Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Zee09

MSRP from $40k to $45k

Tough sell with the F150

Correct... the F150 is so much more capable, ESPECIALLY at this price point.

A new Ranger SHOULD be $25,000 - $30,000

FWIW, pretty much all the "small" trucks are in the same boat right now.

The issue, if you ask me, is that they're not small trucks anymore and so you gain virtually nothing in economy or price over a full size pickup.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
FWIW, pretty much all the "small" trucks are in the same boat right now.

The issue, if you ask me, is that they're not small trucks anymore and so you gain virtually nothing in economy or price over a full size pickup.

I always went with mid trim F250-F350's over a F150 for the same reason..
F150's were near the same price and hot sellers.

Originally Posted by Linctex

MSRP from $40k to $45k

Tough sell with the F150

Huh? MSRP on a 2019 Ranger starts at $24,300, so they are widely available for $25,000 - $30,000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365

MSRP from $40k to $45k

Tough sell with the F150

Huh? MSRP on a 2019 Ranger starts at $24,300, so they are widely available for $25,000 - $30,000.

Problem with that is twofold. First, those are strippers and you won't find many, if any, on dealer lots. Those are going to be the fleet trucks and the ones dealers will stock are all going to be the 35K+ models.

Second, the F-150 starts at 28k. Sure, it's 4 grand more, but if you figure that over a 5 year car loan, the F-150 is only 66 more a month and even the base F-150 is far more capable than the Ranger.

Last edited:

MSRP from $40k to $45k

Tough sell with the F150

Maybe without a touchscreen and and with an icky manual trans so you can't text and drive.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

MSRP from $40k to $45k

Tough sell with the F150

Maybe without a touchscreen and and with an icky manual trans so you can't text and drive.

There is no manual. It's 10-speed auto only.

Source: Ford.com

Last edited:

Problem with that is twofold. First, those are strippers and you won't find many, if any, on dealer lots. Those are going to be the fleet trucks and the ones dealers will stock are all going to be the 35K+ models.

Second, the F-150 starts at 28k. Sure, it's 4 grand more, but if you figure that over a 5 year car loan, the F-150 is only 66 more a month and even the base F-150 is far more capable than the Ranger.

You're not going to find many $28k F150s on the lot either. Those that you will find will be strippers that few will want....

MSRP from $40k to $45k

Tough sell with the F150

You can order any model you want.

With Ranger production just getting ramped up and most dealers having only 5 or 10 of them, discounts will be scarce and puny. As soon as each dealer has 50 -100 on the lots things will change. Basing this on the sales experience of new Thunderbird in 2002 and what happened after it cooled off, and the PT Cruiser is another example. There are many more examples of this of course, but the sales for the moment are those "bought the first one in the neighborhood " mentality, cost be darned.
The auto writers passion has already cooled off some now that they've gotten more Rangers in their hands for more tests. Me? I'm gonna wait and see how these things shake out because as was already mentioned, $38 grand will get you a real nice heavily discounted F150 .

Sold a used Tacoma today for the same price they can get a nice Ram 1500 Crewcab, same MY.
There is a (goo) market for the mid-sized trucks, even if the value equation isn't there for some of us vs. full sized

Yes agreed. The intro price is always stout.
The suspension isn't dialed in right yet and it needs a serious tweaking in my mind.
You have to wonder what effect the pricing will have on the F150's.... ( long term)

anything totally new WILL have issues, my local mechanic commented today theres already a recall, although he hid not elaborate. like the new jeeps with issues YOU will be the beta tester + if yo have another ride or get loaners for warranty work its a minor inconvenience. if buying new midsize the proven simpler, no DI Nissan Frontier would be my choice + a lot cheaper for sure with comparable equipment.

Originally Posted by Danno
Sold a used Tacoma today for the same price they can get a nice Ram 1500 Crewcab, same MY.
There is a (goo) market for the mid-sized trucks, even if the value equation isn't there for some of us vs. full sized

This.

People will buy them, no doubt. To most of us, the value might not be there considering the capability of an F150 at a comparable price. For the majority of buyers who drive them to the grocery store every day, the Ranger will fit the bill and also be easier to park.

MSRP from $40k to $45k
Dealer is giving $2500. Off

crackmeup2.gif
Good luck selling these. They need to add a 0 to the end of the $2500.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back