Coleman/Parsun outboard oil question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a used Coleman 5hp outboard today for a coulpe hundred dollars. Oil spec is 10w30 or 10w40 api SE to SJ. I picked up a liter of super tech 10w40 which is SN, as finding SJ or earlier is pretty much impossible. Im assuming its totally fine to use and im maybe just over thinking it. Motor is a 2012 model

They are made my Parsun in China. Not real popular on this side of the pond but lots of youtube videos from Russia about them. Apparently they bought out some Yugoslavian company a few years back.

What ive found is they are maybe a knock off Yami.

20190224_000134.jpg

20190223_225552.jpg

Interesting!

I always wanted to try a Briggs & Stratton outboard....

MAINLY because I had always wished I could have done *exactly* what they did (when I was a kid) ....

People complain they are loud.... I think it probably sounds exactly like it is supposed to sound like.

Originally Posted by leeaspell
Apparently they bought out some Yugoslavian company a few years back.

Only Yugoslavian company that was producing outboards (and mopeds) was TOMOS in Koper (nowadays it is in Slovenia after our brakeup with our "south").... And we never had 4stroke outboards...

Only equivalent for that Coleman 5Hp would be Tomos 4.8....but its 80ccm 2stroker...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Linctex
Interesting!

I always wanted to try a Briggs & Stratton outboard....

MAINLY because I had always wished I could have done *exactly* what they did (when I was a kid) ....

People complain they are loud.... I think it probably sounds exactly like it is supposed to sound like.

A friend has one. I was going to rig up an underwater exhaust using iron plumbing pipe to tone it down, but he let me he carb get plugged up and so he abandoned the idea.

Imagine a rototiller strapped to your transom. That's what it sounded like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back