What should I do with my carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'96 Suzuki Quad Runner ATV

The last carb rebuild I busted off one of the float bowl casted brackets, so I used at the time JB weld. The carb is acting up, and I'm guessing the JB weld has failed from the gas.

So I can buy a whole new carb for 500, I could buy a new universal carb for 150-200, Or I can tear down the carb and have the cast aluminum float bracket tack welded at a shop.

What is my best choice here? I have no ideal how much a shop would charge to tig weld the piece back on. I really don't want a universal carb, dealing with setting it up, and the OEM carb is too rich for my blood.

You don't state which CC it is

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Search eBay for a replacement carb. It might need a rebuild kit, but that would still be cheaper.

Yep.
You may not get an EXACT copy, but you'll find something really close that will work for about $50 or so.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I would get the factory carb part number and run that through eBay.

Most seller won't know that.

They will sell by: "Make, Model and CC's" pretty much only.

Buy a core, needing rebuild and transfer the needed parts to your good carb. A core shouldn't cost much and you will keep the original one that fits and works

Go to tractor supply or harbor freight and buy those aluminum brazing rods. Should work fine in this application.

If it's one of the CV style carbs with the diaphram operated throttle slide you might be better off just replacing it with a flat slide style carb. Easier to tune and more reliable.

Originally Posted by ironman_gq
If it's one of the CV style carbs with the diaphram operated throttle slide you might be better off just replacing it with a flat slide style carb. Easier to tune and more reliable.

Yes it is! Good ideal! I've had trouble with this carb in the past as well.

250 cc 4 stroke.

Go to tractor supply or harbor freight and buy those aluminum brazing rods. Should work fine in this application.

Oh yeah those repair rods, forgot about those, but yeah it is pot metal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back