Older phones on Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verizon is going to dump the old CDMA network by end of year which most older flip phones, iPhone 5 or below etc used.

My in-laws have Verizon flip phone service for $55/month for two phones. They live ocean front and also at ski home and other providers don't work well.

Do you think Verizon will offer any specials to older uses to get them newer flip phones with LTE?

Originally Posted by madRiver

Do you think Verizon will offer any specials to older uses to get them newer flip phones with LTE?
Nope. I would buy your phones through Walmart/Amazon/Ebay then program them on Verizon. Some of those flip phones are awfully expensive. You can buy a basic smart phone for $40 anymore. Maybe its time to upgrade? Around here its Verizon or its nothing.

I just set my mother in law up with a new ARP flip phone at the urging of my wife. They ARE harder to use than a smart phone. and the thing is junk. It was LTE though.

I have a windows phone and that's the easiest to use for smartphone dummies But basic functions are easy to learn on most any smart phone..

If I had it to do again, I would just unlock some friends or relatives prev gen (discarded) smartphone and throw a pay-as -you go simcard in there. I use cricket. Cheap and easy.

You can get very nice new phones for <$200. Same with a good condition used premium phone.

Does anyone know if you bring a Smartphone like an old iPhone/smartphone with LTE to Verizon do they require data turned on?

I'd go Total wireless which runs off the verizon network. It's great a 2 line plan is under $60 with 15gb shared data and unlimited talk and text. You can also purchase refurbished iphone 6 from them at $50 a piece or a galaxy luna pro for $30 if you buy a plan.
If they don't use data that much I'd purchase individual $25 plans which includes unlimited text and talk (no data) and afterwards for $10 add on a 5gb add on data card, which doesn't expire as long as you keep renewing the $25 plan.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you bring a Smartphone like an old iPhone/smartphone with LTE to Verizon do they require data turned on?

Yep - it's been a policy since PAYG data was blocked on smartphones in 2006-2007. It was mandatory with BlackBerrys.

Not required at Page Plus, which uses Verizon network. PP might easily be a better deal than Verizon if using not a lot of data, or if very low usage of like 25 minutes a month.

Originally Posted by DejaVue

Not required at Page Plus, which uses Verizon network. PP might easily be a better deal than Verizon if using not a lot of data, or if very low usage of like 25 minutes a month.

Just to piggyback onto this post: I have used Page Plus for several years now, using my phone very rarely and no need for data. The problem I ran into was very poor reception (via verizon towers) at my house. I've had a samsung GS3 and a HTC One m8 and both would hover between one and zero bars in the house (most other places away from home got great reception). But considering use from home is a requirement if my VOIP home phone goes out due to an internet outage, it's not a good backup.

I did some looking around and found that T-mobile has a pay go service that is similarly cheap. Since they use GSM phones and their own or different towers, I bought a used LG (T-Mobile locked) phone off of ebay and it showed 4 or 5 bars in my house. I then signed up for their paygo service and have great reception and the call quality/clarity is better than anything I ever had before. The only downside to TMo is their customer service is really FUBAR, it seems most of their customer service reps don't know anything (or care) about the paygo service.

I know most have found Verizon to have the best coverage, but if you live in a pocket where their signal is poor T-Mo is worth looking into. I also have to wonder if GSM signal is just simply superior (IDK). BTW, my HTC phone is still active with PP. At $5 every 4 months it's cheap insurance and worth keeping as a backup cell.

Originally Posted by sxg6
Look into google fi. $20 unlimited talk and text, $10 for each gb of data. If you use .1gb, you pay $1.

It uses three (or 5) networks, and connects to the network with the best signal. US Cellular, Sprint, and T-Mobile. I believe US Cellular lets you roam on Verizon's network, and T-Mobile lets you roam on ATT's network.

https://fi.google.com/about/

phone compatibility
https://fi.google.com/compatibility

According to their maps 3g coverage at her home, ski home and my house. Verizon is the superior choice for my locals so cheaper pricing not worth it.

Originally Posted by sxg6
Look into google fi. $20 unlimited talk and text, $10 for each gb of data. If you use .1gb, you pay $1.

