Slippery floor mats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I have looked online and im not finding exactly what I want. I have some Rugged Ridge floor mats and they are super slick. They look good and hold dirt/water in place but they are slippery. Even when dry and in summer!

I was wondering if anyone had a plastic spray that would adhere and add some grip to the top of my floor mats? I would prefer it in black.

If anyone has any suggestions please fire away!

What have you been cleaning them with?

I made the mistake, way back when, of cleaning my mats with interior detailer. They were like ice!

Sadly nothing! They came from the factory like they. They are deep to hold dirt and debris in but very slippery! They are more of a hard plastic and I think that is where it is getting its characteristics from. When I clean them I usually just use some dawn and water to get off all grease and oil so they aren't as slippery!

Man, I would try a high concentration of dish soap or dish washer soap to clean them . Who knows, maybe even laundry soap or some brake cleaner. You want to strip off the smooth finish that they have. And don't use any int/ext product on them.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Man, I would try a high concentration of dish soap or dish washer soap to clean them . Who knows, maybe even laundry soap or some brake cleaner. You want to strip off the smooth finish that they have. And don't use any int/ext product on them.

Nope no int/ext products were used. Out of the box they were slippery enough lol. I just want a very tacky spray to coat them with so I can add some traction. I have stuff fly all over the back of my cab while im driving and the Fiancee slipped. So that right there is more than enough to look for a fix lol

Originally Posted by Env1ous

Nope no int/ext products were used. Out of the box they were slippery enough lol. I just want a very tacky spray to coat them with so I can add some traction. I have stuff fly all over the back of my cab while im driving and the Fiancee slipped. So that right there is more than enough to look for a fix lol

What he's recommending is stripping off the preservative or whatever slippery layer resulted from manufacture. In other words, you may need to clean the liners well BEFORE you consider adding something to rough the surface up.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Env1ous

What he's recommending is stripping off the preservative or whatever slippery layer resulted from manufacture. In other words, you may need to clean the liners well BEFORE you consider adding something to rough the surface up.

Oh my bad. I do not have anything on them right now. I had them out in the lawn and put dawn on them let it soak after I scrubbed it with a brush. No coatings on them. But yes I was going to clean them before I applied any coating. Maybe even applied some adhesion promoter.

I have Husky rubber mats for 17 yrs now in the Camry
..they wear like iron and are not slippery at all.

If you don't mind messing with the finish, you could take an abrasive sponge to it to rough up the surface a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back