2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 - 7,018 miles on oil - Mobil1 5w30 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bet with a guy at work that Pennzoil Platinum will have lower wear metals than Mobil1. I'm doing this test on two cars. This is also my first UOA on this vehicle. When I took this sample, I was changing the oil and I am now using Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 5w30 for consistency. Both changes also have one 300mL can of LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver and MoS2. These numbers are low enough that I don't see Pennzoil being lower. I've got $30 on the Pennzoil being better but we will see.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
That's not the purpose of UOA's, so this is an entirely pointless endeavour. They lack the resolution and repeatability to be used in this manner.

It is going to get my point across that his belief that Pennzoil makes a terrible oil and my engine will be toast by the time I change the oil is verifiably not true.

If using a High Mileage motor oil, putting in Motor Oil Saver might swell the seals too much, a double dose of seal conditioners here. Certainly not needed anyway.
I'm suprised the Mobil1 has high calcium like that. I know the High Mileage version isn't dexos1, yet, still, you'd think Mobil would just make this addtive package the same as silver-bottle Mobil1 & just tweak a couple of things in it (seals, viscosity, & zddp maybe).
Iron wear was very good. Your air filter & air path are tightly sealed since silicon is low, just enough silicon to account for normal anti-foam additives. Good viscosity, very clean report.

Originally Posted by CEHepp
It is going to get my point across that his belief that Pennzoil makes a terrible oil and my engine will be toast by the time I change the oil is verifiably not true.

Pennzoil makes an excellent oil, as does Mobil, which is why I find it curious you felt it necessary to defile it with aftermarket additives
21.gif

I don't believe that what you are trying to achieve here is within the scope of utility for Used Oil Analysis. You'll likely see some minuscule variance in PPM between the two lubricants, which demonstrates nothing more than both provided adequate performance over the experienced duration. If that was the purpose, then I'd say you succeeded, but that's not what you outlined in the OP with regards to your wager, which could be affected by ambient temperature, dust, driving style...etc.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That's not the purpose of UOA's, so this is an entirely pointless endeavour. They lack the resolution and repeatability to be used in this manner.

To within a bell curve it works. Besides, its just a fun bet to make.
Pennzoil Platinum is made by a reputable company just like the M1 so both are decent and well proven.

Pennzoil makes an excellent oil, as does Mobil, which is why I find it curious you felt it necessary to defile it with aftermarket additives
21.gif

I don't believe that what you are trying to achieve here is within the scope of utility for Used Oil Analysis. You'll likely see some minuscule variance in PPM between the two lubricants, which demonstrates nothing more than both provided adequate performance over the experienced duration. If that was the purpose, then I'd say you succeeded, but that's not what you outlined in the OP with regards to your wager, which could be affected by ambient temperature, dust, driving style...etc.

Defile it? It's engine oil. Not a sacred text.

If you'd honestly like my reasoning for using these additives, I'll type it below.

I've been using MoS2 in every internal combustion engine for as long as I can remember. Knock on wood, I've never had a mechanical failure to speak of. Not even oil seals. I believe the MoS2 has something to do with it. I also use this additive in my air compressor and it is measurably quieter. At worst, it's doing nothing and I'm wasting my money.

This vehicle is the only one I've been adding Motor Oil Saver to. And for one big reason. I recently purchased this vehicle and wanted to make sure the valve stem seals are doing their best at keeping oil where it belongs because this vehicle has the most sensitive catalytic converters I've ever seen. Even a small amount of oil burning from this engine has time and time again caused converter failures on my customers cars. I aim to prevent that by running this additive a couple of times and then maintaining everything with high mileage oil after I stop using it.

As far as it being a completely scientific test, I never said that it was. It's just a bet with a coworker that thinks Pennzoil is the worst oil maker on the planet.

21.gif

Defile it? It's engine oil. Not a sacred text.

If you'd honestly like my reasoning for using these additives, I'll type it below.

I've been using MoS2 in every internal combustion engine for as long as I can remember. Knock on wood, I've never had a mechanical failure to speak of. Not even oil seals. I believe the MoS2 has something to do with it. I also use this additive in my air compressor and it is measurably quieter. At worst, it's doing nothing and I'm wasting my money.

This vehicle is the only one I've been adding Motor Oil Saver to. And for one big reason. I recently purchased this vehicle and wanted to make sure the valve stem seals are doing their best at keeping oil where it belongs because this vehicle has the most sensitive catalytic converters I've ever seen. Even a small amount of oil burning from this engine has time and time again caused converter failures on my customers cars. I aim to prevent that by running this additive a couple of times and then maintaining everything with high mileage oil after I stop using it.

As far as it being a completely scientific test, I never said that it was. It's just a bet with a coworker that thinks Pennzoil is the worst oil maker on the planet.

OK, but there are plenty of us on here who have never had a failure, even seals, not using it
wink.gif

I'd likely be inclined to use a high mileage oil like what you used, or Maxlife, for the seal issue, rather than an additive. My inclination is to use an oil as it is blended and tested, rather than altering the chemistry and potentially affecting its performance.

I'll agree with the intention of your wager, I think he's out to lunch too, I just wanted to ensure you were aware of the limitations and purpose of UOA's. Your use of additives also caught my interest, since they have the potential to affect the results.

This test isn't scientific. You need more data points to show any sort of trend. Not to mention there would be leftover mobil 1 in the engine from the previous run.

It may be a fun bet, but definitely doesn't prove anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back