Servicing a CVT on a 2017 Nissan Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

A friend of mine has a 2017 Maxima that just rolled 50k. He asked about doing a fluid change at the dealer while getting an oil change done and they refused. Told him the usual "life time fluid" doesn't ever need to be changed crap that everyone has heard before. He said the manual states 60k changes. They wanted no part of it.

He called me to ask what I thought and I told him if it were my car I'd change it. He puts a lot of miles on vehicles very quickly and clean fluid certainly won't hurt.

He asked if it's something he can do in his driveway. I found videos where people have made their own dipsticks, or just simply measured out what came out and that's what you put back in.

I was thinking if we jacked the car up evenly. Let it cool overnight and drained the oil cold, measured it, and put the oil fact same amount back in, assuming there are no leaks wouldn't the oil level be correct?

Or am I asking for trouble doing it like this?

Make sure you leave the new oil in the car so that both oils will be at the same temperature. I don't see any problems assuming that the original fill was correct and I don't see any reason not to think that.

Last edited:
I'd find another dealership willing to do it and take it there that way if anything goes wrong with the CVT it's them that did it. I wouldn't be messing around with one that is still under warranty.
Either have them change it or leave it untouched until the warranty is over.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just set the oil outside so it would be the exact temperature as what comes out. If anything more might come out this way after it settles overnight.

I'll ask him to call another dealer and see what they say. There's only about 9,000 miles of warranty left anyway.

Measuring drained fluid is a start. Use factory procedure or...
I service a friend's 2015 Altima. I bought a 2013(?) dipstick and use it.

The trans pulls stronger and smoother. About 115K miles now...

I agree with finding another dealer to do it.

Your assumption about the same amount in as out, assumes not only no leaks but no usage in 50k miles. Technically for CVT to be changed on Nissan with no dipstick now, some method of reading CVT fluid temp required. Having a scanner is the preferable way, though I've seen an infrared thermometer reading used on sump compared to scanner, very close.

If you're interested the link shows how to check CVT level in Nissan with no dipstick. This could be checking after a CVT fluid change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTXM5SbznEM

I believe Nissan has a test for the fluid to see when it needs to be changed.

I've read something about the computer needing reset when the fluid is changed, which I guess only a good scan tool will be able to do. Or the dealer.

Thanks for the link. I saw that when I was looking all over YouTube before posting here to see what info I could find.

I texted my friend and told him to call a couple more dealers on his lunch break and see what they say. At least he can buy the NS-3 fluid online and take it in and just pay labor.

I had no idea that a CVT could consume fluid, other than a leak. He said the underneath of the car is bone dry the last time he was under it.

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:
That sounds like the right procedure
smile.gif

Valvoline and Castrol make good CVT fluid at a fair price. The parts stores put Castrol CVT on sale a few times a year for $5/qt. If you need it when it's not on sale, Amazon has the case of 6 for $35.

Originally Posted by TTK

What kind of test, a dipstick "look see," or a full chemical analysis?
smile.gif

I can only tell you the experience I had with my local dealer with when I bought the 2012 Frontier with 30k on it.

The dealer said the engine oil was changed but the ATF was examined and it was fine and didn't change it.

I brought it home, took a sample, and changed it. The ATF oil was totally black and opaque, had the viscosity of a 5W30 engine oil, and the analysis showed high levels of particulate matter.

It took six drain and refills to clean it up.

The Bottom Line: Dealer's don't always tell the whole story nor do they have the expertise to analyse anything.

Last edited:
ditto on that Mola as $$$$ is their only concern. when i did girlfriends 08 jetta 6 spd tiptronic it was 70 degrees ambient + my Ross-Tech software confirmed the correct temp, so for VW's anyhow just do the fluid at 70 ambient. as i note many times lifetime is until warranty is gone + its your $$$

We have 180k miles on our 2010 Altima 2.5S. I've done two pan drops and fills. Like others said, I got 5 quarts out when I dropped the pan and put that same 5 quarts back in.

Probably should have done another as the first was at about 120k miles, early summer of 2016. I just did the second a few months back in late 2018.

Fluid didn't smell burnt. It was black as one would expect. Replaced the filter and pan gasket. Should be good to go until about 230-240k miles.

Takes about an hour. Hardest part is getting the gasket to line up with 17 or 18 bolt holes to keep aligned.

I would imagine the Maxima is easier, especially if it has a drain plug. The CVT used on the 4 cylinder Altima doesn't, so the pan comes off to do a drain and fill.

I believe the Nissan procedure is to ask the computer to tell how much the fluid is degraded. I believe that's what the Nissan service manual indicates. If the fluid calculated fluid degradation variable reaches a certain value, the fluid should be replaced.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by TTK

What kind of test, a dipstick "look see," or a full chemical analysis?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 2013ecof150
A friend of mine has a 2017 Maxima that just rolled 50k. He asked about doing a fluid change at the dealer while getting an oil change done and they refused. Told him the usual "life time fluid" doesn't ever need to be changed crap that everyone has heard before. He said the manual states 60k changes. They wanted no part of it.

'17 Maxima Owners Manual says to Inspect fluid every 70k miles, which I guess is checking for leaks, although look for leaks more often, I'd think..... Then the Owners Manual has a note about Severe Service, if it applies here: " If towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier or driving on rough or muddy roads, inspect CVT fluid deterioration at NISSAN
dealers every 60,000 miles (96,000 km), then change CVT fluid if necessary. And if the inspection is not performed, change (not just inspect)
CVT fluid every 60,000 miles (96,000 km)." -- again, that is for Severe Service. If you're not heating this thing up via towing or racing, then I think Nissan's recomendation to leave it alone is fine. Still, I'd change it every 100k miles myself. ---
https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten...Maxima/2017/2017-Maxima-owner-manual.pdf

I'm wondering if the on board computer keeps track of peak temperature excursions and triggers a signal to change fluid (the degradation factor somebody mentoned above). Similar to what an OLM does when it sees very high temperatures, at least on GM engines it will trigger the oil change light if temperature spikes happen.

Just a small update. He called another dealer and while they said "it's not necessary" to change the fluid they would change it if he insisted. 2 hrs of labor plus the cost of fluid somewhere just north of 300 dollars. The labor quote seems high but maybe for them just to plug in ( to check the temp) and the actual labor to drain and fill.

Me personally I'd just let the dealer handle it.

He seems pretty set on doing it himself. I sent him the link on how to adjust the level using the scan tool. I figure we can drain, measure and refill. Then use an IR gun and shoot the pan for like 105° and pull the level plug and adjust from there.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Originally Posted by 2013ecof150
….Me personally I'd just let the dealer handle it.....
In this case and at the stated miles on a 2017, I'd likely bite the cost bullet and do the same. Just north of $300 sounds not cheap, but considering using the expensive NS3 CVT fluid, using a lift and checking for correct fluid level, if done "right", it is what it is. Speculating, probably similar price or more at other dealers.

Below, another link to video showing CVT fluid change and level check done with an IR thermometer. One thing to keep in mind, Pathfinder in yt has a much higher ground clearance than a Maxima and procedure best done on level. So likely all four wheels will need to be off the ground on Maxima.

As for dealer fluid test of CVT to determine if change required, I'm unaware of such. And in this case I would use Nissan NS3 fluid. Next time around at same added interval miles and well out of warranty I would consider either Castrol or Valvoline CVT fluid options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIAyJzDeT3o

There is an app that you can download from the Play Store that will enable you to read the transmission temperature on your phone.
CVTz50. Just a word of caution, you need an ELM327 adaptor and versions 2.0 and above will not work, You have to use version 1.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back