Any BITOG members dye their white / gray hair ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dallas69
Real men don't dye their hair.

Did you feel the need to pound your chest and fix your huevos with that exclamation?

Edit: Forgot to actually answer the question lol. I'm late-20s now and started going gray at 16. Doesn't bother me at all. I tell people all the time that as long as I don't go bald, I have no cares. Plus the wife calls me her younger Clooney, I'll take what I can get!

Last edited:
I started having grey hair show up around 16-17. Now at 35 I am fully salt and pepper and don't do anything. Not worth the hassle plus anyone that knows me would see right through the disguise.

I loved to wear a beard, but it turned white in my early 40s and I dyed it a few times before just shaving it. Couldn't stand looking like Santa and messed up the last time I dyed it, just before a job interview...was going for very light brown and it came out too dark, looked bad with my hair still being blonde at the time.
My mustache was naturally blondish-reddish and turned steel wool grey a few years after I shaved the beard, so I shaved that off, too.
I don't have much blonde hair left, mostly grey and pretty thin on top. I can't see shaving my head because it's too lumpy, just keep it short for now and hope I don't lose much more. I can't stand the Ben Franklin look with a bald pate and long hair elsewhere, saw that called the "skirted eggshell" look and laughed my head off.

Got a lot of grey, hair, bead, and back. (Wife used to refer to me as her silverback back in the day that things were noticed other than the credit card not getting paid)

Never will dye it.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I started having grey hair show up around 16-17. Now at 35 I am fully salt and pepper and don't do anything. Not worth the hassle plus anyone that knows me would see right through the disguise.

I started going grey in the 3rd grade.
Still remember the shock and astonishment of my female classmate who noticed them
shocked.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Not to sound like ZZ man.... but do any BITOG with white / gray hair dye it ?

I see this more often and wonder why some men just keep their normal color. Sometimes it looks like they dyed their hair with Kiwi shoe polish.
smile.gif

I'd never dye my hair once it turns white.

What hair? Hard to dye hair you do not have.

Any man with a full head of hair is overdressed. Joe Garagiola

Amen!

Hair is overrated.

Originally Posted by Donald
Not to sound like ZZ man.... but do any BITOG with white / gray hair dye it ?

I see this more often and wonder why some men just keep their normal color. Sometimes it looks like they dyed their hair with Kiwi shoe polish.
smile.gif

I'd never dye my hair once it turns white.

What hair? Hard to dye hair you do not have.

Any man with a full head of hair is overdressed. Joe Garagiola

Not to sound like ZZ man....

Hey now, what is wrong with that?.....:)

I have. I like using used motor oil. It comes out black and the oil conditions too.

I jest. Yes I have. Used both regular hair dye and stuff like Just for Men. Gave up because it doesn't last as long as I would like. Plus gray on men is distinguished right?

NEVER. I shave my head of graying blonde hair. My mustache still has a good amount of natural color and my beard is all gray/white.

Don

At a local hospital there is a gent about 65 who dyes his coal black. Looks absolutely fake and horrible.
But I have nothing against it. If it bothers you to the point that it impacts your life, go for it.
Not more me though.

My hair and beard is mostly gray. I like it that way. I might try to dye it if I had some left over Arco Graphite from the 70's

I already get blamed for it. My brown head-hair has no grey in it at all, my mustache and goatee are almost grey-white. So people think I colour my hair.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Real men don't dye their hair.
Can't really disagree. I am 66 and you can't hide the fact no matter what you do. Every one in a while I have a conversation with a really nice looking younger woman and I think yes I am still the stud muffin,,, until they call me Honey.

I started getting a little salt in my originally very dark brown hair around thirty, around the time of the birth of our first son.
Coincidence?
Maybe not.
Anyway, at sixty two I now have a head of silver hair and my beard is mostly that color as well, although I remain clean-shaven.
I get many compliments on how good my hair looks, but even in the absence of that, I couldn't bring myself to dye it.
Too much trouble and also too fake looking.
Years ago I asked my mother in jest if I'd look younger if I dyed my hair.
She replied that I'd look younger if I resumed working out and lost some weight.
I took this somewhat snarky advice to heart and followed it.

A couple of things surprise me in this improbable thread:
1) The number reporting starting to turn even younger than I did (1 lone hair at ~25);
2) The number saying their long-ago former natural hair color is "natural." It isn't.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Not to sound like ZZ man....

Hey now, what is wrong with that?.....:)

I have. I like using used motor oil. It comes out black and the oil conditions too.

I jest. Yes I have. Used both regular hair dye and stuff like Just for Men. Gave up because it doesn't last as long as I would like. Plus gray on men is distinguished right?

that's a great line from mr. nice.
when I saw the thread title, I just assumed that it was from m.o.m., or zman. maybe,mr. nice fired one up before he started this thread.

zman -- where is your mind, man.everybody knows that you use a 5w-20 high moly oil.
you and m.o.m. keep it up with your "interesting" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back