2005 Forester Upper Radiator Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last year or so has been leaking drops here and there on timing belt cover. I've tightened the clamp and it quits. Decided to try a new clamp today and it puked a decent amount of coolant instead of drips. Hoses were last replaced... At least 5 years ago. The hose is loose when clamps are removed (not stuck to the ends) and the clamps have really squished the hose down where they've been. Time for a new hose? Should be a quick fix for the top, but don't really want to do the rest as I just drained coolant 9 months ago...

If this came with spring type hose clamps get some new ones and a new hose. The more common screw to tighten clamps can leak with temp changes. The spring type keeps constant tension.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Over the last year or so has been leaking drops here and there on timing belt cover. I've tightened the clamp and it quits. Decided to try a new clamp today and it puked a decent amount of coolant instead of drips. Hoses were last replaced... At least 5 years ago. The hose is loose when clamps are removed (not stuck to the ends) and the clamps have really squished the hose down where they've been. Time for a new hose? Should be a quick fix for the top, but don't really want to do the rest as I just drained coolant 9 months ago...

Change the hose, but this time use better quality, a good quality hose should last a lot longer than 5 yrs

Since I currently rent and can't do work on property that makes messes, called up my mechanic and he got me in today. Pressure tested the system, cleaned off hose and connections, radiator cap was leaking some under pressure when he pressure tested, replaced that, new clamps on upper hose, tightened the other hoses, and that's it. $12 for the new radiator cap and an hour of labor 🙄 Said hose was fine, system was fine, no leaks after replacing cap. Stupid cars. Well, maybe he'll take his wife out to dinner tonight on me...

I like constant tension hose clamps and Mayhew cable operated pliers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back