Dealer Used Wrong Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, 10.91 is still a high side 5w30. This didn't cause your 51 ppm issue. It's break in wear. What you have is new owner anxiety. You really shouldn't be running a UOA on the first couple of changes. Just my two cents and not worth arguing about.

Was there confusion on your invoice? You bet. Did you wreck your engine? No.

smile.gif

Last edited:
People make mistakes, it happens. Dealers often say one thing and do another, take your pick. Going forward I'd either do the work myself or have someone I trust do it. I would ask for a refund and not take them up on their offer for a free oil change. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, I doubt you did much if any harm at all.

The other thing to remember is don't baby the engine. "Drive it like you stole it" as some would say. The Ecodiesel like to run good and hot. The harder you drive it, the fewer regens you'll have to endure. I know this because I have a 2016 Jeep GC Ecodiesel and I have over 22k trouble free miles over 3 years of ownership...

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
This is what it "appears" they used according to your invoice. Never take word-of-mouth from anyone at a dealer. If it's not explicitly in print on your receipt, it DID NOT happen.

Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40

Phos and zinc look to low to be VPB. My uoa are all above 1000 on that oil

Wondering if the dealer service technician actually bought himself cheap SN bulk oil for gasoline engines, then swapped his cheap stuff for the purchased expensive 5w-40 for his own truck. Its a trick as old as the Model T. Another similar trick they use is to put back in 1 quart of dirty used oil and take home the purchased 1 quart of new oil. Stealing.

Originally Posted by CT8
The viscosity seems on the thick side for a gas 5W-30 oil.
No, that is right in the middle of the "30" j300 range.
Originally Posted by claluja
Can't rely on viscosity, because fuel dilution could have lowered it (and cant tell for sure if any fuel dilutuon, because you used Blackstone which doesn"t actually measure fuel dilution).
But the flashpoint was above 400F, so not much fuel in there. And oxidation would raise it some too, especially using an SN bulk gasoline engine oil in there.

However, as overkill said above, doesn't look like T6 5w40 because of the low P and Zn values. T6 generally has over 1000 ppm Zn, and most of time over 1000 ppm P.
Also calcium (& Mg too) was low, probably at the level you find in a bulk SN gasoline oil for sure. True this wasn't T6, or Valvoline Premium Blue either.

Your iron count is not unusual for a new vehicle. Wouldn't worry about that at this point.
Agreed, while 51 ppm is a bit high, no huge problem here. Piston Deposits are likely flaring up some though.

The stealership should pay for a couple of jugs of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 which would clean the rings on this. Cummins uses it sometimes on big rigs.

What is this oil? Signature is: Low moly. Normal SN-levels of ZDDP. Some boron, not a lot. If I had to guess, I'd say a bulk Service Pro or some commodity SN lke that. I don't know.
Almost all the synthetics have around 40-90 ppm of moly, so not synthetic I'd say.

Regarding the range of Kv100 for 5w30 oils, the range is 9.3 to 12.5 Cst. However, a while back in a posting we were looking for high side Kv100's and could only find one greater than 12 in a 5w30. That was Penzoil Euro L. So 12 is rare and the other high ones were up to about 11.9.

Effectively 10.9 can be considered a higher than average Kv100 for a 5w30 that is actually available. Not trying to split hairs, just trying to say there are 5w30's down at 9.3 Cst and some up at 10.9.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The dealer changed my oil with Rotella T6 5-40w yesterday. He said the oil that was in there was Pennzoil Ultra 5-30w synthetic oil and it is low ash and would not have done any damage.

Dealers use the cheapest oil they can buy in bulk through their account. Toyota dealers don't even use the factory spec'd weight of differential oil because only Toyota and Redline make it in that weight (75W-85) and it's pricey...so they use the next closest weight (75W-90).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The iron, while high, is not unusual for an engine this young. Viscosity is indeed low, flashpoint is still reasonably high and zinc/phos levels don't look like T6, as here is a T6 VOA from this board:
[Linked Image]

I'd be pretty PO'd like I assume you are. I'd perhaps supply my own oil going forward and watch the change if possible so you know the right stuff ended up in the sump.

Is that CK-4 or would it make a difference?

Originally Posted by CT8
The viscosity seems on the thick side for a gas 5W-30 oil.

It's certainly no E6 lube that I've ever seen, either, though. A C3, perhaps, if not an ILSAC?

Originally Posted by Jaybird97
The dealer changed my oil with Rotella T6 5-40w yesterday. He said the oil that was in there was Pennzoil Ultra 5-30w synthetic oil and it is low ash and would not have done any damage.
The dealer lied to you. .......... If they even sell Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 at all, probably not one they would even stock, your oil had very low moly, which means it's not Ultra, which as 70 ppm moly.
Say the dealer misspoke and meant it was the Mopar SRT Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 they put in. That also can't be, especially because that SRT oil has 275 ppm moly.

Wait, does your dealership actually have (stock) Pennzoil Euro L 5w30? Is that what he meant?
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4514082/Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_L_5W30_
The VOA there basically matches your UOA.
That is a low-saps (or is it mid-saps?) oil there. I could see how using that would be fine, as its a high HTHS oil, important in that engine.
What would a dealer be doing stocking that stuff? I guess its possible. MOPAR oil doesn't do it for them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
Would the Penzoil Euro L 5w-30 have been a service fill for the EcoDiesel at one point? That would be a reason it could be plausibly in stock at a Chrysler dealer.

Yes, I believe it was the fill before they switched to Rotella.

Not trying to get into a thickie war, just trying to make the OP not worry about his engine. Consider the Macho 6.7 Powerstoke Turbo diesel in the 2018 Ford F-350. The owners manual calls for 10w30 for normal driving and 5w40 for severe service. This in a 935 lb ft torque engine in a truck with a hitch tow capacity of 21,000 lbs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back