ohio is very similar to that. Additionally, on your permit, you can't have a passenger and can't travel on "busy" roadways. No definition of what constitutes "busy" though.

The actual endorsement is pretty similar with a "driving" test in a parking lot with cones, lines for accelerating up to 'x' mph then braking within a 'box', etc, etc. I took mine on my 185cc on/off road and it was light enough that I could almost throw it around at will. Others took the test on 1200cc Harleys...and failed ! Once you get your license, you are required to wear a helmet for the first year.

Mind you, these are from when I took the test quite a few years ago and may have changed some.

Originally Posted by 02SE
M/C License requirements by State

Very vague for some states.

That site has 3 sentences for Texas:
A Class M driver's license authorizes the holder to operate a motorcycle or moped.

An applicant required to take a motorcycle road test must provide a passenger vehicle and licensed driver to convey the license examiner during the road test. Operation of a three-wheeled motorcycle requires completion of a training course and a restricted Class M license.

It leaves out the need for a MSF course to get a license in Texas.

The Texas Department of Public Safety site says:
Motorcycle and Moped Licenses
In addition to meeting the requirements necessary to obtain a regular driver license, individuals must apply for a Class M to operate a motorcycle or moped.

The Motorcycle Operator's Manual is available to help prepare individuals to get their motorcycle license.

Motorcycle Safety Course
To obtain a Class M driver license, individuals must take a DPS-approved motorcycle safety course and bring the certificate of completion with them to the driver license office. If an individual has a valid motorcycle license from another state, DPS will waive the motorcycle safety course requirement.

Note: The Motorcycle Safety Course completion certificate is only valid for 24 months from issuance.

Minors
Prior to enrolling in the motorcycle safety course, minors (aged 15 - 17) must either:

Have a Class C learner license and have completed the 32 hour classroom phase of a driver education course; or
Present a certificate of completion of the classroom phase (32 hours) of a driver education course (the behind the wheel portion of the driver education course is not required to take the motorcycle safety course or apply for a Class M license; or
A provisional driver license.
Application Requirements for Minors
Applicants must be at least 15 years of age and may be restricted to operating a motorcycle with no more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement. This restriction can be removed on the applicants 16th birthday. To apply for a Class M license, a minor must:

Apply in person at a Texas Driver License office and complete the requirements for an original applicant (if no current Texas license),
Present a Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R) completion certificate,
Present a:
Class C Provisional license,
Driver Education form (DE-964) verifying 32 classroom hours, or a completion certificate. Parent Taught Driver Education students must also present Parent Taught Driver Education form (PTDE-964) verifying 32 hours of Driver Education or
Class C learner license and a DE-964 showing completion of a 32 hour driver education course,
Submit a high-school Verification of Enrollment and Attendance (VOE) form,
Be accompanied by a Parent, who must provide an authorization signature, and
Pass the mandatory motorcycle knowledge (moped applicants only) and skills exam.
Note: Applicant must provide the motorcycle and a car and driver to follow the applicant during the driving test for a motorcycle license.

Minors from Out-of-State
In Texas, the driver education requirement applies to all individuals under 18, even if they already hold a motorcycle license from another state.

Vision and Knowledge Tests may be required for a motorcycle or moped license. The motorcycle knowledge test is waived for persons presenting a valid Motorcycle Safety Course completion certificate as of January 12. 2015. This does NOT apply to applicants for a moped license who are required by statute to pass the motorcycle knowledge test.

Motorcycle Drive Test
The motorcycle drive test CANNOT be waived for any applicant under 18. All Individuals must take the motorcycle drive test unless the individuals are:

18 years of age or older, has completed a motorcycle safety course and holds a valid, unrestricted Texas Class A, B, or C license
18 years of age or older and is transferring a valid, unrestricted motorcycle license from another state or province of Canada;
Applying for a motorcycle learner license (J restriction—see "Class M Restrictions" section below); or
Only going to ride mopeds (P36 restriction—see "Class M Restrictions" section below).
Moped
Individuals applying for a moped must take the basic driver license knowledge test (unless the individual holds a learner license or driver license) and the motorcycle knowledge test. Both tests will be waived for individuals who hold a valid motorcycle license from another state.

The motorcycle skills test is not required for those applying for a moped license.

We have a graduated system in NZ.. When I got mine I just sat a written, then went out and rode my bike...this was a provisional. A few weeks later I went back, rode a figure 8 while the cop was talking to someone else, and then I had a learner license. After a couple of years that turned into a full license, no test or anything, it was just a time thing. There was no restriction on bikes, speed, pillions or anything else.