It uses three (or 5) networks, and connects to the network with the best signal. US Cellular, Sprint, and T-Mobile. I believe US Cellular lets you roam on Verizon's network, and T-Mobile lets you roam on ATT's network.

https://fi.google.com/about/

phone compatibility
https://fi.google.com/compatibility

According to their maps 3g coverage at her home, ski home and my house. Verizon is the superior choice for my locals so cheaper pricing not worth it.

Except maybe if you go through Red Pocket.
You can select any of the 4 cell providers in our country. Verizon, ATT, T Mobile or Sprint.

I used to have Cricket and still recommend them to non techy people as Cricket (ATT Owned) is a more refined in signing up.

Anyway, have 3 unlimited text, data (5gigs per line of high speed, then lower speed until your new billing month) and voice lines with Red Pocket on ATT total ACTUAL payment is less then $74.00 a month for all three lines.

(with the above said, 2 of the 4 providers do have a lower 3gb of high speed per line instead of 5, not sure which ones but its on Red Pocket website)

Last edited:
why did you dump cricket? i am on verizon prepaid and upset over not having visual voicemail and was considering going on cricket for the fact they offer visual voicemail.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
why did you dump cricket? i am on verizon prepaid and upset over not having visual voicemail and was considering going on cricket for the fact they offer visual voicemail.

There are GREAT ways to get the same EXACT cell phone service with ATT using Cricket or the same exact cell phone service with ATT, VERIZON, T Mobile or Sprint, using Red Pocket.

Cricket for those who are a little less techy. Meaning those who can not buy or unlock their own phones ect ... ect

Red Pocket for those who are a bit more adventurous and know how to buy an unlocked phone or unlock the phone they own, very simple stuff but some people do not care to bother.

- Cricket 3 lines unlimited data, voice, text, ATT service (5 gig high speed per line) 7Mbps service = $90.00 actual payment per month.

- Red Pocket 3 lines unlimited data, voice, text, ATT service (5 gig high speed per line) 14+ Mbps service $72.00 (+/- 50 cents) actual payment per month.

So that is the reason. ATT Cricket getting a little more "tricky" too, trying to get profits up, service down. BUT, BUT, CRICKET is still a GREAT DEAL. Red Pocket is a better deal, just not good for those who need hand holding.

Based on your comment about voicemail, You fall in the Cricket category.

Last edited:
We just had our iphone se's unlocked by MetroPCS (worst coverage ever).

We went to Cricket.

Some comments, $70 for two unlimited phones, first 5gb per line at LTE speeds, rest at 2g.

We don't use much data so we are fine with that.

Cricket throttles data always on LTE to 4MBPS, but I don't mind my apps work fine.

Also they only use ATT native towers, which has not been a problem yet, but you do not get roaming at all.

Also we needed facetime and many third tier providers do not support facetime or iphone MMS. Cricket does.

ATT is king in San Antonio so it has been much better coverage over Metro PCS.

Originally Posted by JustinH
We just had our iphone se's unlocked by MetroPCS (worst coverage ever).

We went to Cricket.

Some comments, $70 for two unlimited phones, first 5gb per line at LTE speeds, rest at 2g.
We don't use much data so we are fine with that.
Cricket throttles data always on LTE to 4MBPS, but I don't mind my apps work fine.
Also they only use ATT native towers, which has not been a problem yet, but you do not get roaming at all.
Also we needed facetime and many third tier providers do not support facetime or iphone MMS. Cricket does.
ATT is king in San Antonio so it has been much better coverage over Metro PCS.

Red Pocket you get a min of 400% faster download speeds for $20 less a month ($52 a month for 2 lines) and you can also tether.

With Cricket, you can get 100% faster download speeds but you chose the wrong plan, not your fault. well maybe it is, its in bold print right at the bottom of the webpage> ATT effort to drive up profits is ruining Cricket with tricky marketing BUT without question a great deal.
This is what you should choose and switch to, great thing about no contract, you can switch today and double your download speed to 8Mbps on Cricket at the same price.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back