Odyssey Battery drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
'07 Honda Odyssey, 140K-ish miles. The battery shows a .9 to 1A draw all the time, and none of the fuses can be removed to drop it blow .5A draw. Unplugging the ECM brings it down to .25A. After reconnecting the battery or shutting the car off there's a random clicking from the area of the engine compartment fuse panel - seems to be coming from under the black cover next to the fuse block, sounding similar to a telegraph clicking.

Any insight?

The clicking sound you are describing sounds like a relay. Do you have an aftermarket alarm system or remote start installed?

The a/c clutch relays are known to stick on these, pull that and check the draw (in the under hood fusebox) if it drops just replace the relay

Originally Posted by jsfalls
The a/c clutch relays are known to stick on these, pull that and check the draw (in the under hood fusebox) if it drops just replace the relay

Yeah my cousin had this happen on his 05. It's a stupid design in that it's powered always vs only with the key on, but here we are.

An A/C clutch uses 3 or 4 amps.

If it doesn't stop with any fuse it could be the alternator.

In addition to the A/C relay, check the Bluetooth "Hands free link" module. They're EXTREMELY common on that generation Honda/Acura, and will almost guarantee a .5-.75A draw. It's mounted low in the dash, behind either the DVD player or the cubby hole near the floor.

Also, make sure you wait at least 10 min before drawing any conclusions. The CAN bus network on these cars takes 10 min to go to sleep (assuming no other devices are causing it to stay awake).

Cool, I'll check those things out. I already unhooked the alternator with no change, and the clicking seems to slow down after a few minutes but I'm not sure if it quits completely before the battery is dead.

Test with a good, fully charged battery. Lots of weird stuff will happen as the battery runs down from nearly dead.

I may be wrong , but will a clamp on amp meter indicate when current flow reverses ? Charge vs. discharge ?

Install a battery disconnect , at least untill you get this figured out .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back