Amsoil or RedLine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aleneros
Originally Posted by Pablo

Dear Pablo,

Quick question:

My car calls for VW502 00, OCI: 1 year / (15000KM)
Would it be OK to use Amsoil SS 5W-30?
PS: UOA is relatively high price in my country ( ~75~80 USD)

Many thanks.

David

What car? What year? How many miles?

It's a 2017 Skoda Kodiaq (26XXX KM so far).

(gasoline EA888 gen3b. 2.0L, Same as 2018 VW New Tiguan)

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05/20170523-tiguan.html

EFM 5W-40. You live in Taiwan.

In a stock LS 5.3 there is really no benefit to use Redline other than you used it. Amsoil SS would be best used for extended drains. If you can get the XL or OE products at a reasonable price there is no reason not to buy it.

There is no reason to use either one unless you just like wasting money.
Your engine won't know the difference between any certified oil.
Only the owner can tell the difference by how much it costs.
Some people sleep better after overspending by somehow convincing themselves that they are in need of a special blend.
And they like to brag to anyone who will listen about their choices .
Bottom line: use ST(example) and go 300k,use Amsoil or any boutique oil and go 300k.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Some people sleep better after overspending by somehow convincing themselves that they are in need of a special blend.
Bottom line: use ST(example) and go 300k,use Amsoil or any boutique oil and go 300k.

That assumes everyone wants to crawl under their car every 5-8K instead of doing extended OCI's, and that one only has to do so a couple times a year and not monthly like some of us if we were doing 5-8K OCI's.
Also don't forget the colder climates. Do you want to be doing an oil change in February at -20?
lol.gif

Last edited:

Just what we need! Walmart's Supertech Oil putting Exxon-Mobil, BP, Ashland, Conoco Philips and SOPUS out of the vehicle oil business.

What's next?....... Walmart Gas stations selling Supertech Fuel across all 48 continental states?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by Pablo
Dear Pablo,Quick question:My car calls for VW502 00, OCI: 1 year / (15000KM)Would it be OK to use Amsoil SS 5W-30? PS: UOA is relatively high price in my country ( ~75~80 USD)Many thanks. David
What car? What year? How many miles?
It's a 2017 Skoda Kodiaq (26XXX KM so far). (gasoline EA888 gen3b. 2.0L, Same as 2018 VW New Tiguan)https://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05/20170523-tiguan.html

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf
and pick the 0w-40 one, preferably. You could pick any one of them.
Amsoil SS 5w-30 has an HTHS that volkswagen says is too low. VW 502 says you need an HTHS 3.5 or greater.

Then go with Amsoil 0w-40, HTHS 3.76.

If you are simply looking at oil price, then you are almost correct. Traveller dino is available at Tractor Supply right now for $9.99 for a 5 quart jug...less than $2 per quart.

However as mentioned if you take into account the extended drains possible with Amsoil, then it can (depending on engine and driving habits) be less expensive to use than ST. I did a series of UOAs back around 10 years ago, with Amsoil, VWB, ST Syn and another oil, all at 5000 miles. I will see if I can dig it up and post it, but the UOAs showed that all oils were very close at that distance. The difference was in TBN....

UOAs:

Oils from Left to Right are:

..........................................................Amsoil 5w30, ..............ST Syn, ....VWB 5w30...M1 5w30, last 2 Amsoil 10w30
[Linked Image]

So it's easy to see that at 5k miles, these oils all did a great job. All could have gone further and in the case of M1, a lot further, and Amsoil 5w30 even a lot further than M1.

I think that any of the oils could have gone 7500 miles in that engine (2004 Jeep 4.0, mostly highway). M1 easily 10k+ and Amsoil more than 15k miles.

Last edited:
If you actually run 15k oci then I can see the added value.
Most folks I see here are not going that far though.
They are thinking that spending more equals more protection at any mileage.
It doesn't work that way.

If you actually run 15k oci then I can see the added value.
Most folks I see here are not going that far though.
They are thinking that spending more equals more protection at any mileage.
It doesn't work that way.

I think more than 10K miles is the pay off point. Also there could be some benefit or running a premium grade oil like Amsoil (or any other for that matter) over an economy oil in terms of engine cleanliness as example, over the long haul because of it's stout add-pack not built to a cost point like shelf oils. No doubt that today's Dexos 1 Gen 2 SN+ plus oils are leaps and bound over yester-years oils but this forum is about "the absolute best" and I think Amsoil shines here.

Now, before I get flamed for it. Whether the cost is worth that bit of difference in performance over a shelf oil in 10K mile or less applications is probably unlikely considering most vehicles do just fine with shelf-oils even for piles and piles of miles. In 10K mile or less OCI's in my opinion the gap between Amsoil and shelf oils has narrowed considerably versus a decade ago so it really becomes whether the added cost is worth it for marginal performance difference in lower OCI's

That said I'm awaiting my UOA on my run with Signature Series to compare to my father in-laws van. We determined with his van that fuel dilution was already too high at 6K miles so I'm changing strategies with his changes and will downgrade him to a more economy priced oil changed more frequently to limit the fuel dilution. Not that 2.7% isn't something the oil can cope with but it's not where I want it.

Now if mine comes back similarly with a longer run but all highway and premium fuel then I will follow suit and use an economy priced synthetic and change it more often as well.

I will most likely move us both to XL series and change it at the limit of a future UOA says for fuel dilution. This oil here is about (not exactly) the same price as a shelf-oil with my PC membership discount and PC Points and as I go through a ton of oil for myself with the miles I drive I might as well use my oil in my father in-laws van as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Just what we need! Walmart's Supertech Oil putting Exxon-Mobil, BP, Ashland, Conoco Philips and SOPUS out of the vehicle oil business.

What's next?....... Walmart Gas stations selling Supertech Fuel across all 48 continental states?

Talk about hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back