Amsoil 10w-30 HDD CK-4 - Is this a Group VI/V synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading up on their materials lately, and it piqued my interest to find out if their Heavy Duty Diesel 10w-30 (code ADN) is a higher end synthetic just like their Signature series HDEOs. Based on my research here their SS oils are Pao/Ester based, correct? So is their HDD oils of similar caliber?

One thing to note of is this oil lacks the API-SN certification compared to their SS HDEOs, which has the API-SN cerfitication. That probably means that it has a stronger add pack, nothing indicating about its formulation though.

Any insider here that could shed some light on this?

Last edited:
Who knows? Not much transparency in the oil industry and Amsoil is worst than most imo. They among others have some pretty shady sales tactics when wording information about their products. I remember in the late 1970's the store where I worked discontinued their relationship as an Amsoil retailer. I acquired this nifty counter display that compared Amsoil gear oils with standard gear oils. It had two cranks you could spin and contrast and compare the oils side by side through its clear case. My delinquent co-workers and I broke this device open on the loading dock. The Amsoil side smelled like baby oil. The non Amsoil side I swear was black strap molasses. If they were cheating back then I figure they never stopped. But who knows?

ditto on the above, earlier they touted PAO + now only made to a spec is all you get. save your money for a more open oil brand.

Originally Posted by leoblack9
Is this a Group VI/V synthetic oil?
Definitely not group VI.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sloinker
Who knows? Not much transparency in the oil industry and Amsoil is worst than most imo. They among others have some pretty shady sales tactics when wording information about their products. I remember in the late 1970's the store where I worked discontinued their relationship as an Amsoil retailer. I acquired this nifty counter display that compared Amsoil gear oils with standard gear oils. It had two cranks you could spin and contrast and compare the oils side by side through its clear case. My delinquent co-workers and I broke this device open on the loading dock. The Amsoil side smelled like baby oil. The non Amsoil side I swear was black strap molasses. If they were cheating back then I figure they never stopped. But who knows?

Amsoil never had such a thing. And certainly not in the late 70's. Pretty sure your memory is incorrect.

TO OP, yes HDD Group 4 and 5.

As has been stated many times by I believe molakule, that's proprietary information and no company is going to give away their secret krabby patty recipe. We can speculate on any oil all we want but unless someone spends a hefty chunk of $$$ we won't ever know for sure, a good example of an oil that is most likely comprised of PAO base stock is the 10w3/SAE 30 amsoil because it contains zero VII. Amsoil works I've never had an issue with it so I wouldn't stress as much about what it's base oil is comprised of.

Originally Posted by Pablo
Originally Posted by sloinker

Amsoil never had such a thing. And certainly not in the late 70's. Pretty sure your memory is incorrect.

Similar to the Lucas demonstrator seen nowadays but I don't think Lucas was around California in 1978. More than 40 years ago so it's possible my memory may have altered some but that is what I remember.

I've been reading up on their materials lately, and it piqued my interest to find out if their Heavy Duty Diesel 10w-30 (code ADN) is a higher end synthetic just like their Signature series HDEOs. Based on my research here their SS oils are Pao/Ester based, correct? So is their HDD oils of similar caliber?

One thing to note of is this oil lacks the API-SN certification compared to their SS HDEOs, which has the API-SN cerfitication. That probably means that it has a stronger add pack, nothing indicating about its formulation though.

Any insider here that could shed some light on this?

Yes, Amsoil SS HDEO 5w40 has both PAO and a small amount of ester. About 1/4 the amount of ester as redline for example, and less ester than M1 0w40 as another example. This is based on the oxidation values of my UOAs.

I don't know about their HDD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Is this a Group VI/V synthetic oil?
Definitely not group VI.
smile.gif

Crikey, I meant to say Group IV. You got me there.
Originally Posted by Pablo
Thanks, i'd take it that you're an amsoil dealer so you have direct info from Amsoil, correct?
Originally Posted by claluja
Yes, Amsoil SS HDEO 5w40 has both PAO and a small amount of ester. About 1/4 the amount of ester as redline for example, and less ester than M1 0w40 as another example. This is based on the oxidation values of my UOAs.

I don't know about their HDD.
How do you think the Ester levels affect the UOAs? Higher resistance to oxidation? More Ester = Higher base viscosity index?

What chemically differentiates the 10w30 ADN from say, the 10w30/30 ACD or the 5w30 HDD for that matter, aside from the CI4+ vs CK4 label?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back