Future date stickers on Wal-Mart batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Wal-Mart today and Everstart MAXX 35 batteries...it's Feb 24th, and the batteries have 3/19 date stickers. I had previously believed these were the month/year the batteries were manufactured, but evidently not.

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

There should be some other kind of date code on the battery that shows manufacturing date.

I believe this was discussed before. Around mid-month of manufacture, the date stamps change to the next month, so the consumer does not get shorted one month or partial month.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
I believe this was discussed before. Around mid-month of manufacture, the date stamps change to the next month, so the consumer does not get shorted one month or partial month.

That makes sense
thumbsup2.gif

I had read the same. So long as it is carried over from month to month at the same time, not a huge deal
15 days will not make that big a difference.
I mean think about it, if it has 3/19 (and they did not do the mid month changeover) was it 3/1/19 or 3/31/19?

More important is what is the serial number start with? It looks like it is EP, so even if the sticker was 4 months old, being an East Penn/DEKA battery negates that IMO.
Johnson Control are OK, but I read some are moving to Exide (serial number starts with EX???).

Also discussed here is that Walmart receives their batteries "dry" and they add the water and/or sulfuric acid in the stores. This makes the batteries even "fresher" this way. Personally, from a safety standpoint I find this questionable.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Also discussed here is that Walmart receives their batteries "dry" and they add the water and/or sulfuric acid in the stores. This makes the batteries even "fresher" this way. Personally, from a safety standpoint I find this questionable.

I would have a really hard time believing that is true.

Every other auto parts store in this country receives auto batteries already filled, why would Walmart be different and fill them in the store???

Originally Posted by Linctex

Every other auto parts store in this country receives auto batteries already filled, why would Walmart be different and fill them in the store???

I cannot believe that for general car batteries. There are some special purpose batteries shipped dry. Maybe motorcycle.

Last edited:
Also discussed here is that Walmart receives their batteries "dry" and they add the water and/or sulfuric acid in the stores.

No, they come to the store ready to use. I was there once and saw a battery delivery. They unloaded 2 or 3 pallets of batteries off of a Ruan truck. Some of those went straight to the rack inside. I do know that Walmart sells some 'dry' batteries, but they are slow sellers, like for an ATV. Even then, the customer is responsible for filling the battery and charging it.

Originally Posted by crainholio
At Wal-Mart today and Everstart MAXX 35 batteries...it's Feb 24th, and the batteries have 3/19 date stickers. I had previously believed these were the month/year the batteries were manufactured, but evidently not.

The serial number starts with an EP. I can see it in your picture. It's an Easy Penn battery. They change to the next month around the middle of the month.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by crainholio

The serial number starts with an EP. I can see it in your picture. It's an Easy Penn battery. They change to the next month around the middle of the month.

This makes sense, thanks. I grabbed one for our '09 Subaru Forester, put it on the auto-charger when I got home and showed 89%. Ran it up to 100% before installing and connecting. All is right in the world.

The way Walmarts system works is based on when the battery is purchased. Every battery has a specific serial number. A battery purchased on 2-24-19 is entered into the system as feb 2019. A battery purchased on 2-1-2019 is entered into the system as feb 2019. Meaning to get the MOST out of the warranty is to buy it the very first day of the month.

I bought an Exide at HD recently. It had a manufactured and an on the shelf date on it. Then youre supposed to remove certain parts of the label to define the in-service date.

Id suspect that WM puts an on the shelf date on theirs, which notionally is close to the manufacture date. Id also suspect that theyre fully charged before delivery, and self discharge shouldnt be that rapid...

Probably when they get past some point in the month, they move to the next. So long as theyre consistent...

Originally Posted by Linctex

Not suggesting whatsoever that I believe this, in fact, I am skeptical that this is true - just repeating what others have said here.

Why would Walmart do it ? Cost is one reason. The manufacturer could charge less for them in this condition. Shipping is another reason. If they are 'dry', a) they weigh less. Scale this up to pallets full of batteries and truckloads full of batteries for weight-savings. Also, once a battery is 'activated', would it be considered hazardous material whereas in its dry state, it's not ?

my yuasa motorcycle battery was shipped dry + i activated it with included vials of sulfuric + charged per instructions. this is actually best + i read where some auto parts stores do this. but their bulk sulfuric acid is not for sale + only for their use. dry batteries never age until activated unlike sealed batteries activated when produced + age from then!

......... Shipping is another reason. If they are 'dry', a) they weigh less. Scale this up to pallets full of batteries and truckloads full of batteries for weight-savings. Also, once a battery is 'activated', would it be considered hazardous material whereas in its dry state, it's not ?

Why would they weigh less? Every dry charged battery I've ever seen in the last 40+ years was shipped in a carton containing the acid in a separate container alongside it. And that includes automotive, marine, ATV, motorcycle, and PWC batteries.

And acid is acid. It's considered hazardous material regardless of how or what it's shipped in or with. I would bet anything Wal-Mart receives their batteries like all the other chain auto parts stores do.... Filled and charged. They're cheaper for the same reason everything is cheaper at Wal-Mart.... Massive volume buying the other stores cannot match.

I remember buying motorcycle batteries shipped dry, for the consumer to fill. I personally liked this - there was no question of the battery not being fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back