Water Pump Replacement Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I young lady in my church is purchasing a '99 Camry V6 with 147K on it. Original owner. Oil changed every 3K with Toyota dealership oil. Timing belt done at 100K.

(This is a Japan made Camry)

When the owner did the timing belt, he only changed the timing belt. He didn't do the water pump or tensioners.

My question is, "Do I have the water pump changed now and just do the complete timing belt with tensioners now or wait til 200K?"

Is the water pump leaking? Any noise from the tensioner or idlers? Was the coolant changed?

The timing belt interval is 60k anyway, so it's coming up soon regardless
crazy2.gif

My thoughts on timing belt replacement; if it touches the belt and spins replace it. Use only OEM parts then you will not worry about the part quality. Don't forget to replace the belt tensioner while you're in there.

Originally Posted by CT8
Is the water pump leaking? Any noise from the tensioner or idlers? Was the coolant changed?

No, no, yes

If it's one of those water pumps that go inside the engine, you'll want to replace the timing belt and tensioner along with it.

No sense in paying for labor twice.

If not leaking or making noise, wait until 160K and change the belt, tensioners and water pump all at one time. As others said, use Toyota OEM parts.

Just leave it alone until the next timing belt change or if it leaks. It is a 99 and anything can happen anytime when a car is at this age, and if something happens do it at the same time.

Originally Posted by CT8

When it is time to do the belt again then change all the appurtenant parts. It seems like a well maintained car.

I didn't see the OP mention the year the timing belt was last changed. If it was long ago, age could be more of a factor than mileage.

Regardless, if the scheduled change is every 60k, I'd just plan on changing everything "soon." Like, by 150k.

If the water pump doesn't have any bearing movement, maybe it'd go to the next change after this one. But the water pump is right there, everything will already be apart, and it'd be pretty annoying to have the timing belt done but then have the water pump go a short time later and basically have to do it all again. Even worse, if the water pump went out in a disastrous way, it could take the timing belt and engine with it.

So it comes down to: how much do you trust a 1999 water pump with 150,000 to 200,000 miles on it?

The weep hole will leak coolant by the aluminum center bracket if the waterpump is going bad. You'll see a small trail of coolant where the crank pulley timing marks/crank sensor area is.

if this an interference engine anything in the timing belt assembly that fails will likely junk the engine. my 1.8T Vag motors are similar + i buy a COMPLETE kit that includes the in block water pump + all the tensioner + roller parts. those parts cost less than labor if your paying for it, + everything costs a lot less than a failure while driving.

Originally Posted by benjy
if this an interference engine anything in the timing belt assembly that fails will likely junk the engine. my 1.8T Vag motors are similar + i buy a COMPLETE kit that includes the in block water pump + all the tensioner + roller parts. those parts cost less than labor if your paying for it, + everything costs a lot less than a failure while driving.

The 1MZ-FE is a free-wheeling engine.

The recommendations to only use OEM Toyota is not required. You can save money and still have a good quality timing set with a Gates kit which includes everything inc, the water pump.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
The recommendations to only use OEM Toyota is not required. You can save money and still have a good quality timing set with a Gates kit which includes everything inc, the water pump.

The Gates pumps are junk - made in China and do fail. Everything else is decent - but Gates has been quietly substituting Chinese idler and tensioner bearings instead of OEM supplier ones(Koyo/NTN/Nachi) in their kits. You need to get one that says OE Exact. The Subaru guys swore by the Gates kits without water pump until recently.

Aisin is the preferred aftermarket kit for Toyotas.

Last edited:
I agree about the Gates kits being poor quality. I used one on my Accord a while back when it was what they had at NAPA and I wanted to get something local. The water pump failed shortly thereafter (leaking from the weep hole), so I got an Aisin kit even though it wasn't OEM to the Honda. The difference in appearance between the pumps was remarkable, the Aisin pump was much higher quality.

Also a Gates timing belt I once bought for my Sienna was thicker and stiffer than the original belt and was difficult to keep in place while installing. It also had slightly misplaced timing marks. A Mitsuboshi belt was thinner, easier to install and the marks lined up perfectly.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

As thatch already noted, Gates is inferior to the OEM parts.

The good news is you don't have to go to the dealer to get the OEM parts. The Aisin kit available at auto parts stores and online on Amazon and Rock Auto contains all the OE parts at a cost less than what the dealer charges
smile.gif

No worries. I ain't using Gates. I'm only OEM Yota or the Aisin kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back