Fram baseplate differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why various models of Fram filters have different baseplates? The holes are bigger than one and not the other, so you'd think the bigger holes would flow a bit better and it would make sense to use them on everything. Or am I overthinking it? The PH3614 for my Tacoma has the small holes but the filter my buddy's GMC Sierra has, a PH3506 which is the same canister size, has the bigger baseplate inlet holes.

download.png

download (1).png

s-l300.jpg

26983428_fra_hm3387a_pri_larg.jpg

We had many threads on this subject, as long as the area of the outlet spud is equal to or less than the sum total of the area of the inlet holes you are fine. "Flow" is not affected.

They have another too. The PH9688 has many very small holes. Probably a similar be diameter to the ph3614.

The main oil passage in many engines is only around 3/8" or 10mm inside diameter.

The "sum flow" of those oil holes combined far exceeds the flow limits of the engine oil galleries.

Originally Posted by kschachn
We had many threads on this subject, as long as the area of the outlet spud is equal to or less than the sum total of the area of the inlet holes you are fine. "Flow" is not affected.

Yeah, same old misconceptions that keep on popping up.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Or am I overthinking it?

Yep
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back