Cheap German cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ram_man
What kind of rear brake issues would you be concerned with? He did mention through text message that it does intermittently throw a p2181 code . For coolant system performance.
He said he replaced the temp sensor so my hunch is it needs a thermostat possibly. Any thoughts?

Those go through pads quicker than your average Toyota or Honda, so that would be my bet. From my personal experience they are picky about aftermarket brake parts, so use what you'd like, but OEM is the way to go IMO.

The coolant system performance is more than likely the thermostat. I was actually having an issue with my Jetta 2.5 not warming up quickly, but while the thermostat is cheap the replacement process is an absolute bear. Pretty much have to take alot of the front end off to even think about getting near it if I recall correctly.

It has an aftermarket Android head unit, on the MK5 chassis this will likely result in battery drain issues unless the CAN Gateway has been updated. Won't be noticed if the car is a daily driver but if parked for a few days will result in no crank.

Check for torn CV boots at that age/mileage, as well as end links. Wheel bearings tend to go regularly, so check for rumble or noise.

What kind of rear brake issues would you be concerned with? He did mention through text message that it does intermittently throw a p2181 code . For coolant system performance.
He said he replaced the temp sensor so my hunch is it needs a thermostat possibly. Any thoughts?

These have calipers that are prone to stuck if not driven that often, or when pads changed pins not lubricate. Also, rear pads are bit undersized so that eats them also. However, they are still ok if OE are used or Textar or ATE pads. Forget Auto Zone and similar.

well if I did, that would be ancedotal information. I prefer to follow the publications that study such things over "just my experience". But point taken....I doubt BMW's have constant issues...

That is the point, regular customers of Nissan Sentra saying how European cars are just not reliable so customer never bought one.
Here is how that goes.
I settled to buy Toyota Sienna when I decided to buy minivan for expanding family, mostly bcs. it is only minivan that has AWD and I can manually shift, which comes handy going downhill in the Rockies.
So, I get to Toyota dealer and get out of BMW and guy, after saying hi etc. says: so what brings you in? I said Sienna, I wanna check what you have.
He: Oh ok, you trading BMW.
Me: yes.
He: oh ok, yeah those are best to get rd of after few years.
Me: Why?
He: Well, not really most reliable. Their V6 engines are just not that good.
Me: I really cannot say anything about that.
He: You did not have any issues.
Me. I did some on SCR system that plagues all diesels, but cannot say anything about V6 since BMW never made nor it is making V6 engines, so do not want to assume anything.
He. So what engine does it have?
Me: inline 6.
That is where he changed subject as I bet he was thinking what in the [censored] is inline 6.

Originally Posted by Delta

Those go through pads quicker than your average Toyota or Honda, so that would be my bet. From my personal experience they are picky about aftermarket brake parts, so use what you'd like, but OEM is the way to go IMO.

The coolant system performance is more than likely the thermostat. I was actually having an issue with my Jetta 2.5 not warming up quickly, but while the thermostat is cheap the replacement process is an absolute bear. Pretty much have to take alot of the front end off to even think about getting near it if I recall correctly.

I saw you have to remove the intake to get to it. Would i have to remove the front end to?

Originally Posted by Delta

can be a pain in the pecker

lol.gif

I saw you have to remove the intake to get to it. Would i have to remove the front end to?

I'm not 100% sure, but in order to get the bottom bolts out of the intake you atleast would have to remove the radiator/fans from what I can remember my old car looking like. I think you can do the thermostat without removing the intake, but the front end has to come off. I traded it in before it threw the code, but was definitely going South. You also can't use any cheap all makes, all model coolant. You need G12 or the current G13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back