Dealer service courtesy cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never really had a service where I had a courtesy car. However, I've had dealer service where my car was washed before I got it back.

However, I've been having a heck of a time trying to get an appointment to replace the passenger side airbag for my 2004 WRX. I called around and no Subaru dealer around here can do it same day. The soonest was one kind of far away, but they offered a courtesy car, and absent that they'll rent a car for me. Seems like a good deal. Not sure why they say they need my car all day, as I understand this shouldn't take more than an hour. I was able to do it for my wife's Civic same day. Although I waited about 3.5 hours, it was mostly waiting in line for someone who could do it, and I made the appointment on Honda's online system less than 20 minutes before my appointment.

So what are your experiences? I know there are those courtesy cars that have the dealer's name on the window. Seems a bit cheesy to me. But they're offering to pay for a rental if they don't have that courtesy car. Not sure if they would do that for just a routine service, but I heard this is apparently fairly routine for these airbag recalls if it's going to take more than a few hours. I was told I didn't even have to fill the tank when I returned it - that it would be handled by the dealer.

Part of my extended warranty was a rental car, which was nice when my Durango's ac compressor seized at 95k miles. Got a mostly loaded 2017 Journey out of that for a week. Being under 25 though makes them pause real hard, even if you're driving a newer vehicle.

When my wife sideswiped a pole in the 300 they tried giving me some little stripped out Hyundai compact thing. I was like "Dude, I have a 2016 300. Can I at least get a full size?" Nope, can't give anyone under 25 a full-size.... yet 2 years prior they gave a Charger R/T, but I digress.

I've had a collision claims where I could get a rental. It's been kind odd though. When it was my fault I basically had up to 3 weeks with a maximum daily reimbursement. I had to wait that long because I brought in my car just before the shop closed around Christmas for about a week. Another time it wasn't my fault. My insurance company said that they would cover it, but only a certain amount. But if another part was at fault they couldn't really cheap out if I chose to get a fairly expensive rental.

Not sure what they have. I wouldn't mind if they had something like a new-ish WRX with a manual transmission. Something tells me they don't do that. However, in some of my experience with dealer servicing I remember a courtesy shuttle where it was actually one of the cars the dealer had. Also courtesy shuttles in minivans where I was driven to work.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Part of my extended warranty was a rental car, which was nice when my Durango's ac compressor seized at 95k miles. Got a mostly loaded 2017 Journey out of that for a week. Being under 25 though makes them pause real hard, even if you're driving a newer vehicle.

When my wife sideswiped a pole in the 300 they tried giving me some little stripped out Hyundai compact thing. I was like "Dude, I have a 2016 300. Can I at least get a full size?" Nope, can't give anyone under 25 a full-size.... yet 2 years prior they gave a Charger R/T, but I digress.

I would be severely PO if my dealership did that. You will sell me a brand new car at 18, but not give me a rental?

Also commonly called "loaners" in the luxury car market this is fairly common place. Loaners do increase the cost of doing business for the dealer but IMO they're a win-win for everyone. #1 The manufacturer knows that scheduled maintenance is being performed on their leased fleet. #2 Enables better scheduling of work for the service dept. #3 Encourages the "Time = $$" customers to use the dealer for non-warranty work rather than an independent.

The Subaru dealer I used to use was really good about loaners, they had several and I didn't mind driving around with their advertising on them. Last time I got a 2.5l Forester and was surprised that it didn't feel that gutless to me...I could probably even live with that level of performance as I approach retirement and might want to cut costs a bit. I wouldn't really LIKE it, but I could live with it.

After I figured out that dealer messed up my 60kmile service (used the wrong CVT fluid and then I needed a major repair at 80k, when they used the wrong fluid again and had to replace it when I called them on it), I'm going to try another dealer that's about the same distance from where I live. I sure hope they have loaners...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Also commonly called "loaners" in the luxury car market this is fairly common place. Loaners do increase the cost of doing business for the dealer but IMO they're a win-win for everyone. #1 The manufacturer knows that scheduled maintenance is being performed on their leased fleet. #2 Enables better scheduling of work for the service dept. #3 Encourages the "Time = $$" customers to use the dealer for non-warranty work rather than an independent.

I used to frequent an indy Toyota repair shop and they had loaners...very questionable vehicles, but they functioned and I worked less than 5 miles and lived about 10 miles from the place. Wouldn't have wanted to drive 40-50 miles in those things...I'd bet they bought them off people who came in needing major repairs and didn't want to pay for them and then fixed them up when they had spare time.

H

My BMW dealer has provided loaners for some time. All are BMWs and most all are well equipped(navigation, M Sport, Cold Weather, etc.). I even get one when I bring in my 1995 Club Sport. I also get a 20% discount on parts and labor so I use the dealer for most everything I can't DIY.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
The Subaru dealer I used to use was really good about loaners, ....

After I figured out that dealer messed up my 60kmile service (used the wrong CVT fluid and then I needed a major repair at 80k, when they used the wrong fluid again and had to replace it when I called them on it), I'm going to try another dealer that's about the same distance from where I live. I sure hope they have loaners...
Who was that? I had years ago Hampton Hyundai mess up a MT fluid change than say the car need a new transmission due to a TSB. Car worked FINE before they got their hands on the thing. It was one of the last Hyundai Sonatas you gould get with a manual trans. Nice car smooth ride decent handling. Morons! It appear most of the mechanics around here are early release prisoners and druggies, Not a god one to be found in the bunch.

