Dealer Used Wrong Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new RAM Ecodiesel in 12/17 and took it in for its first oil change at about 6,800 miles to the RAM dealer. I asked specifically that they use Rotella T6 5-40w oil and that is what they said they use and what they billed me for. I now have put another 6,300 miles on that oil and decided to have it tested by Blackstone Labs. The Blackstone test report said that the oil was 5-30 weight and didn't have the characteristics of Rotella. It also said I had high iron in the sample. This really bothers me because I drove the truck pulling a trailer in the mountains for many of those miles and I've put 6,300 miles on 5-30w oil which is probably rated for gasoline engines. I checked the Blackstone viscosity and flashpoint results to Pennzoil 5-30w oils and it was a close match to their base oil, not their synthetic. I called the dealer and they said they would do a free oil change but I think I'm entitled to more. Do you think I've done any long-term damage to my engine?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Friend, we all make mistakes, but this is one reason i prefer to service our own vehicles.
With a little luck you should be good. Good luck.

How frustrating. I wouldn't be taking my vehicle back to that dealer I can assure you. It's a shame you can't trust dealers. It could have been an honest mistake, but in the end your the one that gets the shaft. This is why I service our vehicles whenever I can.

The iron, while high, is not unusual for an engine this young. Viscosity is indeed low, flashpoint is still reasonably high and zinc/phos levels don't look like T6, as here is a T6 VOA from this board:
[Linked Image]

I'd be pretty PO'd like I assume you are. I'd perhaps supply my own oil going forward and watch the change if possible so you know the right stuff ended up in the sump.

Welcome to the forum.

So besides charging you $42.80 for an oil filter, they were supposed to use Rotella 5w-40? But I see they list Cummins Premium Blue oil, and below that they list 10 quarts but only charge $7.70. Looks like the service writer was on drugs that day.

I'd expect a full refund of your service that day. Then find a dealer that knows diesels. I wouldn't fret about the high iron reading.

That's actually not a bad price for an oem filter, they billed me for 10 qts Rotella T6 5-40w @ 7.70/qt = 77.70
[Linked Image]

Can't rely on viscosity, because fuel dilution could have lowered it (and cant tell for sure if any fuel dilutuon, because you used Blackstone which doesn"t actually measure fuel dilution).

However, as overkill said above, doesn't look like T6 5w40 because of the low P and Zn values. T6 generally has over 1000 ppm Zn, and most of time over 1000 ppm P.

Your iron count is not unusual for a new vehicle. Wouldn't worry about that at this point.

Last edited:
The one dealership oil change (was free as part of my purchase) I ever got on my first Eco-Boost F150, they put 5w-20 bulk VWB in it. I didn't notice for a few weeks and when I did and called them, they said it would be fine but if you want to come in they'd fix it. I just drained it and put the correct oil in it as going back to the dealer wasn't worth my time.

Originally Posted by Onetor
It's what you can prove. Yes, I agree with you. But, it's the Stealer....Good luck
Pretty much what it is. Even thou you have proof in your iron numbers, Blackstone pretty much blew a hole in that one. Now you have to really prove that the high iron numbers is because of wear from the wrong oil and not the break in. Good luck proving that one.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Seems like you should make your own changes, my friend. Because of error like this, I try to do it myself.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yet another reason to change your own oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back