Leaky FL400s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, doesn't seem like Purolator is on top of quality control at all still! Had to replace a FL400s on my Tacoma earlier due to it leaking, despite being tightened down properly and baseplate cleaned off good initially, filter had roughly 1000 miles on it. I didn't bother inspecting the filter and why it was leaking as the wind was blowing and it's below zero outside on top of it! Replaced with a Fram OCOD 3614, hoping I don't have to do this again.

Think I'm just gonna stick with Fram or OEM filters from now on, as anything made by Mann/Hummel has proven to be an inferior product in recent years. Oil filters aren't a complex design, but they've somehow managed to screw the pooch on it big time!

Probably leaking at the base crimp area if it wasn't the rubber gasket.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Probably leaking at the base crimp area if it wasn't the rubber gasket.

Probably

not to nag or any thing, and if it's what you had on hand, probably not too big of a deal, but the "proper" cross ref for the 400s is a 3600(which is just a longer version).
you're now using an "undersized" filter.

the 3614's motorcraft cross is the 910s - used on the 4cyl EB's, and the 2.5.( also the right size for many riding mowers)

Originally Posted by earlyre
not to nag or any thing, and if it's what you had on hand, probably not too big of a deal, but the "proper" cross ref for the 400s is a 3600(which is just a longer version).

the 3614's motorcraft cross is the 910s - used on the 4cyl EB's, and the 2.5.( also the right size for many riding mowers)

They're actually both oversized for my application. The 3614/910s is the proper size. I got the FL from a sale at Wally a few months back and figured it was okay to give a try as it's just a longer 910s essentially.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Do you still have the filter? Pics might be worthwhile.

^^^^^^^
Yeah I agree
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jongies3
Originally Posted by earlyre

They're actually both oversized for my application. The 3614/910s is the proper size. I got the FL from a sale at Wally a few months back and figured it was okay to give a try as it's just a longer 910s essentially.

Roger that. I've been know to use an oversized unit myself a time or two. just can't see an undersized being a good thing.. no worries pal!

Originally Posted by PimTac
Do you still have the filter? Pics might be worthwhile.

Yeah but I'm not digging through the dumpster for it! It was so cold and windy, plus my frustration on top of it all I just wanted to get the swap done and get inside out of the weather so the 400 got tossed and the Fram slapped on fast.

I did take a pic of the new filter though for funsies! LOL

Can't say I'm a fan of its location, though.

53012118_306456970225505_8909598064264609792_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back