3 experiences this year with loaners. My dealer uses new cars and cycles them out under 10k miles.

Alltrack the first time, not bad
Tiguan the 2nd, this was punishment compared to my GTI, don't know why people want CUV's.
21.gif

This time I'm the first to drive a 19 Passat. 18 miles when I got in it. Not too bad, makes a good highway cruiser. I'm trying to be nice and break it in properly.

My 14 Accord was a previous service loaner, great car.

Originally Posted by MCompact
H

My BMW dealer has provided loaners for some time. All are BMWs and most all are well equipped(navigation, M Sport, Cold Weather, etc.). I even get one when I bring in my 1995 Club Sport. I also get a 20% discount on parts and labor so I use the dealer for most everything I can't DIY.

Funny you mention BMW. With my particular dealership almost every BMW loaner given to me was overdo for its initial oil service.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
My dealer stays on top of keeping loaners serviced, although it's essentially a moot point since they get pulled out of service at @5000 miles.

I have a 2005, and when I took it in for passenger air bag replacement, it took less than an hour. Something is wrong with your dealer.

When the Accord in my sig went in for paint repair right after I bought it (and then again a couple weeks later because the first time they fixed the paint they did a horrible job) and I ended up having a loaner for at least a month in total. They drove to my work and my apartment to pick the car up, which was a good 45mins one way from their dealership and both times that they brought my car back, they had filled it up. I was impressed with the service.

Originally Posted by MCompact
My dealer stays on top of keeping loaners serviced, although it's essentially a moot point since they get pulled out of service at @5000 miles.

The first car I bought (in my own name) was a 1995 Integra GS-R. When I went for a test drive the salesman said they basically had two dedicated test drive vehicles - one Legend and one Integra GS-R. He said they would use them up to about 5000 miles, sell them used, and write off the loss of value as a business expense.

Not sure what they would have done if someone wanted to test drive an automatic. Probably would have just taken a new one. I'm not sure I could have gotten that GS-R as a loaner though. I never took in the GS-R. I always did my own oil changes and used independent shops for all other servicing. I only brought it into the dealer for stuff that other shops wouldn't do, like ABS (required special equipment to reset it) or once when I paid $75 to get my power antenna replaced.

My parents bought an '89 Integra for me to use during college and I took it to this dealer for their "service". Feel kind of ripped off, but when I asked for a ride they had an Integra with a manual transmission.

A friend got a Mustang while his 2012 Forester was being serviced for the Takata recall, it was the worst thing he drove(well, his mom - he had her drive his car to the dealer in exchange for her truck since it also fell on a camping weekend).

When my parents took their car to the local Lexus dealer, even though it was an older car they still got an newish ES350 out of it. I think Lexus set the bar high for service loaners. I hear too many stories of the local BMW and Mercedes dealers calling up Hertz or Enterprise just to get a Focus or Cobalt for someone used to a nicer car.

Originally Posted by nthach
A friend got a Mustang while his 2012 Forester was being serviced for the Takata recall, it was the worst thing he drove(well, his mom - he had her drive his car to the dealer in exchange for her truck since it also fell on a camping weekend).

When my parents took their car to the local Lexus dealer, even though it was an older car they still got an newish ES350 out of it. I think Lexus set the bar high for service loaners. I hear too many stories of the local BMW and Mercedes dealers calling up Hertz or Enterprise just to get a Focus or Cobalt for someone used to a nicer car.

Usually the local MB dealers have C classes as loners. I've heard of some people who had an S class get an S class as a loner, but they usually end up with either the E or C class. Kind of depends on the dealer. My boss has an Auid A8 and I think the last time he brought his car in, they gave him the A8 as a loaner so he ended up buying it. Kind of depends who you ask.

Sometimes if they don't have loaners, you end up with an Enterprise car. I usually make my appointment in advance and ask that they reserve a car for me. That's one way to make sure you get a decent car and not an Enterprise one when you just show up and ask on the spot.

That's what I miss the most about owning a Lincoln. They always provided a loaner -- even for free oil changes. I got to drive a new MKXs and MKCs (my previous MKC visited the dealer a lot!). My vehicle was always washed upon pick-up (did not like the greasy tire shine they applied).

I always ask if the dealer has service loaners when purchasing a car, it's a huge bonus if they do. I've found the higher end brands like BMW,Volvo,MB and VW usually do. No Ford, Chevy or Chrysler I've ever owned have had loaners. Oddly enough the one that surprised me was Hyundai. I had a Hyundai I owned in for service and they actually had loaner Sonata's as long as it was a major service.

The current VW dealer I use as it's more convenient does not, but they will arrange a discounted rental. Kinda sucks but not a huge deal as I like the service dept.

Originally Posted by Huie83
I always ask if the dealer has service loaners when purchasing a car, it's a huge bonus if they do. I've found the higher end brands like BMW,Volvo,MB and VW usually do. No Ford, Chevy or Chrysler I've ever owned have had loaners. Oddly enough the one that surprised me was Hyundai. I had a Hyundai I owned in for service and they actually had loaner Sonata's as long as it was a major service.

The current VW dealer I use as it's more convenient does not, but they will arrange a discounted rental. Kinda sucks but not a huge deal as I like the service dept.

The MB dealer always have loaners if you ask in advance. Even though it's a cheap C class, it's still a 40k car and the limits on the rental is 150 miles a day. I guess that justifies the $150-$200/hour rate they charge for labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back