Does Kia & Hundai use same motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Kia Soul....some have 1.6 and others 2.0. Just wondering if the two companies share these motors? Are the Kia's finicky about oil filters?

Yes, Kia and Hyundai experience the same oil filter issues. Stick with OEM. Good quality. $5

Engines used in Soul are very reliable,

Last edited:
Same engines. Filter issue is an old, old wives tale. I and many others have used aftermarket without drama but OEM is a nicely constructed filter too.

Yup, many Hyundai and Kia models share drivetrains and basic framework, but sheet metal, seats and other interior styling are unique to each brand.
Genisis is similar, but is moving away more in their own direction.

Originally Posted by wemay
Same engines. Filter issue is an old, old wives tale. I and many others have used aftermarket without drama but OEM is a nicely constructed filter too.

I agree, but the filter issue is [partially] an old wives' tale. I am 100% against preaching ONLY the OEM filter, but there are a few bad ones. I had a dealer install a "TecSelect" T4612 on mine before I bought it. Absolutely the worst, noisiest filter I've used on any car, ever. Swapped with a WIX, now it's quiet as ever. As you said, no drama with the WIX.

If you have an oil change done at the dealer, they are not obligated to use OEM filters. What they use in front of the autoparts counter, is not what might exist behind that counter, which usually houSes OEM.

I don't know of any situations where consumers purchased the bulk oil or bulk filters. Maybe times have changed, I dunno.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If you have an oil change done at the dealer, they are not obligated to use OEM filters. What they use in front of the autoparts counter, is not what might exist behind that counter, which usually houSes OEM.

I don't know of any situations where consumers purchased the bulk oil or bulk filters. Maybe times have changed, I dunno.

FWIW, my Chrysler dealer only stocks OEM filters. If they are doing a service on a vehicle from another brand they will bring in that brand's OEM filter (Motorcraft for a Ford for example).

In the 10 changes I have done on my Hyundai's at Hyundai dealers, only OEM Hyundai filters were used.
At the 5 dealer changes on my Scion, only Toyota filters were used.
Every Ford dealer oil change on a Ford has been Motorcraft filters.

No ideal about other dealers, but that is my experience.

Heck, even on my new to me Hyundai that was bought from an Acura dealer, they used an OEM Hyundai Filter.

Thanks folks. I'm still shopping but the Soul seems to fit my needs if I can find one priced right. I'm eyeing a '15 at local ford dealer, owned previously by an employee, 54K and they are firm on $10,900. Downside for me is dang thing is yellow! lol

My daughter-in-law drives a Soul of this vintage. It's a solid, reliable vehicle, but even she will tell you, it's butt-ugly. That yellow color only makes matters worse (IMO, of course). Hers is silver, thank goodness...

Some cars need window tinting. Not to help the AC or cut down UV rays, but rather, so others can't see that it's YOU driving it!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by tc1446
Thanks folks. I'm still shopping but the Soul seems to fit my needs if I can find one priced right. I'm eyeing a '15 at local ford dealer, owned previously by an employee, 54K and they are firm on $10,900. Downside for me is dang thing is yellow! lol

Sounds pretty high.

They had new Souls for like $12k a few years ago.

2 years ago my 15' Sonata was $9,990 with 52k miles.

What trim is that Soul? if it is an Exclaim, then $10,900 is not bad, if a Plus or Base, that is a little high IMO. Plus the color, if you don't like it now, how will you feel in 5 years?
It is not like there are not a lot of them around.

Its a Base I think. Big plus is solid history of previous owner having done regular oil/filter changes...about every 6K or less. I really don't hate the yellow; I prefer something that stands out less. I'm in no hurry, and you're right; there are lots of them out there for sale.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

FWIW, my Chrysler dealer only stocks OEM filters. If they are doing a service on a vehicle from another brand they will bring in that brand's OEM filter (Motorcraft for a Ford for example).

Same at my dealership. When I had the company van serviced (now my dad's van) while it was in for recalls/warranty they always used a Mopar filter or at least that is what they billed me for on the invoice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tc1446
Its a Base I think. Big plus is solid history of previous owner having done regular oil/filter changes...about every 6K or less. I really don't hate the yellow; I prefer something that stands out less. I'm in no hurry, and you're right; there are lots of them out there for sale.

Yeah, just keep your eye out. I have a saved search on Carguru.com that I can look and see what is available around me.
My mom is wanting a Soul for her next car (still about a year away). I have decided it will be at least a Plus model, and no weird colors (although she told me she like the green one they have).
We almost bought a Soul in 2012, but went with the Scion xB instead. Drive nice, easy to get in and out of, roomy inside and decent storage to haul some boxes and such.

My adult son has a '14 or '15 Soul (1.6L) with about 110K miles on it and it has been rock solid for reliability and lack of even annoyance type issues. It seems to have very high build quality for such a low price. If only they would improve the looks.

My 2010 Soul is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had.

Earlier Kia's used Hyundai engines; the 2.0L I-4 in my Soul is the same one that is used in the Elantra.

Ironically, a 2010 Kia Spectra (?) with a 2.0L I-4 uses a different 2.0L I-4 engine developed by Kia!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back