Headlights 1999 Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the headlights on a ‘99 Camry stay on all the time while the car is running? I was in front of a friend's Camry today driving through town and as we talked on the phone he could not turn his head lights off. He said there was an "off" posiotion butt the headlights stayed on even sfter he switched the switch to off. Is this a priblem?

I would bet that car is equipped with Daytime Running Lights (DRL). When the car is started, the headlamps will come on at about 20% power. When you actually turn the headlights on, they jump to 100% power.

Mine are automatic and come on at night time, full brightness. Once it's dark out I can't turn them off regardless of the setting I turn it to.

If they're on in the daytime the sensor on the passenger side of the dash by the windshield might be bad?

Originally Posted by georgemiller
Have two 2001 Camry's headlights stay on all the time. Doesn't appear they dim down during the daytime.

Daytime running lights were made law in Canada many years ago and I believe were getting adopted in the USA. Automatic headlights simply come on to 100% brightness when it gets dark. It's also possible that your light sensors are malfunctioning because the failsafe mode is to stay on at 100% brightness all the time. However I don't know if they over ride the off switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back