In the early '70's, when the so called Superbikes came out, 16 year old kids could slap down a deposit and ride away on a Kawasaki Mach III...it could be the first time they had ever ridden a bike. They were killing themselves left right and centre, the road toll for motorcylists was horrific. something had to be done, so a propper learner system was started. You got a learner license and were restricted to a 250. This went on for decades...of course you could get a 250 that was pretty fast, and the 250 market became a thing of it's own...a flogged out CBR250 was worth as much as a nice CBR1000.

A few things were refined over the years - now you have to get a handling certificate first...this shows you can get the bike off the stand, get on and off, push it around and ride around a car park without falling over. At this point they will let you out on the road by yourself. The 250 rule was a dropped a few years ago, and now it is a power to weight ratio and less than 650cc. Much better than the 250 rule. At one stage I owned a couple of Yamahas, an XT600 and a DT230...a learner couldn't ride the XT600, but the DT230 was ok. Now the slow XT600 is a good learners bike, and the crazy 2 stroke DT230 is not considered safe in the hands of a learner.

I don't have to go through the learner system, so I think it's all good. There are rider training programs, subsidided by the government, and aimed at various levels. I don't need to do them because I've been riding for 50 years and know everything.

Wow - it seems we have it pretty hard over here! But perhaps for good reasons. There is a feeling amongst some that the draconian licencing laws are designed to kill off motorcycles - it seems to be working.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Interesting thing is, in Texas you can get your full motorcycle drivers license at age 15, so long as you have an automotive learners permit and have passed the MSF course. There are no restrictions on engine size or power.

So at FIFTEEN, after passing a course, a kid can legally ride whatever bike they want?

Originally Posted by hpb
Interesting thing is, in Texas you can get your full motorcycle drivers license at age 15, so long as you have an automotive learners permit and have passed the MSF course. There are no restrictions on engine size or power.

So at FIFTEEN, after passing a course, a kid can legally ride whatever bike they want?

I misspoke on that one, at 15 you can get a license, but are limited to a 250cc bike, at age 16, you can then go get whatever you want.
Not sure when that was added. At age 15 I had my license and a VF500F sportbike, and was riding friends GSXR1000 legally.

In Texas, you must pass the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course before applying for a license.
Once you have your MSF certificate, you have 2 options, get a motorcycle permit, where you must ride with a licensed motorcycle rider in site that is age 21 or older, or you can go and get your motorcycle endorsement at the drivers license office. Not really sure why you would get a permit instead of a license though.

Seems I heard that passing the MSF course also counts as your driving test portion for DPS? Not positive on that though.

Interesting thing is, in Texas you can get your full motorcycle drivers license at age 15, so long as you have an automotive learners permit and have passed the MSF course.

If your over 18 with a valid drivers license you do not need a motorcycle safety course and no mention of a MSF.
If you are over 18 and do take the motorcycle Safety Course (not MSF course) they will waive the written test and road test.

"Completing a motorcycle safety course is required of all Texas motorcycle license applicants.

If you're between 15 and 17 years old, before enrolling in a motorcycle safety course you must already have any of the following:

Class C learner's license.
Certificate of completion for standard classroom Driver's Ed.
Provisional driver's license.

If you're at least 18 years old with a valid Texas driver's license, completing a motorcycle education course allows you to waive the Department of Public Safety's motorcycle written and road exams.

Regardless of your age, taking a motorcycle safety course can be extremely beneficial, enabling you to learn skills like:

Avoiding dangerous situations and riding behaviors.
Basic motorcycle handling (e.g. stopping and turning).
Dealing with emergencies.
Choosing the most protective clothing.

If you'd like to learn more about motorcycle education in Texas, check out the DPS' guide to the motorcycle safety course. When you're ready to enroll in a motorcycle safety course, reference the TX Department of Public Safety's list of approved motorcycle trainers throughout the state. "

Source -

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

If your over 18 with a valid drivers license you do not need a motorcycle safety course and no mention of a MSF.
If you are over 18 and do take the motorcycle Safety Course (not MSF course) they will waive the written test and road test.

Your quoting a privately run site, I am quoting Texas DPS and personal experience.
You need to take a state approved motorcycle safety course, and the only approved course I have seen is the MSF course (basic or intermediate certificates will allow an exemption to the road test).

If over 18 and you already have a motorcycle license from another state, then you do not need to take the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back